Off Topic RAV4 Prime pricing announced

:
'22 X3 M40i

Starts at $38,100 and tops out at $47,185. Early shoppers will qualify for the $7,500 EV credit. The options add up quickly on this one.

Ditto. $43,500 was my personal max for a loaded RAV4 Prime. The $5k premium pkg is the deal breaker. You have to select it to get the adaptive headlights. Most of my driving is at night so I gotta have the good lights.

Regardless of price I'm suspicious the Prime will be lesser than the sum of its parts. We'll have to wait for legitimate reviews from R&T, and Car & Driver, but I suspect it'll be a somewhat disjointed driving experience with inconsistent power and fuel economy, heavy FWD bias, multiple power sources, and an eCVT gluing it all together.

I'll be calling the Toyota dealership to get my deposit back, and start looking for a Deep Crystal Blue Signature to park in my garage.

With the EV credit that put the price around 40k fully loaded?
Yes, $47,185 - $7,500 = $39,685.

And there may be other EV rebates available from car manufacture (not likely for RAV4 Prime), state government, utility company, etc. You could get huge discount rate on electricity during off hour charging your EV. Also there may be free access to HOV lane anytime with EV. Ask your Toyota dealer about all available rebates and benefits and you may be surprised.

Toyota cost cutting is still blatant, vinyl seats on a $47K SUV.
Actually it’s not vinyl but it’s SofTex®, a thermoplastic polyurethane material. SofTex® is a synthetic leather with improved breathability and cooling properties. SofTex® reflects more infrared rays regardless of color and will stay approximately 10-degrees cooler than leather or vinyl.

SofTex® definitely is cheaper than leather. Apparently Toyota wants to please PETA by not to use leather on top-of-line trim for most Toyota models. SofTex® is also less environmentally harmful in manufacturing than leather interiors.

That's CPO 2 year old Audi SQ5 money...
Yeah, but people are interested in PHEV such as Toyota RAV4 Prime mainly is for excellent fuel economy and great reliability with decent power. A CPO 2 year old Audi SQ5 can provide none of those!

A friend of mine who has a 2016 Prius Prime for almost 4 years. He has pumped gas once for 8 gallons during all of his 4 years of ownership.

It has nothing to do with PETA and everything to do with cost. I couldn't justify dropping $40,000+ for plastic seats and a poorly implemented, stuck on display screen. Some of Toyota's interior and exterior designs are very questionable. That's just my opinion and these will find buyers. This model makes a lot more sense in markets where gasoline is closer to $5/gallon or equivalent. In the U.S. or Gulf producer regions, it'll take a long, long time to make up the cost premium.

It has nothing to do with PETA and everything to do with cost. I couldn't justify dropping $40,000+ for plastic seats and a poorly implemented, stuck on display screen. Some of Toyota's interior and exterior designs are very questionable. That's just my opinion and these will find buyers. This model makes a lot more sense in markets where gasoline is closer to $5/gallon or equivalent. In the U.S. or Gulf producer regions, it'll take a long, long time to make up the cost premium.
To me, CX-5’s leather looks like synthetic leather too comparing to my VW Passat and BMW 528i. Toyota can sell large quantity of its vehicles with higher price due to its good reputation on reliability. If Toyota can sell 3 times more RAV4’s for higher price with less features than CX-5’s, why not?

Yeah, I hear you. Toyota is known for building a quality and reliable vehicle. However, it is my opinion that Toyota holds back on its interiors to separate them from their Lexus equivalents. Sit in a Toyota interior and then the equivalent Lexus model and there is a huge difference, even comparing Toyota's top trims. You won't find real wood in a Toyota, even a $80,000 Land Cruiser. The $80,000 Land Cruiser does come with real leather, at least.

Mazda has no higher priced luxury brand, and provides a high quality interior and exterior design comparable to a luxury brand for a better price, as well as top reliability rankings. So that's why I went with them after 11 years of driving a Lexus. I do prefer the interior, exterior, and driving experience over the current gen Rav4.

To me, CX-5’s leather looks like synthetic leather too comparing to my VW Passat and BMW 528i. Toyota can sell large quantity of its vehicles with higher price due to its good reputation on reliability. If Toyota can sell 3 times more RAV4’s for higher price with less features than CX-5’s, why not?

Problem with CX-5 is while it uses real leather, the seats are very uncomfortable. There just isn't much support at all. I sat in one of the CX-5 Sig, while the soft leather is nice they have very little cushioning. Almost like sitting on wood. The interior is also cramped and gets terrible gas mileage.

Why would anyone buy a CX-5 at this point? It's just so outdated and gets terrible gas milage compared to the RAV4 Hybrid and now the CRV Hybrid.

Problem with CX-5 is while it uses real leather, the seats are very uncomfortable. There just isn't much support at all. I sat in one of the CX-5 Sig, while the soft leather is nice they have very little cushioning. Almost like sitting on wood. The interior is also cramped and gets terrible gas mileage.

Why would anyone buy a CX-5 at this point? It's just so outdated and gets terrible gas milage compared to the RAV4 Hybrid and now the CRV Hybrid.
Because some people enjoy the way Mazdas/CX-5's drive compared to the competition, and those buyers put a higher value on those qualities vs fuel economy. That is Mazda's nitch. I've driven the CRV and RAV4, and as a "driver", those two have nothing on the CX-5 other than fuel economy and a few extra cubic ft of storage.

Yeah, but people are interested in PHEV such as Toyota RAV4 Prime mainly is for excellent fuel economy and great reliability with decent power. A CPO 2 year old Audi SQ5 can provide none of those!
You may want to rephrase that. The SQ5 provides about 150hp above "decent".

As I said earlier, I suspect those Prime numbers are very selective and exclusive from one another. I'm anxious to read some professional reviews and controlled tests on it. I highly doubt it'll do 0-60 in 5.7 AND get the 90eMPG they're advertising. Also, anything with a CVT/eCVT is a big turnoff for anyone that appreciates a driver's car.

Could care less about real or not on leather. I prefer synthetics anyways. My issue is the awd system in the new Prime. Its supposedly the same as the current Hybrid, which only works below 55mph.

Could care less about real or not on leather. I prefer synthetics anyways. My issue is the awd system in the new Prime. Its supposedly the same as the current Hybrid, which only works below 55mph.
And only 54hp of that 302hp is available to the rear wheel. VERY FWD biased. 5.7 to 60 will only be available in ideal conditions. I'm assuming there will be a lot of wheel spin up front otherwise.

And only 54hp of that 302hp is available to the rear wheel. VERY FWD biased. 5.7 to 60 will only be available in ideal conditions. I'm assuming there will be a lot of wheel spin up front otherwise.
If that's accurate, how are they getting 302hp? I presumed it had the 200ish hp gas powering front, and electric on the rear? Still total BS and would never buy it.

If that's accurate, how are they getting 302hp? I presumed it had the 200ish hp gas powering front, and electric on the rear? Still total BS and would never buy it.
It's 175ish gas plus 180ish something elctric motor powering the front, and 54hp in back. I can't find the exact numbers now. All 3 motors hit their peak at different RPMs, so that's why it maxes out at 302hp. Either way, it's 82% of the power to the front and 18% to the rear. That I'm sure of.

It's 175ish gas plus 180ish something elctric motor powering the front, and 54hp in back. I can't find the exact numbers now. All 3 motors hit their peak at different RPMs, so that's why it maxes out at 302hp. Either way, it's 82% of the power to the front and 18% to the rear. That I'm sure of.
Thats the dumbest thing I've heard of. I've lost my appetite to care about the Prime at this point.

Back