CX-70 delayed to next year

To add to the discussion and put some things in a perspective. The previous version of CX-5 from 2014 (the one I own currently as well) has 34.1 cubic feet of cargo volume which is significantly more than current CX-5 and CX-50. So literally over the past few years (intentionally or unintentionally) Mazda decided to shrink their cars. It's the same with CX-90. I don't say that it's necessarily a bad move but in the end you pay more for less and if in the end, size wise and utility wise, CX-70 ends up as a more expensive version of my CX-5 with $20K price increase it's going to be a really hard decision to go with another Mazda car.

To add to the discussion and put some things in a perspective. The previous version of CX-5 from 2014 (the one I own currently as well) has 34.1 cubic feet of cargo volume which is significantly more than current CX-5 and CX-50. So literally over the past few years (intentionally or unintentionally) Mazda decided to shrink their cars. It's the same with CX-90. I don't say that it's necessarily a bad move but in the end you pay more for less and if in the end, size wise and utility wise, CX-70 ends up as a more expensive version of my CX-5 with $20K price increase it's going to be a really hard decision to go with another Mazda car.
This is not true. The 2023 CX-5 is almost identical to the 2014 in dimensions. The vehicle is not getting smaller. So there are 2 things potentially going on. They may have traded some cargo volume for passenger volume to make the cabin more comfortable in the front and/or rear row. The other issue is the addition of features/equipment could be reducing vehicle interior space.

i believe the industry may have changed the way they measure cargo space around those years. Resulting in lower space on the spec sheet, but more representative of real useable space. Here is a good article about the issue of cargo space measurement from 2014.

In a lot of cases cargo space didn’t really get lower, its just that started accounting for it more realistically.

I had a 2014 CX-5 and a 2021 CX-5. The rear area is basically identical. The only major difference is the addition of carpet to the rear - which could take up maybe 0.1". Otherwise, it is identical. I also have had two CX-9's (2018 and 2021) and have spent lots of time in the CX-90 and the CX-90 is bigger in every way.

It's interesting because that's not what I found. When at some point I measured the length of the trunk, the one in the current CX-5 was slightly shorter than the one in mine, also slightly less leg room in the rear seat. Not a huge difference but still. Overall length of the car might be the same but the current CX-5 has a longer hood and that results in slightly less usable space in the rest of the car.

Regarding CX-90, I had only a chance to sit in one a couple of times but that was always after spending some time in mine CX-9 and unfortunately always being quite disappointed by how tight it felt sitting in the driver's seat or in the rear seat. Not much different than in mine but definitely not in a positive way. Actual specs unfortunately are supporting this feeling.

It's interesting because that's not what I found. When at some point I measured the length of the trunk, the one in the current CX-5 was slightly shorter than the one in mine, also slightly less leg room in the rear seat. Not a huge difference but still. Overall length of the car might be the same but the current CX-5 has a longer hood and that results in slightly less usable space in the rest of the car.

Regarding CX-90, I had only a chance to sit in one a couple of times but that was always after spending some time in mine CX-9 and unfortunately always being quite disappointed by how tight it felt sitting in the driver's seat or in the rear seat. Not much different than in mine but definitely not in a positive way. Actual specs unfortunately are supporting this feeling.

The center console is much bigger in the Cx-90 but it just felt much roomier than my CX-9. And the leg room for the passenger side was much better. The 3rd row is better as well - the second row felt identical -but higher up. The rear space with all rows up is bigger in the CX-90. Not by much, but enough to be noticeable. I have a bin of cycling gear (helmets, shoes, gloves, pump, etc) I always keep in my car and it is a tight fight in my CX-9 with all seats up - basically it fits but nothing else can be put back there. In the CX-90, if fits easily and with lots of room on the sides and higher up to put stuff.

Wow. Hate to sound so negative but that man has no idea what he’s talking about for most of that review. He thinks the cx50 is on the same platform as a Corolla Cross.
Oof.

>mention that the CX5 will probably be replaced by CX70 and we will see that next month.

It is like saying that Corolla will be replaced by Camry...
Or, CR-V will be replaced by Pilot.
Funny.
We know Mazda better than they do, which review many vehicles/brands.

CX-5 is here to stay at least for one more generation.
Mazda's best seller ... don't mess with it.
Any executive should at least have that common sense.

There you go, the "apology". Interesting is that he brought Dave so fast to make things straight.

But I am torn about Dave's secret project. Everybody knows about the CX70 and the upcoming EV's, therefore I would speculate that is none of those.
Maybe a sedan ? Maybe that new coupe concept ? Something must be cooking by Mazda.

The center console is much bigger in the Cx-90 but it just felt much roomier than my CX-9. And the leg room for the passenger side was much better. The 3rd row is better as well - the second row felt identical -but higher up. The rear space with all rows up is bigger in the CX-90. Not by much, but enough to be noticeable. I have a bin of cycling gear (helmets, shoes, gloves, pump, etc) I always keep in my car and it is a tight fight in my CX-9 with all seats up - basically it fits but nothing else can be put back there. In the CX-90, if fits easily and with lots of room on the sides and higher up to put stuff.
Overall I think your impression/description is very similar to mine regarding CX-90. My problem is the price. If this car would be only few thousands of dollars more comparing to what I paid for my CX-9 I could compromise but only some slight differences and the new power train are not worth to me an extra $10K Canadian. I am almost glad that most likely my next car (some years from now) won't have to be a 3 row SUV. Older kids, different needs. Replacing an aging CX-5 will be a priority so CX-70 is definitely on my radar.

Space wise I would prefer something slightly roomier, that's why current CX-5 does not hit all the check boxes. Station Wagon would be ideal but that's not going to happen in North America:cry:.

There you go, the "apology". Interesting is that he brought Dave so fast to make things straight.

But I am torn about Dave's secret project. Everybody knows about the CX70 and the upcoming EV's, therefore I would speculate that is none of those.
Maybe a sedan ? Maybe that new coupe concept ? Something must be cooking by Mazda.
Wow. That’s impressive. Good for him for setting the record straight and flexing his professional network while at it.

I was hoping that was a cx70 tucked away in behind but it seems it’s a cx90 he was talking about at the end.

This is a CX-70 thread in a CX-70 subforum. Stay on topic everyone.

To sign up for the Canada information (prior post), you would need to use a Canadian postal code.
LOL. Us Canadians deal with that all the time with US sites that require a Zip Code. Just look for one online. Alternatively you can just wait for the US sign up as that will likely come shortly.

January 30th looks to be the reveal date.

I know that Mazda hasn't been officially listed as an exhibitor at the Canadian Auto Show from 2/16-25, but I am still hopeful that they will announce this at the same time of the CX-70 reveal. The timing is perfect.

I know that Mazda hasn't been officially listed as an exhibitor at the Canadian Auto Show from 2/16-25, but I am still hopeful that they will announce this at the same time of the CX-70 reveal. The timing is perfect.

That would be pretty neat but I remember that Mazda is kinda staying away from the car shows lately. Last year I don't even think they were at the Canadian Auto Show.

I am also wondering is the car to be revealed under the cover ? This does not look like a Mazda at all, it does look like an SUV but definitely not a Mazda shape.

1704246746358.png

That would be pretty neat but I remember that Mazda is kinda staying away from the car shows lately. Last year I don't even think they were at the Canadian Auto Show.

I am also wondering is the car to be revealed under the cover ? This does not look like a Mazda at all, it does look like an SUV but definitely not a Mazda shape.

View attachment 324822
I don't think this is the actual vehicle as the proportions look very odd.
This vehicle doesn't seem to have side mirrors, either, so there's that, too.

I don't think this is the actual vehicle as the proportions look very odd.
This vehicle doesn't seem to have side mirrors, either, so there's that, too.

Side mirrors are probably folded in, maybe it will have auto-folding mirrors.

The proportions are definitely off. Looks more like a FWD design with the front wheel arch's silhouette so close to the windshield, compared to the CX-90. The short hood and large, sharp underbite of the front bumper is also a clear departure from the typical Mazda SUV design language. Doesn't look like the I6 would fit in that engine bay. I feel like they're using this particular image of a different vehicle to stir up some conversation before the launch. Looks like it could be a Corolla Cross under there, with the image simply doctored to add/remove some defining shape lines lol.

I am surprised that Mazda US has not provided a similar update. I wonder if Mazda would reveal it in Canada first.

It looks like a 1st gen CX-5 with a grand cherokee grill lol. On another note, I hope they introduce a new color with the 70 because while the 90 has good colors, the 70 could definitely benefit from a unique option (a nice fancy green!)

Nobody does long reveals like Mazda. Making us guess at a bedsheet's hidden contents. Hopefully the time is used well, to bring a refined 70 to the market.

Edit- i notice that Car and Driver states it will have a shorter wheelbase than the 90, which to me ends the rumour of similar dimensions between the two models. I didn't believe they would as it seemed silly, but the rumour had some staying power.

Back