Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

And your 980 is still holding up because you went top of the line. So get a 1080 when the 2080 is officially released. ;)

980 to 1080 is not really worth it in my book, so I'll keep what I have until the stoopidity in this GPU market ends whether that's when AMD gets their crap together (not holding my breath), or perhaps Intel's new dedicated GPU provides some competition (maybe? Probably wishful thinking, but one would love to see it) in the next couple years.

I am more just making a commentary that before the nonsense with Ti's and Titans started in the 700-series, and midrange chips as flagships that started in the 600-series, the x80 was always the top dog single card of any given generation and it was in the $500-$600 price points. $1200 as the new price point for the top card is just flat out unacceptable. I get it, Ngreedia will capitalize on a lack of competition and being able to charge anything they want to, but $500 x70 or x60 cards is in nobody's interest. Yet, there's the sold out pre-orders...

And the price creep-up cycle will continue. Calling it now, the 3800 Ti will be $1500.

I'm just bitching because this was a fun hobby to do a new build or rebuild every couple of years, but at these prices it's absurd.

Last edited:
980 to 1080 is not really worth it in my book, so I'll keep what I have until the stoopidity in this GPU market ends whether that's when AMD gets their crap together (not holding my breath), or perhaps Intel's new dedicated GPU provides some competition (maybe? Probably wishful thinking, but one would love to see it) in the next couple years.

I am more just making a commentary that before the nonsense with Ti's and Titans started in the 700-series, and midrange chips as flagships that started in the 600-series, the x80 was always the top dog single card of any given generation and it was in the $500-$600 price points. $1200 as the new price point for the top card is just flat out unacceptable. I get it, Ngreedia will capitalize on a lack of competition and being able to charge anything they want to, but $500 x70 or x60 cards is in nobody's interest. Yet, there's the sold out pre-orders...

And the price creep-up cycle will continue. Calling it now, the 3800 Ti will be $1500.

I'm just bitching because this was a fun hobby to do a new build or rebuild every couple of years, but at these prices it's absurd.

Thank your lucky stars you don't live in the UK, we pay the same amount in 's that you do in $ as the has plummeted since the Brexit vote. My 1080 card cost 850 in June 2016. I have no plans to change as long as I can play Warthunder ok. I totally agree that this fun hobby now commands ridiculous prices.

Well it's always cost money to have the top top of the line. That 980 wasn't cheap CD. In the past for me I never bought the current gen GFX. It was always last gen. This current build is the first time I bought the current gen and still didn't get the best available. (1070 v 1080).

Agree. Not optimistic about AMD being competitive in the GPU front anytime soon... However, GPU pricing is actually slowly shifting back to normal; aka before the mining craze. SSD pricing is also improving; you can get a 1TB 860EVO for less than $200 now. That's not bad. My only gripe now is RAM pricing, which is still absurd! 16G of DDR4 is still going for around $150...

I personally don't mind the Ti branding. Can't really fault Nvidia when there's a clear segment of consumers that will upgrade with every new iteration. However, I do find the announcement timing of the new 2080Ti a bit odd; too early. To me, this is a sign of somewhat admitting that the new and improved RTX2080 might not be up to snuff.... Also a HUGE skeptic when they said 2070 will outperform TitanXP. I want to see benchmarks. I don't play a whole lot of games anyway, my current 1070 will last me a good while. Might considering upgrading when more developers start utilizing ray tracing down the road.

Well it's always cost money to have the top top of the line. That 980 wasn't cheap CD. In the past for me I never bought the current gen GFX. It was always last gen. This current build is the first time I bought the current gen and still didn't get the best available. (1070 v 1080).
No it wasn't cheap, but that's really not a fair argument 7. Yes the 980 cost a lot...$550 in fact, but that's not $1200 and $500s have typically always been the range for the top card in the past. Now they withhold the actual top cards (Titans and Tis), still charge top dog prices for the x80 part, and then the real top cards are much much more to the point that they are now $1200!

I saw the new cards, honestly, I'm not going to upgrade at present. I have yet to encounter a game my current setup isn't slaying.

I can get a good deal on a Dell XPS 15 via employee discount and other discounts. What's this I keep hearing about Dell's Quality Control?

Should I go Lenovo t series or perhaps x1 carbon?

Should I go a MacBook Pro refurb model (2014/2015)?

Please post where you've been "hearing about DELL quality control. I'm running two Dells for 4 to 7 years and no problems. I ordered 6 Dells for our Church School and kid pound on them for 3-4 hours a day for 6 months and no Dell problems. Ed

Please post where you've been "hearing about DELL quality control. I have two Dells for 4 to 7 years and no problems. I ordered 6 Dells for out Church School and kids pounding on them for 3-4 hours a day for 6 months and no Dell problems. Ed

Reddit....granted hmm perhaps its a case were a lot of people do not have issues with Dell but when they do......

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/7a5dju/has_the_xps_really_that_bad_quality_control/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/6ceybx/xps_15_quality_control/

What Dell models do you have experience with?

I love Dell.
At my job I am running 40 Dells and they are AWESOME. Never break.
A friend and I bought gaming laptops together 7-8 years ago. I bought an ASUS ROG and he bought an XPS. He's upgraded from the XPS now but it is still running great to this day.

The only brand I avoid is Acer.
If you're looking to game I wouldn't get an Apple.

Yeah no gaming.

Ok got me feeling a little bit better with the Dell XPS.

May also look into open-box laptops from Best Buy. A lot of times people don't upgrade there BIOS and complain and return a good laptop.

I can get a good deal on a Dell XPS 15 via employee discount and other discounts. What's this I keep hearing about Dell's Quality Control?

Should I go Lenovo t series or perhaps x1 carbon?

Should I go a MacBook Pro refurb model (2014/2015)?

Having serviced many hundreds, possibly thousands of Lenovo Thinkpads back in the day, I don't agree with the praise they get. I wouldn't buy one personally.

Dell has been a mixed bag for folks that have bought them in my family. The Inspirons are total crap. The professional side Dell Latitudes seem to be of better quality, but I've also had mixed results. My Mom's current Latitude has been nothing but problems, however I have used many different Latitudes at various jobs, and they've always been fine. Don't know anything about the XPS line.

I am not an Apple person, can't speak for Macbooks.

Having serviced many hundreds, possibly thousands of Lenovo Thinkpads back in the day, I don't agree with the praise they get. I wouldn't buy one personally.

Dell has been a mixed bag for folks that have bought them in my family. The Inspirons are total crap. The professional side Dell Latitudes seem to be of better quality, but I've also had mixed results. My Mom's current Latitude has been nothing but problems, however I have used many different Latitudes at various jobs, and they've always been fine. Don't know anything about the XPS line.

I am not an Apple person, can't speak for Macbooks.

Cool thanks for the input. I guess having good customer support is important these days.

I use my computer for work (music composition and video editing), as well as gaming, so it's pretty good. I built it myself to keep costs down. What's more, it booted first time, which i'm pretty pleased with. Normally I build a computer, power it for the first time and it either doesn't start or it POSTs wrong.

Intel i7 6700K overclocked CPU with Corsair watercooling.
Gigabyte 1080 GTX Ti graphics cards x2
Corsair Dominator 64Gb RAM
Gigabyte Motherboard (can't remember the model)
Acer 24" 4k monitors x3
1Tb M.2 SSD root drive
12Tb HDD storage drives with offline 4Tb backup of important stuff (and I know I should upgrade to RAID 5 or something).

I rarely use my iPhone for accessing anything more than superficial stuff on the internet. I don't play mobile games or anything like that, so my phone is mainly for work/private emails, texts and phone calls. I hardly even use social media on my phone.

I use my computer for work (music composition and video editing), as well as gaming, so it's pretty good. I built it myself to keep costs down. What's more, it booted first time, which i'm pretty pleased with. Normally I build a computer, power it for the first time and it either doesn't start or it POSTs wrong.

Intel i7 6700K overclocked CPU with Corsair watercooling.
Gigabyte 1080 GTX Ti graphics cards x2
Corsair Dominator 64Gb RAM
Gigabyte Motherboard (can't remember the model)
Acer 24" 4k monitors x3
1Tb M.2 SSD root drive
12Tb HDD storage drives with offline 4Tb backup of important stuff (and I know I should upgrade to RAID 5 or something).

I rarely use my iPhone for accessing anything more than superficial stuff on the internet. I don't play mobile games or anything like that, so my phone is mainly for work/private emails, texts and phone calls. I hardly even use social media on my phone.

I know you don't play mobile games, but the processing power in a phone boggles my mind! PUBG is absolutely epic.

Quick update. I snagged a 1080Ti for $450, and flipped my GTX1080 for $250. Not shabby! Here is the before and after benchmark:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20287009

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/20290284

I'm a little weary of used 10-series GeForce products. Literally the entire used market for a long while were being bought up to be heavily used for crypto mining before it went bust in January of 2018 so I wouldn't be surprised if they have a short lifespan due to being pegged at 100% loads for however long they were run.

Latest posts

Back