Votes: 22 29.7%
  • Yes, more than one actually...

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • No but I'm in the market for one...

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • No

Votes: 35 47.3%

• Total voters
Wife has a 2016 CX-5 and we also have a 1990 Miata. Looks like I win for the oldest Miata. :)

Quite funny to see this thead: I've owned a 08 NC Miata for 9 years and loved every minute driving it. Now with baby #1 on the way, I'm in the market to purchase a CX5 (keeping the MX5 too if I can!).

Well I'm now the proud owner of a new Soul Red 2019 MX-5 RF Club with BBS/Brembo package. I was in the market for a few months, and finally pulled the trigger last Friday. I couldn't pass up the deal that this not-so-local dealer was offering.

I don't know how to drive stick...so I better learn quick before I go to pick it up this weekend! o_O Or I'll go and pick it up at 4am when there is no one else on the road and stalling at an intersection will be less stressful, haha.

Congrats! My 18 year old brother and I (at 16.5) were taught to drive a manual Subaru by the owner of the dealership, way back in 1975 or so. Our moment of revelation was when we noticed that the slower the vehicle speed at clutch engagement, the slower the clutch needed to be disengaged, particularly when in 1st gear.
Before I taught my 16 year old son (also many years ago), he announced that he would learn quickly, since he had driven a race simulator at the arcades...…...Uh, no, it's not quite that easy! :)

Congrats! My 18 year old brother and I (at 16.5) were taught to drive a manual Subaru by the owner of the dealership, way back in 1975 or so. Our moment of revelation was when we noticed that the slower the vehicle speed at clutch engagement, the slower the clutch needed to be disengaged, particularly when in 1st gear.
Before I taught my 16 year old son (also many years ago), he announced that he would learn quickly, since he had driven a race simulator at the arcades...…...Uh, no, it's not quite that easy! :)

I recently test drove a manual 2020 Mustang GT. You don't need to use the gas at all with it to get going. The RPM's increase as you let off the clutch. It's pretty much dummy proof. For those of us that enjoy driving a manual shift, it was a complete turn off.

I recently test drove a manual 2020 Mustang GT. You don't need to use the gas at all with it to get going. The RPM's increase as you let off the clutch. It's pretty much dummy proof. For those of us that enjoy driving a manual shift, it was a complete turn off.
That stinks.

For goodness sake, leave the manual tranny alone for folks who know how to use one (or who want to learn), and let everyone else get an automatic.

Seriously. What's the point?

Well I'm now the proud owner of a new Soul Red 2019 MX-5 RF Club with BBS/Brembo package. I was in the market for a few months, and finally pulled the trigger last Friday. I couldn't pass up the deal that this not-so-local dealer was offering.

I don't know how to drive stick...so I better learn quick before I go to pick it up this weekend! o_O Or I'll go and pick it up at 4am when there is no one else on the road and stalling at an intersection will be less stressful, haha.
Congrats on the purchase.

Get yourself a neck brace as you go through that learning curve. ;)

Sweet! Got pics? 😁📸

No glamour shots yet as I have yet to pick up the car, but here's just a quick pic that the salesman took of me and the car after signing the papers.

sujISRDl.jpg

No glamour shots yet as I have yet to pick up the car, but here's just a quick pic that the salesman took of me and the car after signing the papers.

Nice! The red looks great, even with the overcast conditions.

I think the red paint looks different under different light so even at night looks good.

Manual s aren't that hard to drive but I'm sure it helps if you understand the mechanicals. And experience riding a bike with the dreaded manual gears would be educational.

Manual s are still the standard in Europe. Hope the 'cvt' epidemic doesn't go there.

When I was in the Philippines 4 years ago, it seemed like everyone drove manual trans vehicles. Even minivans had manual transmissions. The next year I went to China and noticed just the opposite - almost everyone had automatics. The reason may be that older vehicles are allowed on the roads in PI but not China. And newer vehicles with auto transmissions get better fuel mileage than manual transmission vehicles. CVTs contribute to that although thankfully, Mazda does not use CVTs.

sujISRDl.jpg
Awesome! Thanks for posting a pic, your sales associate sure knows how to take a great pic...The MX-5 looks fantastic, would love to have one for myself someday.

sujISRDl.jpg

Congrats on the new ride!!! Before you drive her off the lot, or try to at least (sorry lol), take a look at this thread.

Check your car to make sure that the underbody plugs have been installed. The dealer is supposed to do this but you know how that goes...

You'll find the location of the plugs in the above thread.

I didn't know about these till I read it on the above forum. After checking mine I found out that the dealer never bothered to install them on my car. I bought it used so it's been without the plugs for almost 12k miles. I'll have to order them now.

Mazda part # FD01-56-051

i-2QmMPdd-L.jpg

Here's my take on things. I'm a member of several different general Mazda forums as well as Miata specific ones. What has been said about Miata.net is true. There are some gems of information there, but there is also a lot of misinformation propagated (a lot seems to be from more recent members). I post there infrequently, mainly when I see a question I can answer. I do have to rein myself in sometimes from making a smart-ass response when someone posts something to my comment as though I haven't a clue.

As for the Miata subforum on here, I think if more people start posting it will gain some traction. Right now there are only three or four of us who post with any regularity in the "What did you do..." thread. If folks get used to going there it will become easier and more natural to post up questions and the like.

Here's my take on things. I'm a member of several different general Mazda forums as well as Miata specific ones. What has been said about Miata.net is true. There are some gems of information there, but there is also a lot of misinformation propagated (a lot seems to be from more recent members). I post there infrequently, mainly when I see a question I can answer. I do have to rein myself in sometimes from making a smart-ass response when someone posts something to my comment as though I haven't a clue.

As for the Miata subforum on here, I think if more people start posting it will gain some traction. Right now there are only three or four of us who post with any regularity in the "What did you do..." thread. If folks get used to going there it will become easier and more natural to post up questions and the like.

Maybe I should just buy a Miata already.. lol. Honestly, if my wife and I didn't work for the same company and carpool every day, I'd probably have a Miata with a hardtop for my commuter car.

Something like this beauty:
Capture.JPG

Thanks @chiefmg I appreciate the feedback, we know from this poll that a decent number of CX-5 Owners / Members here have a Miata so that's good news...The challenge is to convince those people to share their Miata topics / questions etc in our own section. Seems natural to me but it's as if there is this invisible barrier preventing our Miata section from gaining "traction".

We need to break through it somehow...Having more Miata conversation would further enhance the experience here for everyone...No doubt.

Open to ideas!

Maybe I should just buy a Miata already.. lol. Honestly, if my wife and I didn't work for the same company and carpool every day, I'd probably have a Miata with a hardtop for my commuter car.

Something like this beauty:
View attachment 223662
@sm1ke I hear ya lol...Nice find! Got more pics of the Miata with that hardtop? Perhaps we can start a new topic in our own Miata Forum regarding what flavor of Miata catches our eye..:love:

While I understand the thinking behind the header titles for each section on this site, I think if you put Miata in the header for that section it might just grab people's attention more.

Back