2017 CX-5 GT wipers suck

Was this during snow (uhm)

Huge chunks of ice from the snow, yes. We had a mild sprinkling of snow this morning that had my fellow Torontonians panicking. I keep telling them where I grew up if you could see the mailbox on the other side of the street from the front window of the house, it was ok to go out. If you couldn't, you had less than 20 feet of visibility. This morning, it was a clear disk and I could seek for miles.

IskiE

Huge chunks of ice from the snow, yes. We had a mild sprinkling of snow this morning that had my fellow Torontonians panicking. I keep telling them where I grew up if you could see the mailbox on the other side of the street from the front window of the house, it was ok to go out. If you couldn't, you had less than 20 feet of visibility. This morning, it was a clear disk and I could seek for miles.

IskiE

Since Japan also gets snow, wonder if Japanese owners have the same issue and are complaining directly to HQ....

(hmm)

First full day using them here. I'd have to say from cold start I was bit afraid that there was a small streaking issue (on the top right of the passenger side wiper) and I feared it was the arm pressure might have been the culprit. But as the windshield started melting the snow and when applying wiper fluid on the highway I did not notice the streaking and ice form on the normal wiper path that I had with the OEMs. I'll continue to monitor how they perform and report back if I notice any cons.

Hi Shiggy, so always happy wit these new Bosch wiper ? Any advise. I'm looking to buy some to Autozone. I just want a be sure because I'm need to use a mail box in USA (autozone are the only saler I found and they don't ship to Canada). I will after ship them to Canada, so it's like 40$ CAD more.

Thanks

wipers are supposed to last a very long time if you clean the rubber part regularly with a wet micro-fibre cloth. if they are streaking, 99% of the time it's because they werent cleaned. sometimes they need to be cleaned to frequently that theres just no point, so in that case you may want to consider getting new wipers but don't throw away a perfectly good set without making them spotless first.

oh, and it's always good to check the spring part on the wiper arm just in case.

Hi Shiggy, so always happy wit these new Bosch wiper ? Any advise. I'm looking to buy some to Autozone. I just want a be sure because I'm need to use a mail box in USA (autozone are the only saler I found and they don't ship to Canada). I will after ship them to Canada, so it's like 40$ CAD more.

Thanks

I cleaned and clean the OEM wipers and they never gave me a clean swipe in freezing temps.
Bought the Bosch EN24OE and EN18OE and what a difference. I noticed that the Bosch display also had EN24 & EN18 which may not have the #6 adapter so be sure you get the “ENxxOE” packaging.

My wife said “tell Shiggy that I love these wipers, big difference!”

Edit: 2017 GT (easy)

Last edited:
I cleaned and clean the OEM wipers and they never gave me a clean swipe in freezing temps.
Bought the Bosch EN24OE and EN18OE and what a difference. I noticed that the Bosch display also had EN24 & EN18 which may not have the #6 adapter so be sure you get the “ENxxOE” packaging.

My wife said “tell Shiggy that I love these wipers, big difference!”

Edit: 2017 GT (easy)
Thanks Tiny

I bought them and they don't fit. Doesn't have the correct adapter.

I honestly can't find any wiper in Canada that fit the 2017/2018 CX-5. I checled all the usual local and online stores, they don't have any of the Bosch, Micheline or Rain-x wiper that are listed as compatible on their sites.

I went to my dealer, and the sold me these ones https://fdflex.com/en/. They are "ok" , but the beam is very thick compared to OEM.

I installed Surewipe spring. It put pressure on the wiper in order to give a better adhesion of the blade onto the windshield. Even if you have the best wiper blades, if theres not enough pressure on them they wont work properly (I am from Montral too)

http://surewipe.com

Ordered these on rockauto.com for my 2018 GT. They fit perfectly without any adapters and look just like the stock ones, but they work much better. At least for rain, not so sure about snow. Didn't cost much either so won't feel so bad trading them out more often.

TRICO 1817B (18-17B) Pass Side Wiper Blade
TRICO 2417B (24-17B) Driver Side Wiper Blade
TRICO 14A (14-A) Rear Wiper Blade

Here*s my report on the Bosch Envision wiper blades. I*ll precursor my report by saying I HATED the OEM blades. They were chattering/choppy and skipping on the return path, and so causing them to be annoyingly loud and not cleaning well. Winter in NorCal means rain, so after some light-moderate rain this week I decided to go with the Bosch Envision 24OE and 18OE (big shout out to Shiggy for posting his purchase experience!!!!), seemingly selling exclusively from AutoZone, for $29 EACH!! (yes I know bloody expensive). Used adaptor #6. IMMEDIATELY the difference was apparent. Clean wipe and silent.

But there*s more. So decided to head to Tahoe this weekend, and it so happened this weekend the mountain pass was afflicted with a snow storm. Not too cold as temperatures hung around 32 degrees, but heavy snow on the main mountain road, and icy rain fore and aft of the pass. Driving conditions were pretty bad on the mountain, with only 4wd vehicles with snow tires or cars with snow chains on the drive wheels being allowed (there were checkpoints and cars being turned back). FYI I did not have snow tires or chains, just the stock 19* Toyo A36 tires.

Anyway that*s just the backdrop to tell of the wiper and car performance. Thank God I changed those wipers before going into the snow storm, as they performed excellently. Clean wiping through everything. I was telling my wife in the car how fortunate we were not to have those horrible OEMs, as visibility was already VERY bad on the return journey, and having those skipping blades also would have been a death sentence (I*m exaggerating but you understand what I mean). In the heavy rain the we got on the Western path of the storm, the Bosch*s also did the job. Gave me peace of mind (proper visibility), and peace of ear (no damn chattering!!!!!). Though an expensive cost for peace.

And just a quick word about the CX-5*s performance in the snow. The road was generally plowed (it wasn*t always clean), but snowfall was heavy in the afternoon. We had no grip or tracking issues. The car went steadily and where I wanted it to go. Also I did NOT feel slippage of the front forcing the rear to kick in; this is due to the Mazda predictive AWD programming that sends more power to the rear pre-emptively when it detects certain conditions, in my case: cold, incline, wipers in use. Very reassuring. We didn*t go off the main roads into deep snow so can*t say how it would have behaved in that case. Don*t think I would have trusted these tires or this car in the deep stuff though.

Anyway, Bosch Envisions, seal of approval granted.

Nice report Distant. You are a brave man to go over Donner Summit in a snow storm. Suprised they let you thru w/o snow tires.

1-2 feet coming here thru Tuesday. My lone experience in 3" of snow this season was very positive. A new challenge awaits.

Nice report Distant. You are a brave man to go over Donner Summit in a snow storm. Suprised they let you thru w/o snow tires.

1-2 feet coming here thru Tuesday. My lone experience in 3" of snow this season was very positive. A new challenge awaits.

We were south of Donner- we took the Lincoln Fwy (Hwy 50) from the Easy Bay. I was surprised too, as the signs clearly said 4WD cars WITH snow tires. But given the HUGE amount of traffic (not sure why it was so busy yesterday), they maybe didn't have time to check tires.
As this was my first adventure into a snowstorm with the CX-5, it was pretty hairy going in seeing F150's and Tacomas with chains. But my worries were unwarranted (in retrospect). I'm guessing those guys were either 2WD or heading into the unplowed roads.
Good luck out there Nevada! Hopefully it will turn out to be nothing much. The so-called stormy weather they foretasted for the Bay area this weekend turned out to be light to moderate rain. Lol.

Thanks for this info. I just bought the Bosch Envisions for my 2017 Mazda CX-5. The directions I found said to use the #2 adaptor. After struggling with that for awhile with no success, I did a search and found your post. Switched to the #6 adaptor and had instant success. That being said, I hate this new Mazda wiper system. I had bought RainX wipers from Amazon which didn*t fit and had to be returned and it took a trip to Pep Boys and then Autozone before I found the Bosch that said they would fit. The price was definitely a shock $60 for both, but there is a $15 Autozone gift card mail in rebate, which is something, I guess. Anyway....thanks for making the installation process easier.

Why no Bosch Envisions in Canada?
Why is Rockauto out of stock on their Trico passenger side blades?

Arrrrrgh!

I see from the BOSCH website that they have 2 models dedicated to colder winter temps(-20)..... the Snow Driver Blade and the Winter Blade. It would seem that the Snow Driver Blade would be the ideal pick for more northerly climates where snow buildup on the windscreen can often turn to ice buildup on the wiper blade. Has anyone come across either of these BOSCH models?

Last edited:
Are the Bosch inserts really that much better than the OEM? I'm really not liking my new OEM wiper blades, they skip across the glass a lot even with lots of water.

Back