How to increase HP on my 2019 CX-5?

I just purchased this car used and I love it but I do feel it lack a bit if power when I hit the accelerator. What recommendations do you have to fix this?

^^ what @wlong01 said

past that, what is your budget and what is your appetite for modification?

start with all the items on this page:

then maybe one of these two

once you got all that power.. you gonna want to stiffen things up:

seriously -- you gonna squeeze ~15 more HP out of it with all the above -- but it will FEEL faster :)

oh and don't forget removing 100 pounds of weight from the vehicle equals anywhere from 6HP to 10HP .. so remove the seats and ensure the driver is at horse jockey weight for maximum OOMPH.

Last edited:
Trading it in for the turbo model will save money and anguish in the long run. Why did you buy the non-turbo in a year where the turbo was available, if it was too slow for your taste? I've driven OVT tuned and modded (CAI, etc) 2.5 N/A models, and my turbo would slaughter it. No comparison. Just go get the turbo.

Trading it in for the turbo model will save money and anguish in the long run. Why did you buy the non-turbo in a year where the turbo was available, if it was too slow for your taste? I've driven OVT tuned and modded (CAI, etc) 2.5 N/A models, and my turbo would slaughter it. No comparison. Just go get the turbo.

If it was fast enough before you bought it, what changed to slow it down?

OP said they bought it used. Maybe they didn't have the funds to get the GT Reserve or Signature.

yoyo1979, if you're looking for better acceleration feel or a more responsive throttle feel in daily driving, I highly recommend the Sprint Booster. It's easy to install and comes with a money back guarantee, so it's free to try. However, if you're looking for an improved 0-60 time, you'd have to buy a bunch of bolt-on modifications (air intake, cat-back exhaust, etc.) then get the car tuned to make the most of those mods. At that point, mods + tune + cost of vehicle starts to come very close to the cost of just buying a GT Reserve.

Based on that, I'd suggest trading in your CX-5 for a GT Reserve or a Signature trim if the Sprint Booster/Pedal Commander isn't satisfying enough.

Just to clarify, a sprint booster/pedal commander does not increase power.. it just alters throttle signal. Basically equivalent to pressing your foot down more

Another suggestion would be driving it in sport mode.
It gives the illusion of more power.

I've had our GTR for about 8 months now and have never put it in sport mode.
Used it a few times on our 2016, kinda fun on the 2.5 non-turbo.

Just to clarify, a sprint booster/pedal commander does not increase power.. it just alters throttle signal. Basically equivalent to pressing your foot down more

Just to double clarify the sprint booster/pedal commander take the DELAY or LAG out of the drive by wire foot pedal. IE the pedal (thus the throttle) becomes more sensitive to input. Correct there is no additional HP added, it changes the behavior of the pedal. As I previously posted elsewhere I had the Sprint Booster on my Mini Cooper S and you could definitely tell the different in pedal behavior - it made the vehicle respond (not wait) when I 'put my foot in it' :).

I just purchased this car used and I love it but I do feel it lack a bit if power when I hit the accelerator. What recommendations do you have to fix this?

Reflash ecu
Change muffler system (catback or axleback) better to change catback in order to gain some power.
Change air filter
these things should be enough for daily driver

No one that I know of is doing gen 2 ecus. I'm not sure if Rafael (formerly OVT Philippines) is doing gen 2 either

Ovtphilippines@gmail.com Rafael is the tuner. You can ask if he is tuning gen 2. Expect to spend around $500 but that's for actual power using your flashes ecu (as far as gen 1 tuning).
Idk if he is doing gen 2 but until recently when Matt Wilson (founder) moved to toyota/Lexus tuning Orange Virus Tuning was the ONLY reputable and proven tuner for skyactiv gas engines. Shortly before he got out of the mazda game he sent all mazda tuning to the Philippines arm. Versa tune for example (a sponsor) still doesn't offer gas tuning. Stay away from any obd2 junk, it's just a gimmick. There are no "Cobb" type tuners for this platform. Ecutek was the closest but that's for Miatas

Just to double clarify the sprint booster/pedal commander take the DELAY or LAG out of the drive by wire foot pedal. IE the pedal (thus the throttle) becomes more sensitive to input. Correct there is no additional HP added, it changes the behavior of the pedal. As I previously posted elsewhere I had the Sprint Booster on my Mini Cooper S and you could definitely tell the different in pedal behavior - it made the vehicle respond (not wait) when I 'put my foot in it' :).
so why not just put it in sport mode what's the difference?

so why not just put it in sport mode what's the difference?
That what I'm saying.. if you anticipate a need to use power more aggressively than the trans programming provides, use the equipment you already paid for... sport mode or better yet, manual mode. I use manual mode regularly. I almost never start moving in D and I rarely corner in d because I like to maintain my speed while others are unnecessarily slowing when they could just increase traction.

In the mazda, Sport mode changes the gear selection of the transmission programming, but it doesn’t really change the responsiveness of the gas pedal.

The sprint booster changes how responsive/sensitive the gas pedal is to the drivers input. It doesn’t add power but makes the car react quicker to pedal input (even in manual shifting mode). Like mentionned before it reduces the delay between pressing on the accelerator and the car reacting.

I don’t personally feel a need for it but people who have installed it have been pretty happy with it. And i support the use of manual mode, thats the best way to learn your engine and find out how to get the most of it.

When you floor the pedal you need to really push it all the way down to activate what I call The Button. It takes full flooring and then there is extra acceleration.

sport mode changes the pedal %as well.
put in manual mode in 6th gear and press the sport mode,dont change the amount of input on the gas pedal and u will see the car will accelerate more.turn it of and u will feel like u let off the pedal.
it might change the eco also dont know.

Back