How many miles does your P5 have?

Im just wondering how many miles can I expect out of my 2003 P5... Im currently at 150k miles but there is a boat load of rust. Not sure if I should sell it when I can afford another car or if its going to be a money pit. what is a reasonable ceiling for miles I can expect to get? I heard that the pistons oil holes get plugged and Im worried because the previous owner def didnt do me any favors with oil changes

I had a little over 270k miles on mine when I sold it, still running strong as ever. Didn't burn or leak any oil, I changed the oil every ~5k with walmart supertech full synthetic.

I'm only at 243,000 km (151,000 miles) but it has no leaks and doesn't burn my oil.
(too bad the shell will rot out on me before my engine dies.. I'd rather have her die from a heart attack than skin cancer. Lol)

My 03 P5 just turned 150K miles. No rust whatsoever even though it's spent it's entire life on the West coast. Burns a good amount of oil, but I've come to the realization that i'm going to have to live with that and it doesn't necessarily mean the engine is going to blow. With good care, it should be fine.

Six months of ownership and 7000 miles and the only things it's needed is oil and an ignition coil.

I still tend to carry the assumption that my parent's old Honda Civic which I used to drive is just going to be more reliable, but that's because it went like 50,000 miles without needing a darn thing. Not as fun though.

I'm only at 243,000 km (151,000 miles) but it has no leaks and doesn't burn my oil.
(too bad the shell will rot out on me before my engine dies.. I'd rather have her die from a heart attack than skin cancer. Lol)

my cancers are neck and neck, who knows what will go first!

252k and mine lovessssss oil

and coolant

still runs really well though!

I did have a slight issue with coolant once. Kept disappearing, no leaks no idea where it went. I just assumed it was evaporating out of the reservoir because it was busted open lol. Then I looked and saw the inside portion of the radiator cap (that attaches to the spring and seals the hole) was flat out GONE. No idea where it went, but the spring must have rusted away. Which allowed coolant to pass through the overflow hose into the reservoir, overfilling the reservoir, which empties out the overflow drain and would drip to the fender and ground while I was driving, so once parked no puddles or anything. It would cool off and suck the coolant back into the radiator as it contracts and cools.

replaced the radiator cap and never went low again. Might be worth checking out. It will do the same thing if the cap/spring is old and weak. $5 fix for a new cap at NAPA and all better :)

270K miles, eats a bit of oil... but still run well, changing the tranny fluid the and eng oil will keep any car going.

LX 323K miles
Yellow P5 199k miles
Blue P5 - 197k miles

All burn oil. LX is pretty close to self changing over 4000 miles.
I switched to 5w40 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer. Seems to help a little.

LX 323K miles
Yellow P5 199k miles
Blue P5 - 197k miles

All burn oil. LX is pretty close to self changing over 4000 miles.
I switched to 5w40 in the winter and 10w40 in the summer. Seems to help a little.
Interesting. My Protege5 with 150k miles burns a decent amount of oil. I might look into changing the oil I use if it might help the issue.

Man, anyone have a 2.0L Protege that hasn't been rebuilt that DOESN'T drink oil?? Glad to know I'm not the only one though and it doesn't mean my engine is about to go.

I don't burn a drop if oil, !!

I never check my oil.

It's at the full mark at every oil change.

240k. Got a JDM engine at 165k due to oil burning.

It's been the most reliable car I've ever owned, but the rockers are pretty much gone from rust.

Usually these cars meet their demise from rust or drinking oil, not from general unreliability.

" 240k. Got a JDM engine at 165k due to oil burning. "

Are you doing anything to prevent oil burning with your replacement engine ??

" 240k. Got a JDM engine at 165k due to oil burning. "

Are you doing anything to prevent oil burning with your replacement engine ??

Just changing the oil on time.

It's actually getting sold this weekend, just picked up a Speed3 replacement project.

Back