2012 CX-9 4wd light blinks when slippery

:
2012 CX-9 Sport
My awd isn't working correctly. When in slippery conditions, the 4wd light comes on, the car acts like its only fwd.

I looked the best I can, the wires on the sensor seem ok.

Any other ideas what I can look at to fully diagnosis the problem. No warning lights. or engine codes.

I am afraid its the rear transfer case, if so does anyone have any sources for used or rebuilt ones?

Thank you,

Steve Hathaway

It definitely is the transfer case, look at all the posts in this section, there are plenty of threads and info on this problem. You might have also chewed the transmission splines which would mean a new transmission if you want to recover your awd. No way to know if you also need this untlil you remove the transfer case.

Could be but the only reported problem with the rear diff is usually the wire for the solenoid that gets cut and when that happens you get a solid 4wd light.

If the splines are out, there is still a little bit of friction which would be enough to turn the driveshaft but not the rear wheels. You could try it on a lift I guess at very low speed and try to stop the driveshaft from turning and see if it works.

My awd isn't working correctly. When in slippery conditions, the 4wd light comes on, the car acts like its only fwd.

I looked the best I can, the wires on the sensor seem ok.

Any other ideas what I can look at to fully diagnosis the problem. No warning lights. or engine codes.

I am afraid its the rear transfer case, if so does anyone have any sources for used or rebuilt ones?

Thank you,

Steve Hathaway
@unicorncomputer Any update on your problem? In case you are still experiencing this problem, I had almost the same thing. 4wd light was coming on only when it was slippery (with snow or ice actually). 4wd was working ok but not when the light came on. Exactly like you, once the light came on, the car was only in fwd. I could not see if one of the solenoid wires were damaged or cut. I decided to tackle the problem and remove the coupling unit and one of the wires was obviously the cause. I did repair it (thanks to puma in another thread here). You can look at my posts in that thread started by puma and see about my misfortune removing the coupling unit (4 bolts snapped!) but other than that very easy to repair. 4wd now back on duty!

Back