2019 CX-5 Diesel

Just because we don't virtue signal politically circlejerking, and share the fanatical alarmism that has become prevalent, doesn't mean the US doesn't do anything like you are making it out to be. Reasonable people here all agree that we should be good stewards of the environment and curb pollution. Unreasonable people on the alarmist side say screw your jobs, livelihood, and economy. Crash the whole damn thing. Reasonable people say you need to transition smoothly and slowly with technologies that actually work while working people transition their skills into newer technologies or be left behind, at that point, it's their own choice.

EPA chart Uno posted show this to not be true. Thoughts?
I’m not ignoring you, I’ve been busy but I will give you my thoughts on this over weekend.

I saw a diesel model when I had scheduled maintenance last week, the listed sticker was $43K after some window tint and paint protection. For that money might as well get a CX-9 GT.

I’m not ignoring you, I’ve been busy but I will give you my thoughts on this over weekend.

Looking forward to it.

Saw this article recently: https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-mazda-cx-5-diesel-is-too-little-too-late-1840133245

Admittedly, looks like the real world MPG is better than the EPA numbers. But overall have to agree with the verdict. When hybrids have starting MSRPs thousands less and much higher MPG numbers than the CX-5 diesel, what really is the point of it? Mazda really failed in timing, but also in trim/pricing in my opinion.

Article basically repeated what most have said on this site. The CX5 diesel is 10-years too late, pricey, slow, and doesn't offer anything better. One is better off getting the CX5 turbo gas, it's faster, less expensive, more reliable and less expensive to operate.

As I was driving past my Mazda dealer on my way to work this morning, they had a CX-5 Diesel parked on the lawn out front, with a big sticker on the side that says "2019 CX-5 Diesel - $8000 OFF!". Guess they're not selling well.

As I was driving past my Mazda dealer on my way to work this morning, they had a CX-5 Diesel parked on the lawn out front, with a big sticker on the side that says "2019 CX-5 Diesel - $8000 OFF!". Guess they're not selling well.

That's not good advertising for the brand.

That's not good advertising for the brand.

Yes, $10,000 OFF now at some dealers... What a deal!
Not good news for the new diesel engine Mazda was planning on using within a few years.

Attachments

• 20200116_202650.jpg
    20200116_202650.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 146
Not good news for the new diesel engine Mazda was planning on using within a few years.

What I find interesting is that Mazda and Toyota are now in bed with each other, with an eye to Mazda using Toyota's EV technology.

The diesel is such a boneheaded move at this time.

What I find interesting is that Mazda and Toyota are now in bed with each other, with an eye to Mazda using Toyota's EV technology.

The diesel is such a boneheaded move at this time.
The diesel strategy is definitely one of the questions I would ask Dave Coleman of Mazda NA

I searched on "diesel dave coleman" and found a MotorTrend article on the CX-5 diesel where he was quoted discussing EPA figures in general, but nothing about this vehicle in particular. It was just a one-line reference.

Here's a more in-depth 2013 article/interview with Dave about the SkyActiv diesel technology, but that [obviously] won't include this failure.

I'm having a hard time finding any current articles on this car and it's lackluster market performance. I can only find pre-release and early-release coverage. Kinda interesting.

If they had a red diesel for 10K off locally with no dealer options, I'd be tempted.

If they had a red diesel for 10K off locally with no dealer options, I'd be tempted.

As I've said before, when in-service quantities are so low, availability of parts and experienced mechanics are tough hurdles to overcome. This is a single year/low production run vehicle.

No, thanks.

Mazda has admitted their pricing strategy on the new 3 was off and hence sales tanked even though profit per car was better. The diesel could have been a feeler to see what customers will pay, where is a benchmark for a CX5 sized car in terms of max price which is nice for a brand to know.
Diesel was probably pushing 42 and even at 32-34 it now is a better deal than lot of cars it competes with. At these prices it will make loaded GTs obsolete as it makes no sense to buy that.

I couldn't buy a new 3 even if I wanted one as at 6 ft 2 the top of my head presses on the rooflining even with the seat all the way down with the seat in a proper driving position. If I had to recline anymore my arms would be stretched when using the steering wheel. Perhaps sales of 3's have tanked as only small people can fit in it?

Saying that pricing strategy was off even though they made more profit per car is a peculiar statement for Mazda to make. Higher Prices = More Profit (or Less Loss) is a universally true statement, perpetually constrained by Higher Prices = Fewer Sales (as Mazda rediscovered).

Regarding the diesels: don't you think that it's gonna take more than pricing for sales of the GT to have anything to fear of the diesel? And these are "Today Only" Discontinued Model Fire Sale prices.

The pricing of the diesel didn’t scare me, it’s whatbit offered that did. Said it was a mistake long before it arrived, and it’s true.

I’d gladly pay $45-50k for a CX-5, if you give me a “Mazdaspeed” version with 310+ hp/ 380 lb tq for starters.

Even at this huge discount, I can't see it as being a smart buy.
This thing has no future, and the second you drive it off the lot, it'll be worth half of what you paid.
The depreciation will be huge, so it's only worth consideration if you plan to keep it for ten years.

Even at this huge discount, I can't see it as being a smart buy.
This thing has no future, and the second you drive it off the lot, it'll be worth half of what you paid.
The depreciation will be huge, so it's only worth consideration if you plan to keep it for ten years.

So the local CT Mazda dealer that doesn't discount off MSRP because "there is little markup on Mazdas"....has a Diesel CX5 in the showroom with "7K off MSRP" on the windshield.

Everyone on the forum slammed Mazdas strategy with this engine when it was announced. And its come true, baffling how Mazda didnt see this coming....or they did and purpously jacked the pricing WAY up realizing its true market pricing would end up in the lower 30's.
Whomever bought the D at MSRP has taken an unbelievable hit on resale.

So the local CT Mazda dealer that doesn't discount off MSRP because "there is little markup on Mazdas"....has a Diesel CX5 in the showroom with "7K off MSRP" on the windshield.

Everyone on the forum slammed Mazdas strategy with this engine when it was announced. And its come true, baffling how Mazda didnt see this coming....or they did and purpously jacked the pricing WAY up realizing its true market pricing would end up in the lower 30's.
Whomever bought the D at MSRP has taken an unbelievable hit on resale.

Someone is losing money on these cars. I hope it's not the dealers.

Regarding "I pity the fool who purchased early," there's at least one guy here who did. I'd be speaking with Mazda Customer Service. I'd have to figure out what my strategy would be before picking up the phone. If I were a reseller I'd use the old "Not protecting the channel" ploy. End users have less leverage.

Back