Got a good deal on 2017 CX-5 Touring, but is it better to get a 2018?

sanelb

So, I got a nice deal for a 2017 CPO (7 year, 100k mile warranty) Mazda CX-5, Touring. Original asking price was 21,900, got it reduce to 21,000. This doesn't include taxes and other fee's.
Mileage of the car is 24K, and according to CarGurus and KBB I'm getting a great deal.

My question is, is it better to look for a 2018 touring due to the cylinder de-activation technology and the fact that it in the 2018 touring, the vehicle comes with the "i-active sense tech" standard. Are they worth it?

I got a brand new one with the activsense package and a tow hitch for 25803+tax. There's nothing in the Touring trim that I felt I needed, features are similar until you get to the higher trims. The used prices are way too close for me to consider buying this vehicle used.

That would make me want to avoid used 18s, specifically what happened to Glock32. I don't know how long the engine has run with potentially flawed software, and I'm not about to take one apart to check.

Current production models have the presumed software fix applied.

It's a tough choice. i-Activsense if worth its weight in gold. CD is an unknown risk... or not. A 17 should be less expensive, everything else being equal. Your best bet might be a 17 with i-Activsense if you can find one that fits your budget.

It's possible that Mazda is perpetuating a VW-style fraud by releasing a fake fix, but it's more likely that they're not lying to their customers and NHTSA regulators and it was in fact a software issue.

It's possible that Mazda is perpetuating a VW-style fraud by releasing a fake fix, but it's more likely that they're not lying to their customers and NHTSA regulators and it was in fact a software issue.

I don't think it's fake at all. But knowing what I do about the way the system is constructed, I'm not confident that it will be totally effective. It may prevent most of the problems, but not all. Or it may be all that's needed. Time will tell.

Agreed. I went with a lease for the flexibility of having several years of reliability and high-mileage data before deciding to purchase. Between these forums and reviewing the service history online of high mileage examples, you should be able to get a pretty good idea of the reliability.

So, I got a nice deal for a 2017 CPO (7 year, 100k mile warranty) Mazda CX-5, Touring. Original asking price was 21,900, got it reduce to 21,000. This doesn't include taxes and other fee's.
Mileage of the car is 24K, and according to CarGurus and KBB I'm getting a great deal.

My question is, is it better to look for a 2018 touring due to the cylinder de-activation technology and the fact that it in the 2018 touring, the vehicle comes with the "i-active sense tech" standard. Are they worth it?

Wife got her 2018 Touring last year with 8k miles, CPO for 24500.
The CD worries are way overblown and with a 7 year 100k mile powertrain warranty we have 0 worries about the engine.

The used prices are way too close for me to consider buying this vehicle used.

That's pretty much a universal statement.

As I've said before, I was shopping for a low mileage used SUV (Toyota/Honda/Mazda), but when I saw the prices and the monthly payments driven by higher used car interest rates versus dealer financing deals, I went new.

Back