OEM Roof Rack Differences

MZ5black

:
2014 Mazda5 Sport Auto
After some research both here and on other Web sites, it appears that the OEM roof rack for Mazda5 (2006+) is sold under at least two different part numbers: 0000-8L-L09 and CG15-V4-701. Perhaps the two products are not the same. Maybe they are identical. I'm not sure. Most of the listings for 00008LL09 point to it being a US roof rack and the other being a Canadian/UK part. Are mounting points any different between US/UK/CAN/etc Mz5's, esp. 2012+ generation? Or are roofs of vehicles sold in all countries the same for roof rack purposes?

Euro/Asian Mazda5/Premacy come with roof rails (not sure if optional or standard on all models), where you only need cross bars to make a load carrying rack. US version come with dedicated mounting points for a roof rack (model specific kit that consist of foot pack + cross bars). Mounting points for US vs Euro/Asia are different from what I recall from US folks looking to do the Euro roof rail conversion (not simple and quite expensive with all things considered). Mounting points for all US Mazda 5 model years are the same so you can use either of the two racks you listed.

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...Installation-Guide-Gen1-(06-10)-and-Gen2-(12-)
Above are my .02 on these two racks.. Both are square bars and will be noisy, but they come with wind diffusers or you can add aftermarket fairing but these are only necessary if you plan to "leave it on". If you plan to take it off/on as needed, the older 0000-8L-L09 is much preferred. The mounting system is self contained - pretty ingenious. The CG15-V4-701 sticks out a little farther but I feel they went backwards with how the mounting mechanism is designed. If you want to set it and forget it, I highly recommend an aftermarket aero rack. They cost more and carry a little less weight but the square bar's noise gets really annoying and fairing reduces MPG.

http://islamicdesign.net/mazda5-roof-rack
Found this by chance.

Thanks for the thoughts, Silentnoise713. I noticed that CG15-V4-701 offered by UK dealers was cheaper than the kit offered by North American dealers. Looks different too.

I may go with an aftermarket one after all. Won't use it much so kind of like the idea of being able to remove and install only as needed. Not sure what I'll do as $300-400 is a bit hard to swallow at the moment.

Thanks for the thoughts, Silentnoise713. I noticed that CG15-V4-701 offered by UK dealers was cheaper than the kit offered by North American dealers. Looks different too.

I may go with an aftermarket one after all. Won't use it much so kind of like the idea of being able to remove and install only as needed. Not sure what I'll do as $300-400 is a bit hard to swallow at the moment.

What's a good aftermarket rack?

I'm looking to sell my 1st gen rack. Anyone interested? Used but in good working condition and comes complete: 2 keys w/ locks, 4 diffusers, electronic copy of OEM manual (scanned it and threw away paper version).

I'm looking to sell my 1st gen rack. Anyone interested? Used but in good working condition and comes complete: 2 keys w/ locks, 4 diffusers, electronic copy of OEM manual (scanned it and threw away paper version).

Do you mind sharing the manual? I recently purchased a used rack without a manual and am unsure of exactly where the diffuses go and my Google-fu seems to be failing me. Think i have them in teh right spot, but am unsure. Thanks!

there's a good chance you misplaced one of the diffusers; note 5-C, middle one should be upside down.

MciPVIj.jpg

there's a good chance you misplaced one of the diffusers; note 5-C, middle one should be upside down.

Oh man, awesome, thanks for this! Yep you're right, had them in the right locations but had no idea that middle front one needed to be upside down!! You should post this as a separate thread... I'll bet lots of second hand owners (and probably first hand) cruising around with these placed incorrectly!

Last edited:
Back