Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

:
2017 Crystal Mica Blue GT CX9
Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

20200412_135803.jpg

Oof. That's the first time I've seen that. So far I've had no issues with my 2018's screen, and for the 8 months of owning the car I lived in Calgary, which regularly had fairly significant temp swings due to the chinooks.

Either way, I would go to the dealer to see if they can assist, and if they say no, raise the issue with Mazda Corporate. They may be able to goodwill the repair in full, or at least offer to cover part of the repair. You won't know unless you try. Also, since you said you were just out of the warranty period, I would try to get into contact with them ASAP. Might be a little harder with the current situation mucking things up, but its worth the effort IMO.

Oof. That's the first time I've seen that. So far I've had no issues with my 2018's screen, and for the 8 months of owning the car I lived in Calgary, which regularly had fairly significant temp swings due to the chinooks.

Either way, I would go to the dealer to see if they can assist, and if they say no, raise the issue with Mazda Corporate. They may be able to goodwill the repair in full, or at least offer to cover part of the repair. You won't know unless you try. Also, since you said you were just out of the warranty period, I would try to get into contact with them ASAP. Might be a little harder with the pandemic mucking things up, but its worth the effort IMO.

Yeah, that was the next course of action, I talked to my local dealer with whom I have serviced for the entire duration of ownership and they offered to look at it. I will report back what I find out.

Also attaching the TSB for anyone interested...

Attachments

• TSB_MAZDA CONNECT CENTER DISPLAY CRACKING aka SPIDER CRACKING.pdf
    158.9 KB · Views: 4,947
This happened with my screen as well Thankfully my third party extended warranty covered this repair! I have to admit, I thought I was suckered into buying the extended warranty, but turns out it was a great decision!

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 1,247
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 1,427
This happened with my screen as well Thankfully my third party extended warranty covered this repair! I have to admit, I thought I was suckered into buying the extended warranty, but turns out it was a great decision!

Yikes, that looks terrible, glad they fixed it for you. I got lucky on mine, but it's also because I've been servicing with them for such a long time. How many miles have you had with the replacement screen?

Yikes, that looks terrible, glad they fixed it for you. I got lucky on mine, but it's also because I've been servicing with them for such a long time. How many miles have you had with the replacement screen?
Ya, mine started off in one corner and was small, then it grew and the other corner started to have it. My car has ~80,000 miles on it.

Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

View attachment 224108
I have 2 in each corner of my screen....unfortunately I purchased it like that and didn’t notice it at the time as it was kinda dark when I went to see and buy my vehicle. I wonder if they just replace the screen. It’s an eye sore.

I believe they do replace the screen. Take it to your dealer to see if they can do anything about it, and reference the TSB mentioned earlier in this thread. If they refuse to fix it, escalate to Mazda Corporate. The worst thing they can say is no.

I don’t get how the screen can do that without it being hit or anything. This is a common problem from what I see and should be taken care of by the dealer. They told me the entire thing would need to replaced not just the screen and that’s like $7000.

I don’t get how the screen can do that without it being hit or anything. This is a common problem from what I see and should be taken care of by the dealer. They told me the entire thing would need to replaced not just the screen and that’s like $7000.
I think the issues lays in the adhesive they use. The cracks are internal and you can not feel them from outside. There was definitely no external trauma to the screen. Not sure if the $7000 is in US dollars, but I just had it replaced by the dealership and they invoice shows the screen costs ~1800 and the labor and taxes cost ~400. So total was ~$2200.

What the hell...the dealer over here tried robbing me.

Unfortunately that's pretty common practice at many dealers. Not always, but it does happen. Probably happening more often with the situation now keeping potential customers away. Best you can do is do your due diligence in pricing out the parts, doing research online, and getting second and third opinions from independent shops and online forums like this one.

Unfortunately that's pretty common practice at many dealers. Not always, but it does happen. Probably happening more often with the pandemic keeping potential customers away. Best you can do is do your due diligence in pricing out the parts, doing research online, and getting second and third opinions from independent shops and online forums like this one.

Mazda, unfortunately seems to be hit or miss on dealer experience, and currently the batting average not good, and has driven a lot of people away. I hope their dealership re-brand goes beyond making pretty buildings. These infotainment systems have been out for a while and should be cheaper, but my dealer mentioned $1800 for the cost of the unit alone. Perhaps that's what Mazda charges them?

View attachment 224108
Never seen anything like this. What do you use to clean it? Any chemicals?

Never seen anything like this. What do you use to clean it? Any chemicals?

No chemicals, I usually only dust the screen and/ wipe with a damp cloth.

It's a known issue, lots of cases on CX-5s and 3s. Screen seems to be delaminating from the inside and externally it's smooth ie. no damage to the surface. In my case, it happened after temperatures fluctuated from warm to cold to warm. I suspect we don't see a lot of CX-9s yet because of their lower volumes or mileage than the smaller models. The TSB I uploaded was updated in 2018, so I my hunch / hope is they issued a PCA by then. Dealer also confirmed that p/n was different

Last edited:
Back