2017~2024 Oil drain plug stripped from dealer

adumbrille

:
2007 Mazda 3 Grand Touring
My mom has a 2017 cx5 2.5 AWD. Its always had dealer oil changes for its entire life. This time she wanted me to change it for her. I go under the car and remove the little access panel and the 8mm hex plug is stripped so bad I cant remove it. I know how to get it off but it would possibly damage it and its Sunday and I dont have another one ready to replace it. Anyone know what to say to make the dealership fix this? Do you think theyll try to fight it?

I dont think theyll fight a little part like that. If theyre any good, tell them exactly what you noticed. Honey catches more flies than vinegar. If they wont replace it with another drain plug for free (sounds like oil change history has been entirely with the dealer), order a new one and replace it on your own. And then dont go back to that service center.

^ Yep, exactly. I mean, it's just a drain plug. If they fight you over that, find a new dealer and just replace it yourself. But approach them calmly, just explain what you found after service there and hopefully they should take care of you.

I'd still find somewhere else though, or just keep doing it yourself. What the hell are they doing to strip a drain plug??? Shouldn't be stripping anything with a breaker bar, ratchet, or torque wrench. (scratch)

Let the dealer change it out. The oil pan may be damaged as well. What kind if idiot will over tighten an allen plug? The problem with many dealers is, they only have one or maybe two regular paid mechanics. Lesser jobs like oil changes, tire rotations and other jobs are often handled by anyone available which can be an uninterested floor sweeper. You still pay the dealer for certified service of course. A real shame because that is where dealers get a bad name but, not all dealers are like that. Ed

I had a dealer do that to my 3. They replaced the oil pan, but your problem sounds more like cross threading or over tightening.

You can swap out the 8mm hex plug for a traditional socket head drain plug https://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-pan-plug-washer.html that maybe her dealer won't be able to screw up so easily.
Do not get this hex-head drain bolt P/N HE0310404-995641400 if you really want one:
genuine-mazda-oil-pan-plug-with-washer-15.jpg

It doesnt have flange which should have for a drain plug. Instead, get this hex-head drain bolt found on 2018 CX-5 2.5L and beyond with P/N LFE5-10-404:

⋯ the new oil plug for 2.5NA part no. if anybody is interested.
I got a spare just in case.

20190212-190731-2.jpg

20190212-190723-2.jpg

+1. The flanged bolt is the best if you insist on changing out the Allan head which I like. Ed

Same happened on my previous car. Not just that but they also had put the wrong oil type and I had that on the receipt. Unbeliavable.

At the end the dealer changed the plug for free plus free oil , free filter when I started complaining to management.
At first the service guy started to sweet talk me that I dont know what I am talking yada yada blah blah......in such case just escalate to higher management.

Same happened on my previous car. Not just that but they also had put the wrong oil type and I had that on the receipt. Unbeliavable.

At the end the dealer changed the plug for free plus free oil , free filter when I started complaining to management.
At first the service guy started to sweet talk me that I dont know what I am talking yada yada blah blah......in such case just escalate to higher management.

Yikes. I feel much happier now just doing my own changes.

I'm trying to vizualize this. OP, when you say "stripped", what do you mean? To me, stripped implies stripped threads, and then the plug would be loose [and probably leaking]. But yours is tight. Do you mean the shoulders of the hex are rounded?

Assuming the hex hole on the oil plug is no longer a hex but oval now.

Yeah, they probably put a hardened steel hex bit into an impact wrench and pulled the trigger before seating the bit into the plug and applying normal pressure.

I had 1 oil change fro the dealer and needed a breaker bar to crack my plug loose. There is no way they torqued it to the 20 some lb-ft spec. The aluminum crush washer was smashed so much it was a larger diameter than the flange on the plug. At least that made it easier to remove, because I could clamp with vice grips and unthread it.

Yeah, they probably put a hardened steel hex bit into an impact wrench and pulled the trigger before seating the bit into the plug and applying normal pressure.
That's probably right. I couldn't even imagine that. Impact wrench on the oil plug? The thought makes my blood run cold.

The quality of the threads cut into the pan and/or the plug on my 2018 are crap from the factory. Which factories or where both parts are sourced from may be the actual problem. I gave my CX5 its first oil change and had to use a wrench to ratchet the plug nearly all the way out, same to reinstall. Not cool. None of my Suzukis were/are like this. I can break the bolts free and then spin them in and out easily with my fingers. Won't surprise me if I have issues in the future with this plug. On a positive note, it is FAR easier changing the Mazda's oil filter.

The quality of the threads cut into the pan and/or the plug on my 2018 are crap from the factory. Which factories or where both parts are sourced from may be the actual problem. I gave my CX5 its first oil change and had to use a wrench to ratchet the plug nearly all the way out, same to reinstall. Not cool. None of my Suzukis were/are like this. I can break the bolts free and then spin them in and out easily with my fingers. Won't surprise me if I have issues in the future with this plug. On a positive note, it is FAR easier changing the Mazda's oil filter.
Odd. My gen 1 drain plug and threads are just fine.

This is why I use Fumoto valves...not so much the dealer messing up but to protect from my clumsy self.

Yep I've stripped threads on my oil pan in the past. I'm much more handy now but been traumatized. (confused) Nightmares of leaky oil pans haunt me.

I would take it back to the dealer and insist they replace the oil pan and the drain plug. Throw a tantrum if you have to. That is simply not acceptable. I work at a Ford dealership and I can't tell you how many times I have seen lazy techs use an impact on a drain plug. The majority of techs would never do that but there is always one in the bunch and you never know if that one is gonna end up working on your car.

I'm pretty sure the OP is saying that the Allen Key hole is "stripped" not the threads in the oil pan. That would be a much bigger problem. I think he needs a new plug and an apology from the Mazda dealer and an explanation for what they've corrected to ensure they won't do that to anybody's car again. A free oil change while they are at it, would be a nice gesture.

Barring that, he needs to get a new plug and plan not to got back to that dealer and let Mazda and whomever else is interested know how much the experience was appreciated - name names.

Back