What have you done to your P5 today?

^^ My experience is with their Altimax Arctic winter tires and the outgoing "model" was that they were great as both a winter tire as well as a RallyCross tire.

My car needs some better tires and I was looking at the G-Max AS-05s a while back, but wasn't sure about quality of General brand products over other brands like Michelin, BFG or Continental. Can I ask what tires you had before, what you think of the AS-05s now in comparison, as well as what size you got them in?
Thanks!
I had 12 yr old Nexen (Lexani) N3000 205/40/17s. Squarer shoulder but louder and harsher ride at 37psi. Was 2nd set and they were OK. The Generals have been getting good reviews for cost and quality. Been researching all 205/40/17s for awhile now. Bought same size - 205/40/17s. The shoulders aren't as square but they have rim protection, ride much quieter and more comfy at 37psi & have 500 treadwear & AAA ratings. At the rate I put miles on this car, they will probably be replaced because of time, not wear. Another reason I did not go with more expensive bigger name brand set.

22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V......................the voices of the bumper and lip that I can't get out of my head ⚠

22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V 22V......................the voices of the bumper and lip that I can't get out of my head ⚠

I've seen your photos and that nice bumper and lip you on your car. They'll look even better when they've got some 22v on them!

I think i'm going to need some new 22v on my bumper as well, alas. Someone tapped my front end this week and sent cracks through paint. What a shame. I have no license plate to take the oomph. The bumper already had 150K miles of damage including some small peeling spots, but it never looked this bad.

Does anybody know what the cheapest and most cost effective way to repaint the bumper would be? I'm 90% sure it's not cracked.

Benji

Yeah, getting tired of that NASCAR chase yellow splitter action........it's really moving up the project priority list since I have had time to knock out a whole boatload of things in these strange daze we find ourselves in.....................mine isn't done partly because I've found no cheap way of doing it that will hold up. I don't wanna see yellow freckles from frwy. I am actually considering extra clear coats and having clear bra put on front facing areas of it as well as a front strip across the hood.

Next project is making 06 audio controls on steering wheel work in my 04 xB which requires dissecting a tC in a junkyard since 06 xB is few and far between and only year of gen1 xB that had them. My dash harness doesn't have connections for them. Recently did the wheel swap and have newer 06 stereo that has connection for it. Gonna score the controls off wheel, clockspring and dash harness connection to it from column to back of stereo...only way to do it and stay oem.

The toaster, my other sport wagon.........

20200424_180243.jpg

20200505_112358.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, getting tired of that NASCAR chase yellow splitter action........it's really moving up the project priority list since I have had time to knock out a whole boatload of things in these strange daze we find ourselves in.....................mine isn't done partly because I've found no cheap way of doing it that will hold up. I don't wanna see yellow freckles from frwy. I am actually considering extra clear coats and having clear bra put on front facing areas of it as well as a front strip across the hood.

That's a shame. Are you talking about painting over the yellow paint on the lip? I always assumed the 'recommended' way to repaint something like that was to first use a chemical to strip the old paint (and primer?) off first, then re-primer and paint again with clear coat on top. Not sure though, as I've never gone through the process.

Not sure but maybe ABS thing. On metal, yeah. I asked and was told they sand it down and go back over it. Will opt for more opinions though before having it done.

Not sure but maybe ABS thing. On metal, yeah. I asked and was told they sand it down and go back over it. Will opt for more opinions though before having it done.

Interesting. I do recall someone mentioning a paint stripping chemical for use on a metal hood, but didn't consider that it might work differently on a plastic bumper. If I repaint, I will also likely need to remove my paint, though I would be painting it the exact same color so maybe it's not necessary for me? Who knows. I'll be interested to know what works best for you in the end since i'll likely end up having to do something similar.

Next project is making 06 audio controls on steering wheel work in my 04 xB which requires dissecting a tC in a junkyard since 06 xB is few and far between and only year of gen1 xB that had them. My dash harness doesn't have connections for them. Recently did the wheel swap and have newer 06 stereo that has connection for it. Gonna score the controls off wheel, clockspring and dash harness connection to it from column to back of stereo...only way to do it and stay oem.

The toaster, my other sport wagon.........

View attachment 224531
View attachment 224532

I know absolutely nothing about the xB but dang, it looks nice, especially on the interior with that wheel. Like others, I'm not the biggest fan of the exterior styling, but I can see the appeal for some. And a freaking manual too! Now that I look at it's specs, is it true that it actually only weights like 2500lbs with a 1.5L? Smaller and lighter than I would have expected.

Yeah, it's a quirky cool practical weirdo thing but Toyota at heart. 5spd, ton of leg and headroom, 33 mpg, the low mileage and cheap price were irresistable. I dig driving it, makes me laugh, and it goes great with stick. My other cars are all Toyota. The only one including the P5 that doesn't have a Japanese VIN is the 08 Tacoma.
20200410_113737.jpg

My car needs some better tires and I was looking at the G-Max AS-05s a while back, but wasn't sure about quality of General brand products over other brands like Michelin, BFG or Continental. Can I ask what tires you had before, what you think of the AS-05s now in comparison, as well as what size you got them in?
Thanks!
I posted a pic of the General G-Max AS-05's on previous page.............

I used to drive my friends xb around a lot. Surprisingly torquey for that tiny engine in there. Tons of space too! You should turbo it lol

RE: painting plastics bumpers and stuff:

Prep is king! even more so than painting metal, a quick scuff and spray probably won't last too long. The surface has to be squeaky clean and free from dirt and oils otherwise the paint will separate when the bumper flexes

If it's bare plastic, then there is special plastic primers which help bond the paint to the plastic and let everything flex together. Brand new parts will often have release agents in them that need cleaning off first.

If you're repainting a bumper you can get away with a good sanding and a coat of sealer/ primer, before the colour coat goes on. Watch out for existing clear coat as sometimes it'll react and do weird things (like it did on my bumper)

RE: painting plastics bumpers and stuff:

Prep is king! even more so than painting metal, a quick scuff and spray probably won't last too long. The surface has to be squeaky clean and free from dirt and oils otherwise the paint will separate when the bumper flexes

If it's bare plastic, then there is special plastic primers which help bond the paint to the plastic and let everything flex together. Brand new parts will often have release agents in them that need cleaning off first.

If you're repainting a bumper you can get away with a good sanding and a coat of sealer/ primer, before the colour coat goes on. Watch out for existing clear coat as sometimes it'll react and do weird things (like it did on my bumper)

Good info, thanks.

Hmm. Not sure though if I have the skill and equipment to do the job (skill being almost none, and equipment about the same). I guess I'll have to look around and see what my other options are for getting it painted somewhere. Not really something I wanted to bother with but it bugs me to leave it be.

Well, today I installed a set of newly painted 17” Mazda 3 wheels on my P5 with a new set ot tires, ordering a 2Din JVC touch radio that should arrive next week!

Attachments

• 3247BF6F-06E2-4279-B293-54EC0F93CC3D.jpeg
    3247BF6F-06E2-4279-B293-54EC0F93CC3D.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 03EBBAC7-A9E4-4763-BA81-176355A761FD.jpeg
    03EBBAC7-A9E4-4763-BA81-176355A761FD.jpeg
    208 KB · Views: 183
  • F01F1491-2625-4018-9E3A-FEABD3D38C23.jpeg
    F01F1491-2625-4018-9E3A-FEABD3D38C23.jpeg
    285.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 3B8525C7-DB6A-4D7E-955F-D171AC9DCA2B.jpeg
    3B8525C7-DB6A-4D7E-955F-D171AC9DCA2B.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 206
Wow this forum has been SO much fun to read and learn! My name is Evan I'm 30 and also single dad and I bought my P5 (as the online world calls it..so cool!!) a few months ago as I've been wanting one for so long (like ever since my parents bought a 2007 Mazda 3 fully loaded the year it came out). I wanted a sweet "dad" mobile and when I found this on kijiji for $800 Can. I couldn't say no especially under 200km or about 115 miles for you just south of me. So I kinda did things ass backwards and a huge first rookie mistake by putting on a sweet 4-1 downpipe, UNWRAPPED and no heat shield...yeah I know right...I quickly fixed that so it wasnt gonna melt my air intake that floats right above it!! I'm wondering what I should do with the rest of the exhaust, as this used manifold that I wrenched off another P5 at the junkyard for cheap got rid of 2/3 cats for ALOT better exhaust flow but will a simple muffler swap be ideal for this situation or should I do more work??

Anything and everything is appreciated in advance!!

Oh and I'm new to this forum so be nice to me please guys hahaha
Cheers 🇨🇦🍻

Here are just a few pics I have saved in my phone ( I don't wanna go outside cuz its raining today here in Calgary Alberta )

Attachments

• 20200321_122151.jpg
    20200321_122151.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20200223_214628_094.jpg
    IMG_20200223_214628_094.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 171
  • 20191111_120956.jpg
    20191111_120956.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_20191108_215456_752.jpg
    IMG_20191108_215456_752.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 182
My two favorite mods..
#1 has to be Short Shifter, it makes a difference in how fun it is to drive. I think it's pretty cheap as well. I think I put mine in 14 years ago (it was my first mod).
#2 is a bit harder to choose, but I think I would have to say HID headlights. If they are legal for you, the nighttime visibility improvement is incredible. The HID's I put in around 2005 were able to survive the Alaskan winters much better than the halogens... I was replacing those halogen low beams about every six months. I didn't lose a ballast/bulb on the HID's until 2017 or so.

From your pictures it looks like you have a bit of haze forming on your headlights, a 3M resto kit should clean that right up.

Lowering springs were in the running for #2, but there's some compromises to the ride that isn't for everyone. That's what put HID's over the top.

Back