CX-5 Parking brake malfunction

:
2016 CX-5 GT | FWD | Soul Red | Tech Package
For the past few weeks 3 out of 5 times when I start the CX-5, I see the following:

1. Red flashing "BRAKE" light near the dials
2. Orange steady "P" light near the dials
3. Flashing "P" light on the electronic parking brake
4. Two warnings in the infotainment reading "Parking brake malfunction. A malfunction has occurred in the parking brake system. Consult your Mazda dealer for inspection".

Whenever this happens, the brake is not engaged and I can drive like normal. Took it to the dealership yesterday but accidentally turned off the car before I stepped out. When I turned it on, the warnings did not appear. It reappeared last evening and this morning.

I read here this could be because of freezing temperatures. I live in South Texas and it was well over 70 F today and I still had the warnings.

It happens when engine is warm and cold. Any idea what could be causing this?

See links below :
https://youtu.be/-syaHF3j1O8
https://youtu.be/glQT8Gi4Nmc

Last edited:
in most cases, a brake warning light indicates low brake fluid, which is often a result of worn brake pads.

in most cases, a brake warning light indicates low brake fluid, which is often a result of worn brake pads.

Had my brake fluid replaced just yesterday at the Mazda dealership. Problem still persists.

Was hoping to show them the brake issue but I could not reproduce it at dealership.

Last edited:
Any idea what could be going on here? Don't want the stealership to take me for a ride with some BS. Hence asking around.

Took it to dealership today. They ran the tests and said the parking brake module has to replaced. $650 for parts and labor. Not what I was expecting to hear.

As it stands now, the parking brake doesn't work. I don't use it anyway. He said not replacing it might cause the parking brake to engage randomly while driving and hence a big risk. Is he bullshitting or is there any truth to it? If not repairing means not being able to use parking brake without any other additional risk, I don't want to shell out $650. Hence asking. Appreciate your inputs.

Took it to dealership today. They ran the tests and said the parking brake module has to replaced. $650 for parts and labor. Not what I was expecting to hear.

Hmmm the actual electronic module for the e-brake it seems. https://www.realmazdaparts.com/oem-...tNSZ5PTIwMTcmdD10b3VyaW5nJmU9Mi01bC1sNC1nYXM=

$650 seems really steep if its just the module/s. I would definitely try negotiating. Perhaps someone could step in to advise....it appears the module is not too hard to replace. Possibly plug and play even.

As it stands now, the parking brake doesn't work. I don't use it anyway. He said not replacing it might cause the parking brake to engage randomly while driving and hence a big risk. Is he bullshitting or is there any truth to it? If not repairing means not being able to use parking brake without any other additional risk, I don't want to shell out $650. Hence asking. Appreciate your inputs.
I actually believe your problem is related to rear brake / EPB dragging issue described in this TSB R052/16C. Thiss a very common problem for EPB-equipped 2016 CX-5 including mine. Both revised rear calipers are needed for replacement with new disc pads and rotors. The remedy of this EPB problem from Mazda started with revised EPB control module with software updates. Later Mazda found the culprit is not the software but the hardware - hence EPB control module replacement is not needed but revised rear disc calipers are needed. EPB control module basically is a firmware module which usually should last forever unless the software update is needed. Id invest money getting the TSB performed first, as the rear calipers are the root of the EPB issue unless your CX-5 has done this EPB TSB.

E Parking Brake

No, EPB control module is expensive. Your link is for EPB adjusting motor, not the control module.

OK. You think OP can make a case with Mazda USA for assistance in coverage due to TSB?

Already spoke to Mazda USA. They said they'll speak to dealership and get back to me later today. Let's see what they come back with.

Got the call back from Mazda. They are paying $500 and I am responsible for only $150 or so. The EPB module will be replaced.

Very happy with Mazda USA customer service. Earlier this year, they covered the entire cost of a LED headlight module replacement (for DRL flickering) outside of warranty after I called them.

Happy with service, but worried things are breaking one after other..

Last edited:
Got the call back from Mazda. They are paying $500 and I am responsible for only $150 or so. The EPB module will be replaced.

Very happy with Mazda USA customer service. Earlier this year, they covered the entire cost of a LED headlight module replacement (for DRL flickering) outside of warranty after I called them.

If I were you Id also mention the the TSB R052/16C and try to get revised rear calipers. The out-of-tolerance calipers on your 2016 CX-5 from factory will cause EPB dragging issue and may even lock up your rear brakes without knowing. Print the TSB out and talk to your dealer. Again, EPB control module is a software device and it itself rarely causes any EPB issues unless the programming has major flaws.

If I were you Id also mention the the TSB R052/16C and try to get revised rear calipers. The out-of-tolerance calipers on your 2016 CX-5 from factory will cause EPB dragging issue and may even lock up your rear brakes without knowing. Print the TSB out and talk to your dealer. Again, EPB control module is a software device and it itself rarely causes any EPB issues unless the programming has major flaws.

Thank you. I have printed it already and will be taking it to dealership tomorrow.

Please let me know if your parking brake malfunction issue was resolved and if so, I appreciate knowing what was replaced. My 2016 CX5 Touring has been doing the same thing. I press the ignition button, the physical parking brake light flashes, and I get both a red flashing brake light and a steady "P" light in the instrumentation cluster. This seems to happen when the vehicle has been sitting idle overnight, no matter if its freezing temperatures or 60 degrees outside. I had the front brake pads and routers replaced thinking that might solve the issue. Nope. Thanks!

Congrats on getting Mazda to cover most of the costs for your repair. Now that you have a working parking brake I would suggest that you use it. There's a reason for having a parking brake on these cars, on all cars actually.

Back