Posting Images to the forum

Noticed any threads with lots of photos are taking forever to load.

Is this a site issue?

Thanks for the heads up...Can you link me to an example?
Try this..
or

I noticed it in this thread.

I didn't think much of it because it's a thread consisting entirely of pics, and I am on rural internet (Verizon wireless.) Folks with unlimited high-speed don't have a need to change the size of their pics and aren't sensitive to this, so instead of 20 x 50kb (1MB) resized pics downloading each time you open the thread, you have 20 x 3MB (60MB) full sized ones. Websites (not necessarily forums) resize the pics on their pages so as to speed up their pages and to drastically reduce storage needs.

I thought the speed issue was just my particular circumstances. Perhaps there is something going on at the forum end right now that compounds the issue. Maybe there's a couple of recently uploaded pics that are of REALLY excessive size. If I had better internet, I'd take a look myself.

Last edited:
@JazzySP20 @Avoidin Deer We're currently looking into this...So far, it appears the issue is highly dependent on the speed of your internet connection.

A temporary solution might be to reduce the attachment size limit and dimensions. That said, we increased the attachment size limit because Members requested it, that way you shouldn't need to resize when uploading from your phone for example...

Ideally we need a way to reduce the size / resolution of images in posts while still allowing full resolution / size when clicked on and I may have found something...I'll be sure to post updates here...

If anyone has a possible solution, please let us know!

Thanks for looking into this. I only resize my photos so as to facilitate uploading them with my marginal connection.

Next summer my rural electric co-op is gonna run fiber along the power lines to the home of everyone who gets electricity (even a guy like me 1/2 mile off of the paved road), so my problem is gonna go away.

I can hardly wait...

Is there any way to rotate images we upload? A few of the pictures I tried go upside down when viewing full size.

Is there any way to rotate images we upload? A few of the pictures I tried go upside down when viewing full size.
Yeah it's a known issue we're still working on...Thanks for the heads up though, good news is I may have found a solution. In the meantime, you could try taking pics in a different orientation if that helps.

@JazzySP20 @Avoidin Deer Update...We've installed an Image Optimizer add-on that is currently running (it will take a while to get through all the images on the site)...It should reduce the size of images without impacting quality (too much). This should reduce image and page loading times.

@JazzySP20 @Avoidin Deer Update...We've installed an Image Optimizer add-on that is currently running (it will take a while to get through all the images on the site)...It should reduce the size of images without impacting quality (too much). This should reduce image and page loading times.
Cool.

I can't imagine anyone noticing a quality issue, since monitor resolution is the constricting factor. This should reduce forum storage requirements as well.

Thanks!

Cool.

I can't imagine anyone noticing a quality issue, since monitor resolution is the constricting factor. This should reduce forum storage requirements as well.

Thanks!
Excellent point about monitor resolutions and yes it should reduce the storage load as well...Have you noticed any difference yet?

Still goes upside down for me when I try to attach to a post. Picture is saved right side up on my pc.
Thanks for the update...Can you link me to the exact post with the pic in question. We tested the fix and it seemed to work.

Excellent point about monitor resolutions and yes it should reduce the storage load as well...Have you noticed any difference yet?
I just went to the Random Picture Thread and the pics actually all load for me!!!

Much, much better!!!

Thanks for the update...Can you link me to the exact post with the pic in question. We tested the fix and it seemed to work.
Last pic at bottom of post #37.. If you click on it to enlarge the orientation changes. This happened with other pictures that I didn't bother posting.

Last pic at bottom of post #37.. If you click on it to enlarge the orientation changes. This happened with other pictures that I didn't bother posting.
If you're talking about the one with the red valve cover & vacuum gauge, it works fine for me.
-Thumbnail is fine.
-Displaying as the selected pic is fine
-Full Screen is fine

Here's a screenshot:

screenshot.jpg

Thanks...Previously posted pics may still be affected though so future pics should orient correctly. That said, I've noticed when not logged-in, that image orients correctly but when viewing as a Member (with my account), it does not (when enlarged)...Investigating.

@JazzySP20 Can you confirm if you notice a difference?
Yes, pages loading a little bit faster now. The images are still very (very) good quality. Too good even.
I think you've got room to improve the load speeds much more with the image Optimizer.

See THIS post for example. That first image is 4032 X 3024 and 2.36MB. Waay too big for a forum that displays images at 800 X 600.

Would be great if there was a way for members to upload images at whatever size the image was captured at, but when that image is uploaded to the forum, the forum automatically reduces the image size to an acceptable size.. say 1024 x 768 and well under 1MB.

Last edited:
Back