Burning CDs to MP3 to play on Infotainment

:
2017 CX5 AWD Touring
So I will take on the task of converting my audio CDs to MP3 so that I can listen to them on my CX5. The problem I encountered is that Windows Media Player does not recognize the CD album info and so the tracks become nameless. While my Acer Media player does recognize the CD album info and displays it but unfortunately it cannot do MP3 burns.

Any good CD to MP3 burner software that would recognize album info so that it can display it properly on the Mazda Infotainment?

I use Media Monkey exclusively. Once again the Dog and I agree. lol
I still use it. There's nothing better for managing music.
I actually have the paid version (you absolutely do not need it for your task though).
I also have the paid version on my phone.
I use these 2 things together to keep my collection in synch...over WiFi. It's ... awesome.
Change something on my phone, synch, it's saved to my PC. And Vice Versa.
It's got more of a learning curve but once you get it dialed in it's a breeze.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

I guess I am going to have to join the gang too here soon.

Having had collected CD's since their inception, I have quite a few to do.

I imagine the best thing to do would be to create .WAV 's of each CD, to have an exact digital duplicate, and from there I could create .WAV 's or .MP3 's and copy to USB stick?

Although this is not MY wall, it certainly feels like it when faced with the task of ripping 100's of CD's...
(hand)
image.php

Last edited:
To be 100% technically audibly correct and not be frowned upon by the elite audiophiles, yes you should rip to LOSSLESS first >wav files or Flac (.flc) files.
Then rip those to MP3.
Personally... no way was I doing that.
320bit MP3 files sound perfectly acceptable to my ears. I have just over 3,000 songs ripped and most of them are 320. Some are even less that I got from other people. There's no way I am ripping to lossless first, and then to something smaller. I am not an audiophile. I just like music.

Yea, it's a daunting task, but I actually envy you. I'd like to start over since I have so many tagging issues on my tracks. lol

I guess I am going to have to join the gang too here soon.

Having had collected CD's since their inception, I have quite a few to do.

I imagine the best thing to do would be to create .WAV 's of each CD, to have an exact digital duplicate, and from there I could create .WAV 's or .MP3 's and copy to USB stick?

Although this is not MY wall, it certainly feels like it when faced with the task of ripping 100's of CD's...
(hand)
image.php

MP3 are all about space saving and have drawbacks from a technical sound perspective. WAV files are huge in comparison, but are more like the original CD files. CD files are a slightly different format, so WAV files are not an exact digital duplicate, but size wise about the same. Each CD of music is about 700MB, where equivalent MP3 files would be about 1/10th of that.

usually people rip CDs right to output format (MP3) and then save the CD for backup. No reason to go WAV unless you are actually going to use it, and most of the higher bitrate MP3 or FLAC are better options then WAV for portability reasons. Our system doesn't support FLAC, but it is a format to be aware of.

I didn't "save my CD's for backup". I doubt 'most people' do.
I keep 2 digital copies for backup.
I kept CD's because... I just can't bring myself to just throw them in the trash and the local record exchange place... is out of business. lol

I save a physical backup of most things. To easy for digital backups to get corrupt, lost. etc. To expensive to backup all data to the cloud, and then i worry about who has access. So if care about it, i keep a physical copy. And one day, maybe FLAC will be the standard and I will want to rip my disks all over again :)

That being said, I haven't bought a CD in a long time, but like you, i have no reason to throw them out. There is "Half Price books" and "Second and Charles" near me and both buy CDs, DVDs, and Books. so if I wanted to sell i could.

I save a physical backup of most things. To easy for digital backups to get corrupt, lost. etc.

Agreed. Which is why I have 2. The odds of both things being unavailable ever are infinitesimal.

If my RAID'ed backup hard drive and phone both die at the same time...it was meant to be. [emoji16]

If you right click the file you can change the details i.e track/album name. sometimes it just convient to select all and at least chang them to the same album so you can have them sorted instead of a large folder with like 100 mp3 in it

I prefer every band has its own folder. Every album a sub folder inside. If you screw up your album art later, like I did, it stops it from getting worse. Long story but i wound up having 100s of tracks displaying the same art.
Would have saved me the trouble of fixing if I had everything sorted well.

So I will take on the task of converting my audio CDs to MP3 so that I can listen to them on my CX5. The problem I encountered is that Windows Media Player does not recognize the CD album info and so the tracks become nameless. While my Acer Media player does recognize the CD album info and displays it but unfortunately it cannot do MP3 burns.

Any good CD to MP3 burner software that would recognize album info so that it can display it properly on the Mazda Infotainment?

You should give WMP another try. If it doesn't tag the files, you can go back to your WMP library after the fact, right click on the [missing] album art, and choose "find album info". [You can also do that while the CD is ripping.] It will then give you a menu of possibilities to choose from, or you can enter the artist and title and see if that helps it find it. The more eclectic/rare albums are often not listed.

Media Monkey is great, but it also sometimes doesn't find album info. Its user interface may be a little more challenging for a novice user, as well.

You can also enter all of the info manually, but I don't recommend that if you have a life.

Yea, it's a daunting task, but I actually envy you. I'd like to start over since I have so many tagging issues on my tracks. lol
No need to start over. Try MP3 tag.

Agreed. Which is why I have 2. The odds of both things being unavailable ever are infinitesimal.

Famous last words. It's good you're saving your originals.

No need to start over. Try MP3 tag.

Famous last words. It's good you're saving your originals.
Again the odds are small. It's a risk I'm willing to take. I've been ripping mp3s since mp3s became...mp3s. much of what I carry around today was ripped 8-10 years ago. I've never needed my originals.
If my house burned down and my phone was inside the house when that happened is the only scenario I can think of.
Again everything is RAID'ed at home so technically I have 3 points of failure. 2 hard drives, and my phone.
I do not need these CDs.

You should give WMP another try. If it doesn't tag the files, you can go back to your WMP library after the fact, right click on the [missing] album art, and choose "find album info". [You can also do that while the CD is ripping.] It will then give you a menu of possibilities to choose from, or you can enter the artist and title and see if that helps it find it. The more eclectic/rare albums are often not listed.

Media Monkey is great, but it also sometimes doesn't find album info. Its user interface may be a little more challenging for a novice user, as well.

You can also enter all of the info manually, but I don't recommend that if you have a life.
Actually Shados right here. WMP should work and work fine. If it doesn't it's probably that CD. It should work fine and it is easy.
Media Monkey isnt hard but definitely a bit more friendly for an advanced user.

Again the odds are small. It's a risk I'm willing to take. I've been ripping mp3s since mp3s became...mp3s. much of what I carry around today was ripped 8-10 years ago. I've never needed my originals.
If my house burned down and my phone was inside the house when that happened is the only scenario I can think of.
Again everything is RAID'ed at home so technically I have 3 points of failure. 2 hard drives, and my phone.
I do not need these CDs.

Here's another: your RAID pukes and you lose your phone, it's stolen, you drop it in the toilet.
Don't think RAIDs can't fail.
Unlikely? Definitely! Impossible? Nope. Never say never.

It's always a good idea to keep your originals, unless you have a good reason not to.
It 's fine that it's a risk you're willing to take, but not everyone is. And very few people have good backups. I don't think it's good advice to give a less experienced user.

Ridiculously slim odds.
For the record, I'm not telling anyone what to do. If I was, I'd give better details. [emoji12]

Last edited:
Ridiculously slim odds.
For the record, I'm not telling anyone what to do. If I was, I'd give better details. [emoji12]

No need to be defensive, 7.

You can't tell anyone what to do, except maybe your kids or employees!

Many people [most?] don't have good [or ANY] backups. In that case, the original is the backup.

What you're doing is fine for you. My concern is for the non-IT people in the group, the ones who don't realize that s*** happens, even with computers.
Maybe especially with computers!

Back