What new Mazda is coming?

Quote from article: "As a brand-new addition to the Mazda lineup" indicates it is not a model in their current lineup. So, this is not an update of an existing model designation. The CX family is missing a 7. Toyota is also missing a Venza replacement. If it's getting built in Alabama alongside a Toyota, I can see a larger 2-row CUV coming out of that plant.

Look at what models will be displayed:
the new 3 in hatchback verision, the 6 in sedan and wagon, the CX-5, the 2 and the MX-5 RF.
But where is the CX-3?

Quote from article: "As a brand-new addition to the Mazda lineup" indicates it is not a model in their current lineup. So, this is not an update of an existing model designation. The CX family is missing a 7. Toyota is also missing a Venza replacement. If it's getting built in Alabama alongside a Toyota, I can see a larger 2-row CUV coming out of that plant.

Agreed. Ive been saying for weeks that every reference to this news says/suggests its a clean sheet addition to their lineup, but folks kept guessing a next-gen CX-3 or some port of a Chinese model. Theyre making a big reveal out of this for a reason.

Perhaps if it looked like the *cute Ute* of the previous generation you*d like it? [emoji23][emoji41]

It's more that I just don't care for these new Mazda front ends. That hood "overbite" on the Gen 2 CX-5s for instance with that gigantic chrome lower lip.

I still think its a Coup SUV

b79194202269e9fd26797beeacb15916.jpg

If nothing else, drop the 2.5L in. We test drove a CX-3 recently and that thing was gutless.

I think the problem is it doesnt fit. Cant find it now but I thought I read they couldnt do their barrel of snakes exhaust manifold properly in the CX-3 due to the shorter engine compartment which is why the power output is lower in that car than the 2.0 is in other cars like the 3. Might be part of why it feels so gutless.

Last edited:
Hmmm new suv?
Could be the cx-7. Was going to jump on the cx-5 signature. But Ill wait till this unveils in March to make my decision. Very excited!

I think the problem is it doesn*t fit. Can*t find it now but I thought I read they couldn*t do their barrel of snakes exhaust manifold properly in the CX-3 due to the shorter engine compartment which is why the power output is lower in that car than the 2.0 is in other cars like the 3. Might be part of why it feels so gutless.

Yeah CX-3 just felt like a fail to me.

I personally felt like the Mazda 3 we test drove as well had a more comfortable interior and with the same 2.0L engine far more peppy and speedy. Only think CX-3 had over it at that point was AWD, but otherwise felt more cramped and gutless.

Yea Ive driven 3s with the 2.0 and in that car its fine. Similar to most of the competition anyway.

I bet the timing is a lot less aggressive due to the difference in exhaust manifold.

Geneva is where you would expect a euro model to be announced. It'll be a couple of years before the Toyota-Mazda plant is up and running and they claim it will produce a model unique to the American market. It's possible this CX-4 won't make it here and instead there will be something else announced next year or so. A CX-7 would slot in between the 5 and 9 size wise and would make sense.

I suppose it might also make it here as a replacement for the CX-3 though.

Last edited:
If it gives me a little better: handling, mpg, and paddles we probably have a deal- I'll live with the compromised cargo area assuming the clubs get in without flipping a flipping seat!

Is it using the 2.0L or 2.5L? Fail if 2.0L. That CX-3 sucked!

Edit: So looked up some pictures. Looks like a CX-5 for short people????

Last edited:
^I'd bet engine options will mirror CX-5s unless we get a compression ignition option debut!

Wouldnt have the same limitations as the 2.0 in the CX-3 but given they dropped it from the 3 for the US I think Mazda understands Americans want the larger engine and its probably using the 2.5 NA as the base with possible upgrades of the 2.5T or Skyactiv X.

i actually really like the cx-3, it's not for everyone,
but it's nice and compact and no issues with comfort,
It would be nice if they can enlarge the trunk space a bit.

cx-4 for short people? haha..
sure i guess with that analogy i guess the mazda3 is for little people then?

i actually really like the cx-3, it's not for everyone,
but it's nice and compact and no issues with comfort,
It would be nice if they can enlarge the trunk space a bit.

cx-4 for short people? haha..
sure i guess with that analogy i guess the mazda3 is for little people then?
CX-3 was relatively fine on that front, but WOT was quite gutless, especially with 2 other people in the car.

Back