Washer Fluid Question

:
2021 Acura RDX
Hello!

I am currently out of town, and I just ran out of washer fluid. Its no big deal, but doesnt the 17 CX-5 GT have a light that pops up on the dash telling you its low? I swear I saw it In the manual, but obviously I read it wrong.

I dont get why these higher end vehicles dont have warning lights?

Hello!

I am currently out of town, and I just ran out of washer fluid. It’s no big deal, but doesn’t the 17’ CX-5 GT have a light that pops up on the dash telling you it’s low? I swear I saw it In the manual, but obviously I read it wrong.

I don’t get why these higher end vehicles don’t have warning lights?

It is in the manual:

2z52mnt.jpg

* means for some models

Last edited:
It is in the manual:

2z52mnt.jpg

* means for some models

Some models means Canadian models.

The low windshield-washer light was only put into Canadian-spec models. I'm not sure if this is a Canadian-law requirement, or just something manufacturers do given the climate.

Last edited:
I found that when the light went on in my Element, I had two squirts more at best. I always keep at least a half bottle spare in the back of the car.

Always best to top up after heavy usage as well.

IskiE

Whenever I check my oil I also glance at the washer fluid.

Monthly checks for me include:

• Oil level
  • Washer fluid level
  • Coolant level
  • Battery level
  • All external lights (front & rear)
  • Tyre pressures
Top up as needed

Last edited:
Monthly checks for me include:

• Oil level
  • Washer fluid level
  • Coolant level
  • Battery level
  • All external lights (front & rear)
  • Tyre pressures
Top up as needed

Yep. Spot on maintenance. I use my own windshield fluid and nothing from the dealer. Nextzett Scheiben Klar is my favorite.

I check brake oil too. Do not open the cap but shake the canister a wee bit.
I also check the radiator cap, shine a torch to check for water pump leaks if any.

Yep. Spot on maintenance. I use my own windshield fluid and nothing from the dealer. Nextzett Scheiben Klar is my favorite.

I use Repco Eclipse Windscreen Additive. They are the largest reseller and supplier in the automotive parts and accessories aftermarket in Australia and New Zealand

I check brake oil too. Do not open the cap but shake the canister a wee bit.
I also check the radiator cap, shine a torch to check for water pump leaks if any.

I just visually look at the brake level. Most new cars shouldn't at an early stage have decreasing brake fluid levels but always good to check

I use Repco Eclipse Windscreen Additive. They are the largest reseller and supplier in the automotive parts and accessories aftermarket in Australia and New Zealand

I have the NextZett or Einzett brand of that concentrate. Good stuff. We get lots of mud and assorted crap along with eternal rain. It works great. I find the usual RainX or store brands are very weak and a waste of money.

Repco has a pretty good reputation from what I hear.

I have the NextZett or Einzett brand of that concentrate. Good stuff. We get lots of mud and assorted crap along with eternal rain. It works great. I find the usual RainX or store brands are very weak and a waste of money.

Repco has a pretty good reputation from what I hear.

Pretty good and provide discounts to owners who are members of a particular insurance company.

Hello!

I am currently out of town, and I just ran out of washer fluid. Its no big deal, but doesnt the 17 CX-5 GT have a light that pops up on the dash telling you its low? I swear I saw it In the manual, but obviously I read it wrong.

I dont get why these higher end vehicles dont have warning lights?
Missing low windshield washer fluid warning light was one of the complaints, including members from Canada, when the gen-2 CX-9 came out about 21 months ago as gen-1 CX-9 has been having this feature. It seems the same thing happened again to gen-2 CX-5. Mazda should keep up features, especially those commonly available on competitors, on newer generation of the models, not take away those and caught people by surprise.

Missing low windshield washer fluid warning light was one of the complaints, including members from Canada, when the gen-2 CX-9 came out about 21 months ago as gen-1 CX-9 has been having this feature. It seems the same thing happened again to gen-2 CX-5. Mazda should keep up features, especially those commonly available on competitors, on newer generation of the models, not take away those and caught people by surprise.

The surprising thing here are: (a) The dashboard has the light , just disabled. There's a thread here somewhere which proves it. (b) the sensor is dirt cheap. (c) I'm pretty certain most of the wiring will also be there. Once again - Mazda N.A. decides to save "pennies". Just simply: amazing.
Another thing - maybe not a problem for you/others but for me its a small pain - even more than 1-touch window buttons. The wiper @ Auto. Why can't they put a dashboard light saying setting is in Auto. That thing kicks off after some time, when in Auto. Most of the time I have to flip the lever up/down to see if setting is Auto or OFF. Next, there's already everything wired and connected with the rear wiper. Effectively - why can't AUTO control both front and rear? As if there might be raining in front but not in rear?

The surprising thing here are: (a) The dashboard has the light , just disabled. There's a thread here somewhere which proves it. (b) the sensor is dirt cheap. (c) I'm pretty certain most of the wiring will also be there. Once again - Mazda N.A. decides to save "pennies". Just simply: amazing.
Another thing - maybe not a problem for you/others but for me its a small pain - even more than 1-touch window buttons. The wiper @ Auto. Why can't they put a dashboard light saying setting is in Auto. That thing kicks off after some time, when in Auto. Most of the time I have to flip the lever up/down to see if setting is Auto or OFF. Next, there's already everything wired and connected with the rear wiper. Effectively - why can't AUTO control both front and rear? As if there might be raining in front but not in rear?
Ha, youre expecting too much from Mazda. I still remember you described it perfectly: penny wise, pound foolish commenting about this kind of behavior by Mazda North American Operations. Another example is MNAO secretly deleted a motor on driver seat for first-year 2016 2nd-gen CX-9 to make it a 6-way adjustment although officially they still claim its a 8-way power driver seat.

As for Auto wiper indicator, theres technical difficulty of doing it. Most vehicles design the rain-sensing wiper in such a way that you have to reset it each time you shut the engine off. So next time you start the engine, you have to turn the wiper stalk off first then turn the stalk to Auto position to make the function activated again. Designing an indicator for it means you cant rely on the stalk position, but the actual activities of the auto wiper function which could be more complicated.

Yeah, I like the idea to connect rear intermittent wiper to front rain-sensing wiper circuitry. Its definitely doable!

Talking to a friend in the auto industry a few years back, the wiring harnesses are different for different builds. So user installed options also become very difficult. Like adding turn signal mirrors to cars that shipped without them - no harness. I would be surprised if the wiring connection is there for this sensor.

But regarding other things mentioned - Auto wipers, never had an indicator for this even on Lexus. It was just a position like the Mazda, set it and forget it.

And I would not want auto wiper tied to rear as I find the rear wiper usage unrelated to front usage. My guess is you would wiping a dry window or smearing it. You would have to have an electronic sensor on the back to make it work half way decent. My rear stays clear enough that it gets a single wipe or two a small fraction of the time compared to the front in most cases.

Everyone has their Mk-1 eyeballs. Check your fluids regularly and you don’t need a light.

Back