Mazda 6 Brake upgrade

Or even just the MZ6 MC swap would be better too. As long as everything bolts up to the existing P5 braking system under the hood.

I'm researching if there is a difference between the Mz6 and Speed6 MC's as well.

^ i was just wondering that if regular mazda6 would just do or best to find mazdaspeed 6 ones or both bolt right on either way

i tried speed bleeders, but the only thing that would work to make the brakes functional is gravity bleeding. I'd be interested in the 929 master cylinder swap as well if it made shorter pedal travel. the 6 brakes are boss, but you have to get into the pedal a little bit first

So you had to get used to them, or you end up figuring what was making them spongey?

I have 2004 6wagon brakes on mine. Stock P5 master cylinder, and hoses. No issues. Except I have no e-brake. I could not get the rears to bleed until I put them on with the bleeders up.

So you had to get used to them, or you end up figuring what was making them spongey?

got used to them at first, but about a month ago i noticed that my brake fluid had suddenly gotten low. i added some and no more spongy feeling. no clue why it happened that way

i have just done the conversion and used a g-clamp to hold the rear pistons in so they could be bled while unbolted with bleed nipple up.

OK, so I've read this thread through a couple of times, and I'm still a little confused, despite all the great information--particularly on the matter of e-brake cable interchangeability.

I replaced one rear caliper on my P5 earlier this year, but now it looks like the adjuster has seized up on the other side. My local junkyard has Grade A (<15K/year) 2004 and 2005 Mazda6 (not Mazdaspeed 6) calipers. I gather that these will fit on the P5 if I change the rotors at the same time, but are the parking brake cables interchangeable? Any other snags I should beware of?

The same junkyard also has Grade A 2000 Mazda 626 rear calipers. Are these preferable to the Mazda6 calipers for the Pro5? Do they also require a rotor swap?

Thanks!

i havent heard if 626 calipers fit.

the 6 ebrake cables are too long i think, but the p5 cable is too short with the 6 caliper. i just re-routed the p5 ebrake cable (unhooked it from clamps and zip-tied it in different places) to make it fit. my 6 calipers were 2008, there is a difference (see post #18) looks like 04/05 calipers wont fit

i havent heard if 626 calipers fit.

the 6 ebrake cables are too long i think, but the p5 cable is too short with the 6 caliper. i just re-routed the p5 ebrake cable (unhooked it from clamps and zip-tied it in different places) to make it fit. my 6 calipers were 2008, there is a difference (see post #18) looks like 04/05 calipers wont fit

Thanks. Post #18 was informative, but I still found it a little ambiguous, particularly in the following statement:

From what I can find, the 2004 calipers are specific to the Mazda6, but the 2006+ calipers are also used on the Lincoln Zephyr, Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan.

That could either mean a) that the 2004 calipers are only used on the Mazda6, but are still interchangeable, or b) That the 2004 calipers cannot be used on any other vehicle.

Still, the same statement implies that 2006+ calipers from the Zephyr, Fusion and Milan are the same as used on the Mazda6, and so will work on the P5, no? (With the e-brake cable re-routing you did, right?) That would certainly increase the odds of finding a good set.

yes from that i get that the 2006+ calipers from the Zephyr, Fusion and Milan ARE the same as used on the Mazda6. if you want to be sure you can just compare part #'s for them all. you can check those easily at rockauto.com

Be sure to check rotor diameter as well. iirc there my be an issue with a few MZ/MS 6 calipers not clearing stock P5 wheels. I am sure that may have been posted before but I thought it was worth saying again. Most junkyards don't do returns and you don't want parts that won't fit.

Bumping and updating this thread as I have found a good rear solution for those that don't want to do the crazy ebrake setup for MZ6 brakes: 99+ 626 rear brakes

I've been researching all morning and found a bunch of Probe guys do this swap. They already know about the P5/MZ6/MS6 swaps and those all bolt up to a Probe, as do the 626 brakes, so they should also be a direct swap for us! They are the same diameter as the MSP/MZ6 rear brakes, but bolt in and are way cheaper!

I already have a set of 07 MZ6 front brakes, and will be finding some 99+ 626 rears to complete my OEM BBK. Very Excite!

Front: (Height | Width | Weight)
2006-09 Mazda6 (v6) : 298mm | 25mm | 19lbs
2003-05 Mazda6 (v6) : 282mm | 25mm | 14.8lbs
2003-03.5 Mazda MSP: 273mm | 24mm | 13.5lbs
2002-03 Mazda Pro5 : 257mm | 24mm | 12lbs

Rear: (Height | Width | Weight)
2006-09 Mazda6 (v6) : 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2003-04 Mazda6 (v6) : 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2003-03.5 Mazda MSP: 280mm | 10mm | 9.3lbs
2002-03 Mazda Pro5 : 261mm | 10mm | 9lbs
1999-02 Mazda 626: 280mm | ??mm | ??lbs

Research links:
http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701263582
http://www.mx6.com/forums/2g-faq-performance/199188-brake-upgrade-how.html

Yup. Same thing as MSP. The rotor diameter is larger, but the brake pad clamping surface is smaller in the rear.

Leave it to Mazda...

Not that brake function is bad, I can easily lock tires up, just the design of the rear calipers were as much of a failure as the LSD on an msp

Glad i could help you Protege guys out with that info. Im surprised no one has done the 98+ 626 stuff before in all truth. They were a decent little upgrade even on my larger 97 626 to match my Mazda6 fronts i swapped on.

Now refresh the 929 brake master cylinder info and give that a try. :)

Back