Towing, Hauling with a Skyactiv Mazda 2.5L…Experiences?

:
Skyactiv 2015 Mazda 6, 2.5L NA, Custom 91 Octane Tune
What's your experience been like? CX-5, CX-9, Mazda 3's 6's... I am primarily curious to hear how the Skyactiv 2.5L engine performs.

I have a fully 91 octane custom tuned 2015 Mazda 6, Auto, with more than 311,000KM.

It says inside the door jamb that maximum cargo weight is up to 875LB. I've been curious for some time to see how she would perform.

So, I filled her up with bleach and vinegar from a Costco haul. Myself included, I loaded her to about 550LB, which is still well within range, and drove back home. The drive was mostly at highway speeds on twisting one lane county roads.

Some comments:

A. Drivetrain performed excellent as always. Effortlessly holding the highest gear until the minimum allowable RPM before downshifting without any lugging or bogging at all.
B. Chassis itself performed great; the mostly original, dead stock suspension, not so much. It was pogo-ey and a bit wallowy, with too much body roll around the bends.

@Agape_365 tows with their CX-9 quite often. Here is one instance where the CX-9 was loaded with 1900lbs in the trunk, which is 500lbs over the recommended payload capacity.

I also have a CX-9. I've never towed anything, but I did load up with about 1200lbs of cargo and drove the car 12 hours for a move to another province. The car handled the extra weight very well.

And here's a thread with more information on towing with a 2nd gen CX-9.

Don't have any other trailer pics on my phone currently but search my username I am sure some will pop up.

This trailer is 800 lbs empty, on average I have between 8 and 1200 lbs in it.

Main drive is the coquillaha, look up the tv show hwy thru hell for an idea of what thats like. (So awesone it has its own tv show about wrecks).

1000007729.jpg

Back