TTT - Travel Trailer Towing Question

Hi All,
I own a 2016 CX-5 GT w/ 2.5 liter engine. Towing maximum is stated as 2000 lbs. I'm pondering getting a "lightweight" travel trailer. Specifically looking at the A-Liner models (Ranger 12 or Scout) that weigh in 1450 ~ 1395 lbs, respectively. Of course thats "Dry weight" with no add-ons, and gear. What's the opinion of the community on towing this much weight with my CX-5? What about packing gear in the car...does that not count as towing weight also? And what about getting a transmission cooler? (if there's such a thing) ~ Thank you.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 5.06.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 5.06.17 PM.png
    139.4 KB · Views: 224
Stuff packed in the car counts as cargo/towing weight. Can’t add a transmission cooler as there are no ATF lines running in or out of the transmission. The transmission fluid is cooled by the engine coolant running to and from the transmission itself.

Sounds doable with 2 people and no water in the storage tank. 4 people and cargo is going to be pushing it. I don’t think I’d be comfortable going across country but you should be good otherwise (staying under the weight limit).

Consider testing and changing your transmission fluid if you take up towing. It’s a “lifetime” fill for typical driving situations, but towing near max capacity changes things a bit.

I should add that the Aliner trailers have their own set of brakes. I was reading how breaking can put a ton (pun intended) of additional pressure on your car.

I should add that the Aliner trailers have their own set of brakes. I was reading how breaking can put a ton (pun intended) of additional pressure on your car.
That’s good. That would give me peace of mind while driving. Much safer! : )

I like it. I'd get one - and a big SUV with a V8 and real tow rating to tow it, like the 2013 LX 570 I bought in 2016 and drove before my CX-5 - in a second, if I had the money. I originally was planning on using the towing capability, but decided it wasn't a wise use of money and sold the vehicle. Yes, it's a very safe, comfortable, and capable vehicle, but it was also having relations with my wallet. I prioritized my budget, cut back on expenses, and stopped wasting money. I am saving up for a move cross country later this year and will tow a Uhaul 5x8 trailer with my CX-5 AWD. It's 900 pounds empty with a max load of 1,800 pounds.

That truck was great but even with strong resale it cost me about $26,000 in payments for the 3 years of ownership I had it, not including maintenance (mostly covered under certified warranty), and gas cost at 13mpg. It was a stupid waste of money.

That said, I still hope to own a real travel trailer someday. There are lots of used travel trailers out there, I'd probably buy a used late model one.

Last edited:
The same vehicle is rated at 4000lb towing (2.5 and 2.0L) with trailer brakes in most parts of the world. The brakes on that trailer with that weight certainly will be no issue.

The same vehicle is rated at 4000lb towing (2.5 and 2.0L) with trailer brakes in most parts of the world. The brakes on that trailer with that weight certainly will be no issue.

Great point, Chris. Here’s a long but entertaining post (imo) regarding US vs EU towing capacities: https://oppositelock.kinja.com/tow-me-down-1609112611

Craziest thing I’ve ever seen towed was over at OdyClub. Dude pulls a legit gigantic Airstream with his Honda Odyssey. 3500 lb towing capacity but routinely pulls a 7500 lb loaded trailer. Here’s his blog https://medium.com/@andreasduess/you-cant-tow-it-with-that-9d469685e6a7

OPs scenario is no where near that situation LOL

It should be safe enough but will accelerate wear on the drivetrain.
If you only go short distances and avoid mountains it might not be too bad.

No problems!

Towing is NOT to be taken lightly, but put in the extra effort, like getting actual weights and running well over 10% of the trailer's weight on the tongue and you will be fine.

I recommend sway control, like this:
Be sure your hitch rating exceeds the weight and tongue weight of your trailer.

I use an Inertia based brake controller. It applies the trailer brakes proportionally to your deceleration rate. Trailer brakes require a 7-pin trailer connector. I have the Tow-Pro Elite.

Have a look at the other recent towing thread.

Last edited:
Back