2018 CX-5 Grand Touring Leather Seat Issue

:
2018 Mazda CX-5
I've only had my brand new 2018 CX-5 for a week, and now the driver's seat is already wrinkling and getting pumpy.

Anyone else having same issue soon after about a week?

Thank you.

Attachments

• seatissue.jpg
    seatissue.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2,127
Interesting. Maybe it wasn't stretched right or a seam loosened.

To be honest, I like the leatherette option on the Touring better than the all leather. The suede cloth sits tighter, doesn't slide and is warmer when you first sit. Plus it looks better with the 2 different materials. That's just me.

Take it to the dealer and see what they say. Do it fast since material warranties are limited, I believe 6 months.

If you don't mind me asking, are you heavy or regular build?

Last edited:
I've only had my brand new 2018 CX-5 for a week, and now the driver's seat is already wrinkling and getting pumpy.

Thank you.

Pretty common from my experience. My 2016 CX5 looked that way in a very short amount of time... but it never really got any worse.

My Infiniti has similar creases....

I'm just 150lbs.

Interesting. Maybe it wasn't stretched right or a seam loosened.

To be honest, I like the leatherette option on the Touring better than the all leather. The suede cloth sits tighter, doesn't slide and is warmer when you first sit. Plus it looks better with the 2 different materials. That's just me.

Take it to the dealer and see what they say. Do it fast since material warranties are limited, I believe 6 months.

If you don't mind me asking, are you heavy or regular build?

Thank you.

That lumpy area is not right so soon.

Get it looked at

I have the parchment leather and when I got my 2017 brand new my seat liked the same. It’s a little “saggy”, or “puffy” in the but seat area but it’s normal for this car. I imagine they designed this car seat this way for it to hold up to stretching better/fabric stress. Other leather seats after years split and crease even if they are cared for properly because they are stretched incredibly tight. IMO

That’s about what mine looks like. Apparently only the first and third lines of double stitching are tethered (for lack of a better word) underneath. I’ve had it since the end of last April.

Thank you.

We were lucky enough to have read about this same issue reported by ~2014 MY owners before we bought our car, so we had seat cushions from day one for protection of the leather. (Yes, not for our comfort!) No issues after these years. But once in a while I did observe the issue with the rear seats (which don't have cushion), typically after I leaned over to do some cleaning and had my wrist resting on the seat, bearing part of my body weight. Got very bad creases in the leather after just about a minute or two. After frantically "ironing" the seat with my palm, it's much better, but is never quite the same again.

I have the parchment leather and when I got my 2017 brand new my seat liked the same. It’s a little “saggy”, or “puffy” in the but seat area but it’s normal for this car. I imagine they designed this car seat this way for it to hold up to stretching better/fabric stress. Other leather seats after years split and crease even if they are cared for properly because they are stretched incredibly tight. IMO
As puffy as the photo (uhm)

Mine are terrible. I’ve raised it with the dealer but we checked several others at the dealers - some brand new and they were all similar. This is not to be confused with earlier than the 2017 model. We concluded there isn’t much can be done without all the seats being re covered and then new covers could be the same. I’ll post photos later which were taken when new. My guess is they will offer a fix before so long.

I have a 2018 GT also and looks exactly like that since the first day I have used it. I think it was made that way so the leather won't be stretch out too much when you sit on it, acts as an allowance. Up to this day, it still looks the same.

I am more worried about the seats is the noise when you raised it all the way up and back. You can hear some metal noise hitting whenever you hit a bump or shake the seat. So had to reset the seat and lower it to make the noise went away. Check the back seats and compare it. It looks the same.

In Germany, Mazda will come up with a "solution" for this problem in march.
Many complaints over there with regards to the same issue...... appears between 500 and 3000 km of driving the new car.

Hmmmm, here's my 2014 GT driver's leather seat after 58,000 miles and 4-1/2 years. I'm the only driver and I weigh 200 pounds.

FrontSeat.jpg

Didn’t we determine in a earlier discussion that the issue is with the cushion underneath the leather? It’s a environmentally friendly foam or something on that order.

Didn’t we determine in a earlier discussion that the issue is with the cushion underneath the leather? It’s a environmentally friendly foam or something on that order.

Ah yes. The "here have a crappier product, but don't worry, it's environmentally friendly!!!!1111!!!1" routine.

Hmmmm, here's my 2014 GT driver's leather seat after 58,000 miles and 4-1/2 years. I'm the only driver and I weigh 200 pounds.

I say again, it is NOT an issue with models other than the KF - 2017 0n. This is mine;

IMG_3877.jpg

I’ve applied virtually no pressure here;

IMG_3878.jpg

The rear seat don’t offend me but they aren’t as “trim” as I would expect;

IMG_3879.jpg

Last edited:
I say again, it is NOT an issue with models other than the KF - 2017 0n. This is mine;

IMG_3877.jpg

I’ve applied virtually no pressure here;

IMG_3878.jpg

The rear seat don’t offend me but they aren’t as “trim” as I would expect;

IMG_3879.jpg

That seems to be normal.

Had similar creases etc on my now departed 6

Back