Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

Traditionally this has always been true, but I feel that is less so over the past 2 gens. Traditionally the x70 card has been a slightly cut down x80 card (same chip or variat of same chip, fewer CUDA cores, maybe different bus-width/memory config). With the 10 and 20 series, the x70 is not even the same chip as the 80 card, not the same memory type or bus width which definitely makes it not as attractive as it once was for the price.

**** EA.

I've just been replaying the Witcher series after watching the Netflix series over Christmas/New Years. Although really clunky combat mechanics, I forgot how much I really enjoyed the first auto clicker game.

Maybe I'll consider that after Control. Control is the most fun I've had in awhile on a SP game. I'm like drawing it out because I don't want it to end.

Last edited:
Well, I'm starting to have freezing issues when gaming with my i7-4790k/GTX 980, nearly 6 year old PC now. Was really hoping to wait to see how Zen 3/RTX 3000 series turns out before looking at building a new PC, but we'll see...depends on if this issue gets exponentially worse. Haven't sat down to really troubleshoot it yet.

Going back to the graphics cards, I really am looking at options again between the 1080 Ti used, 2070 Super, and 2080 Super. 1080 Ti still makes a lot of sense for the performance numbers as the 2080 Super is basically the same performance, obviously no RTX features on the 1080 Ti, but I don't really care.

That said, still would be super nervous about used 1080 Ti's. Mining would have had them pegged at 100% usage 24/7 and that's the kind of thing that prematurely ages and kills these things sooner than they should. And psychologically, I don't like that for the money I can still only get a 4 year old card worth of performance (1080 Ti was released in 2016, 2080 Super last year but equal performance for like $700). $700 for equal performance to a card from 2016 seems absurd to me. Honestly very depressing.

Or do I just say **** it and go big with a 2080 Ti to feel like a real upgrade? Ugh. I really hate the graphics space right now.

At least on the CPU side, would be nice to wait for Zen 3, but wouldn't feel bad grabbing a Ryzen 7 3700X or a Ryzen 9 3900X. Maybe an Intel i7-10700k, but not thrilled about it's 250-350W power consumption on turbo, but to be fair, the 3900X can get to the 220's itself. For gaming the Intel obviously wins, but depending on some things, Ryzen may make sense to save a few bucks for the expense of a few frames. I'm not really happy that the Intel is basically just another rework of 6th gen when they first launched 14nm. Kinda feel like rewarding AMD for becoming competitive and innovative in the space again.

Would just keep trucking along, but the i7-4790k/GTX 980 is showing it's deficiencies running newer games on my new-ish (bought a year ago) 1440p 32" monitor. I've tried 4k in the past, but 4k I don't like because I find things and text especially too small for me. 1440p is a nice compromise.

Last edited:
I have a 1080Ti that was used for mining for a year or so I believe. Had it since I said I got it, and it runs great. Still running a i7-7700K (not OC'ed) and my 1080Ti, and it shreds games.

Or do I just say **** it and go big with a 2080 Ti to feel like a real upgrade? Ugh. I really hate the graphics space right now.

There's no way in hell I'm paying over a grand for a video card. Just cannot bring myself to do it. This is why it will always be the 70 for me.

I've tried 4k in the past, but 4k I don't like because I find things and text especially too small for me. 1440p is a nice compromise.

Totally agree. 4K sucks. I hooked my gaming rig up to my 4K TV and played some Civ6. The text was so freaking small, it was awful. Gorgeous, but I had to sit 5 feet from the TV to read anything.

Playing Half Life: Alyx right now. This is the game that should make you get VR finally. It's that good.

I have a 1080Ti that was used for mining for a year or so I believe. Had it since I said I got it, and it runs great. Still running a i7-7700K (not OC'ed) and my 1080Ti, and it shreds games.

Well, glad it is working for you. 1080 Ti as far as I am concerned is still king. It's still better than all the rest of Nvidia's current offerings minus the absurdly priced 2080 Ti. When the 2080 Super released it was like woopty-do Nvidia, we get it, you can make a 1080 Ti now with RTX, meh.

As for the CPU, mostly just looking to get onto a newer platform so I can start getting M.2 NVME storage + SSD's and maybe retire my mechanical drives used in current rig for Games drive and Storage drive and re-purpose to some other use. Going back to the storage piece, the AMD platform would have support for PCI-E 4.0 while the Intel doesn't, so that makes me lean AMD. Technically I have support for M.2 NVME on my Z97 DELUXE board, but might as well get up to date as RAM support here is still DDR3 instead of DDR4 too.

There's no way in hell I'm paying over a grand for a video card. Just cannot bring myself to do it. This is why it will always be the 70 for me.

You're right of course. 80 cards have been fine too back when they used to be $500-$600. I'm just irked because the 2070 Super is actually worse than a 1080 Ti, so it seems like money spent now in 2020 is at best buying 2016 performance.

At this point going to try to hold out to see what Big Navi and RTX 3000 looks like. Supposedly announcements in August.

Totally agree. 4K sucks. I hooked my gaming rig up to my 4K TV and played some Civ6. The text was so freaking small, it was awful. Gorgeous, but I had to sit 5 feet from the TV to read anything.

Playing Half Life: Alyx right now. This is the game that should make you get VR finally. It's that good.

Yeah, 4k has the pixel density for gorgeous graphics (if you have the hardware to drive it), but I find it less than ideal for all other situations and for reading. If we're talking productivity screen real estate, I'd rather have 2-3 monitors over 1 large monitor. Quite happy with my 32" 1440p monitor.

Have not tried VR yet at all. Really want to find a way to try it to see if it's something I want to get into. Have you ever heard of the game Subnautica? 95% underwater survival game. Absolutely gorgeous. I think there is VR for it, though don't quote me on that. Would be a fantastic game to VR with I would think.

Last edited:
I'm running 32 of 2400ms ddr4. 3400ms would get me 1-4fps higher. Not worth it in the least.

My PC is now 3 years old, minus an upgraded PSU and the swap from 1080gtx to 1080ti. It has been flawless, and I've yet to find a game it cant shred on maxed settings. I run a g sync 23.8" Dell with 2560x1440p. I do fps and like smaller screens. 4k, for me, was diminishing returns in 2017, and until the 3000 series cards, still is. I'm holding on upgrades from my current system until the first price drop on the 3000 series stuff. My avg fps in the new Ghost Recon maxed at 2560 was 70fps, with a low of low 50s. 60fps avg is my minimum for a game before I begin tweaking settings down from max and ultimately looking at new hardware. SSD runs system, spinny disks run storage and games. Huge debate some years ago about WoW doing better on ssd's, but never proven as far as I know and I'm not THAT hardcore to be superstitious about it.

I paid $450 for my 1080ti and sold the gtx for $250, iirc. If it dies, I lost $200 for now about a year of 30% higher fps by my own data. Good enough.

This was an interesting read. Seems like the RTX cards really only make sense if games are optimized for Turing. Otherwise 1080 Ti is still king (minus the 2080 Ti).

@Unobtanium where did you get your card for $450? ebay? New prices are closer to $900+ for 1080tis new on Newegg and Amazon. Seems steep.

I'm still running an older 970, decent performance on 1080p with modern games, but unusable at 4k resolution with modern games. Would prefer a newer card to take advantage of my TV's native 4k resolution.

Looking on eBay, I might be able to get a whopping 100 bucks for my old card.

@Unobtanium where did you get your card for $450? ebay? New prices are closer to $900+ for 1080tis new on Newegg and Amazon. Seems steep.

I'm still running an older 970, decent performance on 1080p with modern games, but unusable at 4k resolution with modern games. Would prefer a newer card to take advantage of my TV's native 4k resolution.

Some dude on a forum was selling a ton of high end cards for cheap. He had a long post history so I rolled with it. Card arrived looking NIB with anti static wrap, port protectors, etc. Said it was @1 year old though, and used.

What sort of games are you playing? TV is no good for any sort of FPS, but games like Starcraft etc. Look good.

They don't make 10-series cards anymore, so it would be the used market like eBay. Any that are still "new" as in sealed never used are probably what you are seeing for $900.

Still running an older 1080p 27" Widescreen IPS LCD computer monitor. My Samsung 50" 4K TV is a lot newer, so I prefer it for most HD content and games.

Tried running Doom Eternal at 4K and it's a slideshow. No problems at 1080p, and it still looks pretty good. Other content can run at 4K (like Streets of Rage - low resources required!), and there is an unlimited amount of 2160p Movie/TV content on the bay that plays seamlessly off a USB 3 Drive.

Fixed my freezing issue. Started up the hardware monitors and my CPU was hitting 100C under load watercooled! Turns out the jetplate which directs the waterflow through the water channels in the EK waterblock was almost completely gunked up and blocked restricting waterflow. Cleaned up and all looks back to normal. One downside to watercooling...little surprises like that now and then...

Anyway, buys me time to wait for Big Navi/RTX 3000 series for an upgrade :)

Have not tried VR yet at all. Really want to find a way to try it to see if it's something I want to get into. Have you ever heard of the game Subnautica? 95% underwater survival game. Absolutely gorgeous. I think there is VR for it, though don't quote me on that. Would be a fantastic game to VR with I would think.

Yes, I've heard of SN and yes it supports VR. Been thinking about trying that next after I finish Doom and Alyx. Haven't had much game time lately.

I cannot say enough good things about Alyx. Supposedly over a million copies sold. It really is phenomenal. Never been more immersed in a game, nor more terrified. LOL SO GOOD.

Wonder if Zen 3 is going to delay to 2021 now that AMD is releasing a Zen 2 refresh in July.

Back