What have you done to your CX-5 today?

I went the with Drawtite Class III. The exhaust does need to be dropped for install. Also if you have a buddy help it'll be so much easier. Took us about an hour to install because we wanted to make sure it was torqued correctly. There is a plastic piece in the center that ha to be removed from the bumper. It is not important though.
View attachment 224804View attachment 224805View attachment 224806
That looks nice!

When I was buying my car last year, I was not sure what I wanted to go with. I liked the look of the factory hitch but have a couple of Class III towables (utility trailer and john boat.) I called the local Draw Tite guy and he sent me pics of their aftermarket install. Didn't look anywhere as nice as the job you did, so I went factory ClassII.

The only accessory I would use with a degree of regularity would be a cargo carrier, because I take my trash to a central drop-off place (live in the country.) I still have my paid-for truck to haul trash and tow stuff. Can't decide if I want to sell it to get rid of the overhead, or to keep it so I can have a spare vehicle around (there are no rental places here...Enterprise won't pick me up.)

That looks nice!

When I was buying my car last year, I was not sure what I wanted to go with. I liked the look of the factory hitch but have a couple of Class III towables (utility trailer and john boat.) I called the local Draw Tite guy and he sent me pics of their aftermarket install. Didn't look anywhere as nice as the job you did, so I went factory ClassII.

The only accessory I would use with a degree of regularity would be a cargo carrier, because I take my trash to a central drop-off place (live in the country.) I still have my paid-for truck to haul trash and tow stuff. Can't decide if I want to sell it to get rid of the overhead, or to keep it so I can have a spare vehicle around (there are no rental places here...Enterprise won't pick me up.)

Having a spare vehicle is nice. My 93 Ranger I had was totaled two months ago due to an idiot illegally turning left in front of me. I miss having three vehicles. I would get one again but waiting for everything to return to some sort of normal.

Having a spare vehicle is nice. My 93 Ranger I had was totaled two months ago due to an idiot illegally turning left in front of me. I miss having three vehicles. I would get one again but waiting for everything to return to some sort of normal.
I've been trying to help someone who's buying a used car, and nothing is normal. I just read an article saying that wholesale used car prices dropped 12% in April, while retail only went down 1%.

-April's used car sales were down 35%.
-Hertz may file bankruptcy soon and dump their fleet.

You hear the drum beat of "good prices any day now," but "any day" never arrives. And you and I both know that trucks are NEVER cheap, no matter what is going on. I'm in my 60s and that has been true since before I was born.

Regarding my truck: I'm fortunate that I can carry the overhead and not feel the pinch. I worked for a non-profit (that just went under) doing free home repairs for folks, and have picked up some Habitat work. I don't want to haul tools and supplies to those job sites in a trailer behind my CX-5. So I'll keep my Canyon as a spare.

Received my replacement coil packs from Rock Auto today. Lo and behold, they had the little Mazda emblem on them and the same part number as the factory originals. Beck-Arnley 1788527, cost $42.79 each. Didn't check any dealers but I would imagine they are over $100 apiece. After installation operation is back to normal.

Received my replacement coil packs from Rock Auto today. Lo and behold, they had the little Mazda emblem on them and the same part number as the factory originals. Beck-Arnley 1788527, cost $42.79 each. Didn't check any dealers but I would imagine they are over $100 apiece. After installation operation is back to normal.
Great news and great savings. Thanks for sharing!

Saw the front 3D spider mats were on Amazon warehouse for $50, so I snagged those and threw them in today. They seem really nice.

IMG_20200523_162552.jpg

Also, found some steel wheels with Cooper Weathermaster ST2's on facebook market for $200! They were just a bit dirty, so I cleaned them with some superclean and a brush before storing them until winter. Can't wait to drive the CX-5 with these in the snow!

IMG_20200523_170705.jpg

IMG_20200523_170713.jpg

Scoping how they look! Always kinda liked the rugged look with steel wheels. Not sure about the silver though--I might paint them black or try to chemical strip the silver paint (they were painted).

IMG_20200521_205938.jpg

Also, I was worried about the weight of the steel wheels making the handling feel sluggish, so I was thinking of looking for some aluminum wheels. I pulled one wheel/tire off the CX-5 to compare them and the steelies/coopers are only 2lbs heavier, which seemed a bit odd. Maybe the stock wheels (17" touring/sport) are just on the heavy side?

Last edited:
Tint before/after, 2020 GT + PP.
Front 20% Back 35%

Attachments

• 5ABA540B-27A0-443A-A696-73D16292D856.jpeg
    5ABA540B-27A0-443A-A696-73D16292D856.jpeg
    522.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 50A4ED2B-DB99-4C6A-8971-7AF9F08773CC.jpeg
    50A4ED2B-DB99-4C6A-8971-7AF9F08773CC.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Tint before/after, 2020 GT + PP.
Front 25% Back 35%
I've had my car for a year and have yet to get this done. Do you know what the factory% is? The backs in your pics don't seem to be any different (as best I can tell from a pic.)

I've had my car for a year and have yet to get this done. Do you now what the factory% is? The backs don't seem to be any different.

The back privacy glass is about 20%. I put 35% on the back because I didn’t want it too dark. At night, all windows are pretty hard to see through.

I've had my car for a year and have yet to get this done....

I'm a big fan of window tint. I've had the llumar brand ceramic window film applied to several cars (including front windshield and sunroof) and I think it makes a big difference with heat and uv light rejection. I'll tell you when you notice it the most is when you drive something without the ceramic tint and feel the sun rays cooking you!

I'm a big fan of window tint. I've had the llumar brand ceramic window film applied to several cars (including front windshield and sunroof) and I think it makes a big difference with heat and uv light rejection. I'll tell you when you notice it the most is when you drive something without the ceramic tint and feel the sun rays cooking you!
Thanks!

I've got to get this done, if for no other reason than interior preservation.

Scoping how they look! Always kinda liked the rugged look with steel wheels. Not sure about the silver though--I might paint them black or try to chemical strip the silver paint (they were painted).

View attachment 224837

Also, I was worried about the weight of the steel wheels making the handling feel sluggish, so I was thinking of looking for some aluminum wheels. I pulled one wheel/tire off the CX-5 to compare them and the steelies/coopers are only 2lbs heavier, which seemed a bit odd. Maybe the stock wheels (17" touring/sport) are just on the heavy side?

Nice deal on those tires! If it were me, I'd look into some newer alloys, but you'll have to factor in the cost of the new alloys plus the cost of unmounting and mounting tires, as well as the cost or rebalancing the wheels.

Most OEM wheels are on the heavier side because manufacturers use a casting process to make them. The casting process is a much cheaper option for manufacturers, and to improve durability, the cast wheels are heavier.

Nice deal on those tires! If it were me, I'd look into some newer alloys, but you'll have to factor in the cost of the new alloys plus the cost of unmounting and mounting tires, as well as the cost or rebalancing the wheels.

Most OEM wheels are on the heavier side because manufacturers use a casting process to make them. The casting process is a much cheaper option for manufacturers, and to improve durability, the cast wheels are heavier.

Would really like to but I probably shouldn't--I'm still a student!

Makes sense. Guess I'm just used to looking at weights of aftermarket alloys. Like 17x7 Enkei RPF1s are 15lbs!

Would really like to but I probably shouldn't--I'm still a student!

Makes sense. Guess I'm just used to looking at weights of aftermarket alloys. Like 17x7 Enkei RPF1s are 15lbs!

Lol, I was going to suggest RPF1s. Such a good wheel. Since you're a student, I'd stick with the steel wheels. Personally I'd stick with the silver because I like contrast, but black steel wheels are very common, so you can't go wrong. I see them so often, I kind of expect steel wheels to be black, lol

Just finished the roof side rails. Seems to finish up the look and add sportines and SUV-ness.

I'll say this, I'd recommend OEM Mazda. The alignment was pretty tight and need to pull on them a little to get the holes to line up. That being said, I'd imagine the aftermarket one which are less than half the price might have worse fitment. I do have the aftermarket cross bars on order though.

I'll say this, I'd recommend OEM Mazda. The alignment was pretty tight and need to pull on them a little to get the holes to line up. That being said, I'd imagine the aftermarket one which are less than half the price might have worse fitment. I do have the aftermarket cross bars on order though.

I've no doubt that the OEM ones are good, but as I replied to your other thread, the aftermarket ones (at least the ones I got) fit perfectly fine too, with no "pulling" required:

Now I will say, the difference is that the OEM ones (I believe) have a polished-metal finish, whereas mine are silver painted (like the OEM ones on my 2014 CX-5). But from 6 feet away, you couldn't tell. And for 1/3 or 1/4 the price, I don't mind! :)

I really like my Curt class II I just installed for the same purpose. All you can see is the receiver. The rest of the hitch is hidden well behind the bumper.
It is really nice! I bought the Yakima Hold Up bike rack and I'm very impressed with that as well. Sure makes transporting the bikes a lot easier.

Just finished the roof side rails. Seems to finish up the look and add sportines and SUV-ness.

I had my side rails done before I picked my CX-5 up for the same reason you mentioned. I like the way it says "SUV" and not "bloated sedan."

Back