Squealing brakes on 2019 GTR

:
2019 CX-5 Reserve
Anyone have this problem? The brakes on my 2019 GTR squeal loudly when brakes are applied for the first three or four stops every time. After that, they seem to warm up and the noise stops. After stopping for an hour or so, they cool down and then it starts again the next time I start driving. Car has only 7K miles on it. Don’t know how long it’s been doing it because I found that I can’t hear it with the windows up, but now that it’s gotten cooler and I open the windows, I can hear it. Took it to the dealer, and he says there’s nothing wrong, and came up a litany of excuses (brake dust, moistur, etc.) and saying that it’s normal. Not helped by some other idiot customer in the service department who said his does too and it’s normal. I pointed out to them that it’s not normal in my experience, and that in all the various cars that I’ve owned in the last 40 years, including my pervious 2016 CX-5 GTR, this wasn’t a routine thing, plus that when everyone else in my neighborhood gets up in the morning and drives off to work after the car sits overnight, I‘m the only one with squealing brakes. Don’t think it’s the ebrake sticking as I don’t really notice any extra drag when driving or coasting, and only makes noise when applying brake, not when driving. Also, remaing pad thickness is more that adequat.

Any ideas? My dealer doesn’t seem interested in doing anything because he thinks it’s normal. Two other dealers are quite a ways away, and I really do not want to go to one of them for various reasons. The squealing brakes are honestly annoying enough to make me consider getting rid of the car and getting something else, even though it’s only 6 months old.

Well you should check the pad wear - but hopefully the dealer did that.

But yes, it is pretty normal on any car and is caused by high frequency vibrations between the pad/caliper/rotor when braking (usually lighter braking causes it more than heavier braking).

So having said it's normal, you can do things to reduce or remove it. Applying anti-squeal compound or pads between the pads and calipers is a tried and tested method - like the TSB that EchoAlpha519 just posted. You may also want to just change the pads if they've been on the car a while (even if not fully worn).

Still, annoying as it may be, it's nothing to worry about (unless it's because your pads are worn down!)

Car has 7K miles on it, 6 months old. Dealer checked pads and they are are not worn, and I’m sure it’s not a wear problem. Problem is obviously related to brakes being cold, or cooling down after driving as it disappears after the brakes warm up after a few applications. When I drive slowly and brake lightly, like pulling out of the driveway and turning onto the street, it’s less noisy than when braking normally from 15-20 mph or so, so it’s less likely to happen when braking lightly, not more likely.

I’m having a hard time believing this is normal, since no other car in my neighborhood, from new to years old, does it, and my 2016 CX-5 didn’t do it. If all new CX-5s do it, then it is what it is, but it’s embarrassing and disappointing. Thanks.

When I drive slowly and brake lightly, like pulling out of the driveway and turning onto the street, it’s less noisy than when braking normally from 15-20 mph or so, so it’s less likely to happen when braking lightly, not more likely.
Ah, then we have the opposite problem. I've never had that issue under firm braking.
Do you park outside? Could it be condensation causing a light layer of corrosion on the brakes?

You might want to print out the TSB and take it to your dealer.

I'm not certain how to show it to him without appearing to be snarky about it.

Maybe he was earnest when he said "It's designed to do that."

My car is in for first of two complimentary Oil/tire rotation.I mentioned the occasional cold rear wheel squeel,he acknowledged the TSB and will check.They will also update firmware and update maps.Hopefully off to a good start with my dealer.Off topic but my loaner is a 19 AWD 3 hatch,nice car, great seats,noticeably less power than than the turbo.Noticed the side views dipped when reversing.And camera resolution much better than our CX-5 s.

Last edited:
The pads may be glazed from overly light braking. Try to do some agressive braking from 50 mph to 5 mph several time to see if that helps. Ed

This^

But only temp fixed issue for me. :(

If you've got a lot of light break commuting like I do the oem pads and rotors will eventually glaze again causing uneven wear and very telling squeling. Switching to slotted rotors and GG rated pads "stopped" all that nonsense for me. The slots ensure pad to rotor surface friction is consistent and even meaning no glazing, no squeling, no fading. This does put more stress on the pads hence the switch to a higher heat threshold pad.

Sounds like it could be a problem with the pads themselves given the description of the problem. Your dealer doesn't sound like they really want to resolve the problem. Not sure why as this should be covered under the warranty given the year/mileage of the car.

You may very well have to drive to the other dealership for a 2nd opinion or ask the dealership to speak to the regional rep to get head office involved with the situation. Another option is to seek out the Service Manager or the Dealer President/Principal. If it comes down to it bring them on a test drive to point out the problem and ask to take any other car on the lot to show them it's not normal.

My car is in for first of two complimentary Oil/tire rotation.I mentioned the occasional cold rear wheel squeel,he acknowledged the TSB and will check.They will also update firmware and update maps.Hopefully off to a good start with my dealer.Off topic but my loaner is a 19 AWD 3 hatch,nice car, great seats,noticeably less power than than the turbo.Noticed the side views dipped when reversing.And camera resolution much better than our CX-5 s.
My dealer is ordering parts to perform TSB #04-004/19 squeaky rear brakes.The front pads measured 10 (mm?) rears 8.I always thought front brakes wear faster,perhaps they will be replacing pads and or rotors.I will report back..

My dealer is ordering parts to perform TSB #04-004/19 squeaky rear brakes.The front pads measured 10 (mm?) rears 8.I always thought front brakes wear faster,perhaps they will be replacing pads and or rotors.I will report back..
CX-5 applies the rear brakes first to prevent nosedive and improve vehicle dynamics. Ratio of the front to rear application is determined by the current weight/occupancy of the vehicle.

CX-5 applies the rear brakes first to prevent nosedive and improve vehicle dynamics. Ratio of the front to rear application is determined by the current weight/occupancy of the vehicle.

Huh, really? I did not know that. That might explain why my 2014 rear brake pads wore to nothing while the fronts were OK.

Huh, really? I did not know that. That might explain why my 2014 rear brake pads wore to nothing while the fronts were OK.
https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/safety/active_safety/bk_ebd/

technology_active-safety_bk-ebd_en_1st-row_img.ts.1602150246006430.jpg

Interesting.

So that might be one reason why the braking distance specs aren't as good as the CR-V and RAV4.

edit to add: According to this article, Electronic Brake Force Distribution is on all modern cars that have ABS. So it's not just a Mazda thing.

Last edited:
The rear squeaky brake TSB #04-004/19 was performed yesterday. No new hardware,just the application of 2 sided tape.I had to wait for them to get the parts in...imagine that!

Back