BSM Off Flashing (2009 CX-9 GT)

Mine started flashing one day last week on the way to work. It came on again on the drive home. It did not come back on the next day and has not come back. Weird. First time that has happened in 10 years of ownership.

Hey, in case this helps. We had the same problem with blinking BSM light on the dash, 2008 CX9. Then we also noticed the "one touch" window system didn't work. Windows went up/down but you had to hold the button. It seems when the battery in the car dies the car forgets how the one touch windows work. So we reset them and now the BSM blinking light is off (went off with driver window reset). Go figure. Turn on car (no need to start it), open window all the way, then close it all the way and hold the button for an extra 2 seconds. That resets the one touch window system and in our case turned off the blinking BSM light.

That's crazy. BSM still works most of the time but when driving around town, after several minutes it starts flashing, but only when above about 75 outside. Does not happen in winter. When going on the interstate it will eventually revert back to normal due to airflow. Window is set to non-smoker preference, but I will have to try that reset. Funny because the first time it ever happened was when I put the window down one time on the interstate...

That's crazy. BSM still works most of the time but when driving around town, after several minutes it starts flashing, but only when above about 75 outside. Does not happen in winter. When going on the interstate it will eventually revert back to normal due to airflow. Window is set to non-smoker preference, but I will have to try that reset. Funny because the first time it ever happened was when I put the window down one time on the interstate...

All I can say is it’s been over 75 where I live for a few weeks now so maybe it’s related to that too. Quirk.

Mine started flashing one day last week on the way to work. It came on again on the drive home. It did not come back on the next day and has not come back. Weird. First time that has happened in 10 years of ownership.

...and the same thing just happened again, six months later. On for a couple of short trips one day last week and then back off. No idea why.

I owned a 2008 CX-9 until last week (bought a 2020 CX-9). For the last 4+ years, I had the "BSM Off" problem. It would come and go--probably related to the heat. A car wash always solved the problem, either by cooling down the sensor or cleaning it.

Hey, in case this helps. We had the same problem with blinking BSM light on the dash, 2008 CX9. Then we also noticed the "one touch" window system didn't work. Windows went up/down but you had to hold the button. It seems when the battery in the car dies the car forgets how the one touch windows work. So we reset them and now the BSM blinking light is off (went off with driver window reset). Go figure. Turn on car (no need to start it), open window all the way, then close it all the way and hold the button for an extra 2 seconds. That resets the one touch window system and in our case turned off the blinking BSM light.

Following up on my prior post - turns out this did not work after all. It (or something) reset the dash light so it stopped blinking, but then the next time we got over 40mph (or so) the blinking light began again. Back to "what the heck" for us.

I owned a 2008 CX-9 until last week (bought a 2020 CX-9). For the last 4+ years, I had the "BSM Off" problem. It would come and go--probably related to the heat. A car wash always solved the problem, either by cooling down the sensor or cleaning it.
Thanks for the tip. I had ours washed yesterday after reading your post. Still blinks. I let it cool down. Still blnks. Then when I got home I crawled under the car, hand washed the sensors and inside fender/bumper on both sides, checked the wires to make sure they are plugged in. Still blinks. I give up!

Thanks for the tip. I had ours washed yesterday after reading your post. Still blinks. I let it cool down. Still blnks. Then when I got home I crawled under the car, hand washed the sensors and inside fender/bumper on both sides, checked the wires to make sure they are plugged in. Still blinks. I give up!

What about cleaning the connectors/pins?

BSM delete. :)

BSM_007.JPG

BSM_013.JPG

I have same issue with 11 cx9 gt. BSM light was blinking on dashboard. I have run the diagnostic test for left and right BSM on computer. The left was working fine and computer gave me error code for right handside. it was showing short. I tried to reset a few time. it was working fine. I washed the vehicle and inside of the fenders too. I drove the vehicle without any issue. I parked my car for 2 days and checked the car. light was blinking on the mirror like something was touching and grounding. I removed the modules.

I havent touch them about 6 months and decided to open the inside. of course lots of corrosion. I was planning to clean them then test but board does not come out without removing the socket. the socket looks like hot pressed or glued inside. I wanted to share the picture with you if anybody is interested to repair own modules.

gently pry the plastic covers pins with flat head screw driver then open it. Also check the contact on the board.

UPDATE: You can remove the board with soldering machine. when you remove the all of screws on the board, 2x 4 pins (left hand side on picture #3) holds it. remove them clean the board and housing, solder it again and seal the entire module. I hope it works for someone.

Attachments

• bsm1.PNG
    bsm1.PNG
    86.7 KB · Views: 269
  • bsm2.PNG
    bsm2.PNG
    132.9 KB · Views: 260
  • bsm3.PNG
    bsm3.PNG
    153.5 KB · Views: 263
Interesting thread. We have had intermittent flashing BSM for a while 2009 CX-9 GT 145K miles. Will examine the rear bumper area now.

I’ve got the BSM blinky disease now. ‘11 GT. Funny thing, the switch on the dash for it doesn’t light like the others nearby and of course doesn’t affect the blinking when switched in either direction. Also noticed that hitting the switch beside it for the traction control doesn’t show me on the dash that I’ve done anything.

Permanent solution: Since I shared the post above, I bought 2 of used BSM module in Junkyard with the same part number. They came from 2013 cx9. Before install them, I tested with forscan and no error message. they works great.

I unplugged the modules and made a little modification. I squeezed silicone between plastic cover and housing like a seal. also between socket and housing too. I wrapped the socket with electric tape and made it solid.

there is no issue since I installed it and no more water damage.

Total cost: $65 x 2 module + small tube of silicone + electric tape
Labor: Free
Total time: less than 1hr.

I FIXED MINE! First, free download of Forscan. Carry the laptop and obd2 dongle out to the car. Connect them up and find out the right side BSM was faulty. Found one on flea bay for $65 shipped. Got it switched out without removing the bumper (small arms...think T-Rex).

Solved! My BSM switch still isn’t lit like the other switches on that panel, BUT the switch works to turn off BSM if I wanted to.

Welcome to the bsm off club. I have deducted it has something to do with proximity to mufflers. Since it seems only to happen to me when it is above about 65 or 70 outside. Never happens in winter. Annoying in the summer. The modules in the rear bumper are next to the mufflers on either side.

The BSM OFF light on the dash of our 2008 CX9 GT is flashing. Apparently it has been doing this for two weeks and was not tied to any event. Pushing the button has no effect. What should I do?

Dealer can scan and hopefully pinpoint the problem. Most likely it is a bad sensor in the bumper, and they are expensive. I unplugged mine as I don't need BSM.

I just wanted to give an update. The BSM on my 2009 cx9 has been acting funky for a while now. Sometimes it works, but most of the time it doesn't, and light is flashing on dash when it isn't working.

I went ahead and purchased some used BSM sensors off ebay for about $150 total. Just purchased both the left and right side to be safe. I got the newer version with the "B" at the end of the item number because I figured the newer the better. Bolted them in and now everything works good. No calibration needed or anything like that. Pretty straightforward.

You have to take out the back lights, splash guards, and rear bumper to get to them. Just a handful of screws and clips. There is a video on youtube with some guys taking off the bumper of a CX7 which is somewhat similar.

Back