20,000 miles in a CX5 GT-R...

Apparently CX-5 GT-R and Sig with 2.5T turbo do have 2-piston floating caliper at front, and GT, Touring, and Sport with 2.5L have single piston floating caliper at front. Further, this bigger 2-piston front caliper makes the factory spare coming with the car unmountable!

View attachment 221527
attachment.php

View attachment 221528
attachment.php

That's race car brake hardware; gonna have to look up the p/n for that bracket. Maybe it's the same p/n and one can do an OEM swap. I guess the catalog on that page was not correct.

I have only had my Turbo for a month but agree with pretty much all the comments here. I did already replace the tires for Firestone Weather Grips as those are 4 season with 100,000 km warranty. The turbo is so nice with power on tap whenever you want it. The ride is comfortable without being so soft you can't drive in a spirited fashion if you so choose (kind of hard not to actually (cabpatch) )

Spare shouldn't go on the front anyway, as stated in the manual. If a front tire is damaged, you're supposed to rotate a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the back until you can get to a shop to have the tire repaired or replaced.
I can tell you'd never changed the flat on the highway. It's very dangerous and scary especially when a 18-wheeler passing by! In reality if I had a flat at front on the highway, I'd put the spare at front first, then drive the car slowly to a safe place and swap the regular to the front. Most likely I'd drive my car with the spare at front straight to a tire shop for flat repair.

IMO that the spare can't mount to the front on CX-5 GT-R and Sig is an irresponsible cost cutting act by Mazda. Doing tire change on road side of the highway TWICE simply is too dangerous!

I can tell you'd never changed the flat on the highway. It's very dangerous and scary especially when a 18-wheeler passing by! In reality if I had a flat at front on the highway, I'd put the spare at front first, then drive the car slowly to a safe place and swap the regular to the front. Most likely I'd drive my car with the spare at front straight to a tire shop for flat repair.

IMO that the spare can't mount to the front on CX-5 GT-R and Sig is an irresponsible cost cutting act by Mazda. Doing tire change on road side of the highway TWICE simply is too dangerous!

Where did you find that diagram btw?

That's a much more sensible way to deal with the problem than to follow the advice in the manual. Take it slow, don't go far with it.

I can tell that you love to make assumptions. I've changed a few flat tires in different scenarios, including on the side of the highway. I know how dangerous it is. I also know that the amount of time it would take for me to swap a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the rear is maybe only a few minutes longer than taking the front tire off and putting the spare on. If you can sit and clench your cheeks while you use the scissor jack to raise the car, you'll survive swapping the rear tire to the front. I'm surprised you aren't condemning all the manufacturers that include scissor jacks as emergency jacks.

We've discussed this before, let's just agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I can tell that you love to make assumptions. I've changed a few flat tires in different scenarios, including on the side of the highway. I know how dangerous it is. I also know that the amount of time it would take for me to swap a rear tire to the front and put the spare on the rear is maybe only a few minutes longer than taking the front tire off and putting the spare on. If you can sit and clench your cheeks while you use the scissor jack to raise the car, you'll survive swapping the rear tire to the front. I'm surprised you aren't condemning all the manufacturers that include scissor jacks as emergency jacks.

Those few minutes could be the difference between life and death.

Those few minutes could be the difference between life and death.

You could say the same about the time it takes to jack up the car with the scissor jack. If you really believed that, you'd be carrying a hydraulic jack in your trunk instead of the scissor jack. If you're that concerned, you'd be better off calling AAA or Mazda Roadside Assistance and staying inside the car.

You could say the same about the time it takes to jack up the car with the scissor jack. If you really believed that, you'd be carrying a hydraulic jack in your trunk instead of the scissor jack. If you're that concerned, you'd be better off calling AAA or Mazda Roadside Assistance and staying inside the car.

Obviously you've never driven 1-95 between Baltimore/Washington and Philadelphia during rush hour.

How much danger can there be when traffic's only going 10 MPH? ;)

Ironically that's when all the noobs are getting into fender benders..meanwhile everyone is driving like 80-90-100mph in the passing lane during light traffic with no issue

2018 Mazda CX-5 Workshop Manual someone posted before.

okay thanks.. after digging, turns out these are the same brakes used since the 2016 cx-9.. and supposedly a direct bolt on. Probably will do an upgrade later.

The sports car fanatic in me lives on. I'm the "carry a can of fix-a-flat with sensor-safe good" type. It only has to make it to t he next exit, etc. I do NOT want to be on the side of the highway.

2 piston, 320mm floating disc (one piece though). In comparison corksport BBK is 325 MM and some wonkey rotor width. What mods are you gonna do? Corksport pretty much has as full coldside upgrade https://corksport.com/cx5/2017-cx-5/power/

I already listed all the mods I am doing/have done. I have always felt that if you want a faster vehicle you should just buy one. I used to mod the everloving s*** out of my cars (as in, stripped down to the unibody, and built from there, chassis bracing, new transmission, new engine, etc etc etc.) Done with that. If you want a faster car...they make 'em, is my motto nowadays.

Hope to have some special promotions or deals with the CX5 soon.

Honestly, and truthfully, if I had a 2017 AWD GT and had all I wanted for features, I'd just pay it off and chill, brother. I'm squarely in my income bracket for vehicle, and I'd rather just have the money than the note. My real reason for upgrade was that I was out of warranty, and the 2015 had $1800 in repairs due, and there was no guarantee it wouldn't break when I drove it out of the shop, and I never really liked it anyways, and I still had a few years left to pay it off, so...I figured the extra $200/mo note (I bought the 2015 used, 2019 new) wouldn't bother me as much as worrying about something truly $$$ breaking on a car I wasn't a huge fan of. but if you have a 2017 under warranty, etc. etc. etc. I'd just keep it. #LifeAdvice

But as an enthusiast...also check out the Stelvio, see what kind of warranty you can get, and if a dealer is nearby. I have no nearby Alfa dealers. I don't trust FCA products. But the Stelvio IS more fun. If not a Stelvio, then yes, the GT-R/Signature will be a lot more "car" and if you don't care about the car note, etc. a whole lot, I'd wait until the end of the year. The 2020's aren't getting any real upgrades as far as I know, so buy you a 2019 NOS and be happy at a discount!

Back