What did you do to your Mazda2 today?

Installed my lightweight battery

CameraZOOM-20130813195411118.jpg

I am adding 100lbs of ballast it seems thanks to some people whining in B-Spec about the 2 being too fast, lol.

-Derrick

Car is going to get a bed sheet in the back to haul the dog to training class tonight. GF's Civic decided to have leaky injector seals, so I am driving the Miata again and she is driving the 2. I should be able to get it fixed after the class though so tomorrow I can drive the 2 again. I miss it.

Drove it for the first time in 3 weeks. I pressure washed the engine on the Metro and it was running weird, so I had to drive the 2 to work. Almost forgot how fun it was :D

I got a couple badges plasti-dipped and took it for a spin while they were on the counter drying. Back-to-back with my WRX, the 2 continually amazes me with how fun it is. Vastly different approaches, but I love the way the Mazda just begs to be tossed around. It's very playful. The Subaru, as awesome as the car has become in this incarnation, is super-serious.

My fog light bezels didn't come out so great the last time, so I've been repainting them, and taking my time with it. Sanded off all the old paint, primed, sanded, metallic base coast, wet sanded, blue metalcast, and now I'm in the middle of the clear coat. Still doesn't look like they're coming out perfect, but they will be a lot better than before. The finish was rough and flaking in places, and I didn't do a clear coat before.

My fog light bezels didn't come out so great the last time, so I've been repainting them, and taking my time with it. Sanded off all the old paint, primed, sanded, metallic base coast, wet sanded, blue metalcast, and now I'm in the middle of the clear coat. Still doesn't look like they're coming out perfect, but they will be a lot better than before. The finish was rough and flaking in places, and I didn't do a clear coat before.

It's a pain to do a lot of good prep, but it really does pay off in the final product. Good luck!

It's a pain to do a lot of good prep, but it really does pay off in the final product. Good luck!

Well, it did come out better, though still not perfect. With this metalcast system I find I have trouble getting angled surfaces evenly. This go around I have a smoother surface with a good clear coat, but I think I put too much blue over the base coat. They look okay, but don't really have that shimmer effect I was going for.

Got the 2 a new roomate, now 100% safe to drive and ready for the track. Really needs suspension though.

I am enjoying having the 14" wheels on the car. Pics to come. I also ordered a set of 195/50/15 RE-11A's for my Mazda 2 wheels for autocrossing I really look forward to having grip again.

I am enjoying having the 14" wheels on the car. Pics to come. I also ordered a set of 195/50/15 RE-11A's for my Mazda 2 wheels for autocrossing I really look forward to having grip again.

Speaking of grip I loaned another competitor my rain tires earlier this year at an event where I had no competition and ran the stock Mazda 2 tires in the rain. They were about 5 seconds a lap slower than the hoosier H20 tires. The grip at the limit was really interesting as you could feel the car break loose and you just had to ease on or off the throttle to drive it around the corners looking like a hero but going slow, lol

-Derrick

Yea the stability control really doesn't like them at all. There is enough slip angle in them to trigger stability to kick in. I have yet to take it through some really hard turns, but I look forward to it. I loved these tires on my Miata because they were so easy to drive hard and to play around the limit of grip without going really fast, or the grip level just falling off when it slides. The ride is much nicer as well which is good since it is my DD.

Put my OEM steelies back on. Taking it into mazda for service saturday morning. OC and steering check.

Then springs, alignments, wheels back on and DONE!

Put my OEM steelies back on. Taking it into mazda for service saturday morning. OC and steering check.
Then springs, alignments, wheels back on and DONE!

Mod work, the best kind of car work.

I took the "Mazda2" off my white hatch and plasti-dipped the front emblem, rear emblem, part of the rear wiper, and the hatch release button white. The front emblem came out great, but everything else came out like liquid butt. I ended up peeling off the rest of the 'dip and covered the "Mazda2" holes with small white vinyl circles. From anything further than about 7 feet, you can't even tell they are there.

I spent a little too much time at work eye-sexin' wheels for my 2. Doesn't count as a mod...yet.

I bought it to replace greenish one previous owner put on there so we'll see how it works out. Thanks for heads up East

Had the oil changed. Mobil 1 0w-20 and a Mobil 1 filter, changed by the dealer so they can track it. What a difference, with so little HP you can feel the effects of fresh oil. Now I'm really considering the Magical Motorcraft transmission oil to buttah-ize the shifts.

Back