2015 CX-5 Diesel Engine blown…What’s it worth?

Hello From Australia. I need some advice.

How much is my mazda worth with a blown motor? Great condition otherwise?

I bought myself a 2015, 2.2l Diesel Mazda cx5 - Maxx sport in dec 2024. I had driven it to around 118000km and - MY ENGINE FAILS MID DRIVE. Had it Towed to my Mazda Service centre to find out it happens to a heap of Mazda's. Asked them what I do and they said to replace the engine with a brand new or sourced second hand- they would do the work help source it. blah blah but Id take it to a local mechanic if I was to choose that option and I would take it straight to a dealership for trade in the day it was fixed. That is going to cost over $10000 which I do not see myself having anytime soon so it would sit for over a year maybe almost or i was thinking should i find the best offer from a cash for cars business and use that to put towards my new car. But I have no idea what price id ask for it when i Have no idea what it’s worth?

I bargained my seller down to $18000 when it had 90000km and the engine was running.

WOULD it be financially smarter to scrap it to cashforcars. replace or rebuild the engine or are there any other options i could take.
i Put all my savings onto this car when i got it less then 7 months ago and now I've got something insurance doesn't cover and isn't a cheap fix! so left out of pocet and carless and my work requires me to drive !!!!

Please help!

Honestly I'm not familiar with the reliability of the diesel power train but I think you have answered your own question with "heaps" of Mazda having the same issue. That said.. if you rebuild it replace, you might just run into the same issue again down the road. But I do think you should get it back to running condition and cut your losses rather than completely junking it. I think it'll make more financially sense.

I went through this math exercise with a Ford in the United States not too long ago after an engine failure. I think you need to get actual offers -- not what you think those offers should be -- for the car as-is. Maybe you can negotiate them up 10%, but you need to find a buyer.

Once you have your best offer, add your expected cost of repair to get the car running, and whatever your transport cost will be while the car is in the shop. If that total is less than the resale after repair, get it fixed. If it is more, sell now.

With our Ford it ended up being net $10k more advantageous to repair and sell, but I don't know what the market is like in Australia. Sucks you're stuck here, good luck.

Rebuild it, not that bad. I'm in Brisbane and am in the process now. I assume you have blown the head gasket(common). If you can do it yourself it will be well under a grand including oil and coolant. Head shave was $320 gasket $275. Hours ?????? so far about 20 and still going. If I can get out for 50hrs all up I'll be happy. I am slow and I take lots of photos.

I bought myself a 2015, 2.2l Diesel Mazda cx5 - Maxx sport in dec 2024. I had driven it to around 118000km and - MY ENGINE FAILS MID DRIVE. Had it Towed to my Mazda Service centre to find out it happens to a heap of Mazda's. Asked them what I do and they said to replace the engine with a brand new or sourced second hand- they would do the work help source it. blah blah but Id take it to a local mechanic if I was to choose that option and I would take it straight to a dealership for trade in the day it was fixed. That is going to cost over $10000 which I do not see myself having anytime soon so it would sit for over a year maybe almost or i was thinking should i find the best offer from a cash for cars business and use that to put towards my new car. But I have no idea what price id ask for it when i Have no idea what it’s worth?

I bargained my seller down to $18000 when it had 90000km and the engine was running.

WOULD it be financially smarter to scrap it to cashforcars. replace or rebuild the engine or are there any other options i could take.
i Put all my savings onto this car when i got it less then 7 months ago and now I've got something insurance doesn't cover and isn't a cheap fix! so left out of pocet and carless and my work requires me to drive !!!!

Please help!
Since you’re in Australia, you can contact Mazda Australia directly seeking for help. Mazda Australia has been the most generous company to help those 2.2L diesel owners who have a broken 2.2L diesel engine.

I’m in Australia, Mazda 2 years out of warranty but they just replaced engine at absolutely no charge. Initially I was told I would have to pay for diagnostic but they didn’t even charge me that, just did it all under “goodwill” . Very impressed and would definitely buy another Mazda based on service received

Blown head gasket for CX-5 Diesel

Rebuild it, not that bad. I'm in Brisbane and am in the process now. I assume you have blown the head gasket(common). If you can do it yourself it will be well under a grand including oil and coolant. Head shave was $320 gasket $275. Hours ?????? so far about 20 and still going. If I can get out for 50hrs all up I'll be happy. I am slow and I take lots of photos.
If you’re capable of DIY rebuilding the 2.2L diesel, that definitely is the way to go. But I doubt the OP can do that. If you pay a capable shop or Mazda dealer doing the rebuild, the cost will be very high. And a new cylinder head usually is needed because it could have cracked.

Besides, the general practice by Mazda to fix this overheating problem is to replace the entire engine, not a rebuild. A rebuild can only fix the problem on surface, not the root cause.

BTW, you also want to replace the oil pump chain and even the turbo as these are also the common problem areas on Mazda’s 2.2L diesel. If the oil pump chain breaks while driving, your engine most likely would be done.

My oil chain is broken- mazda confirm. rebuild or straight replacement?
If you’re capable of DIY rebuilding the 2.2L diesel, that definitely is the way to go. But I doubt the OP can do that. If you pay a capable shop or Mazda dealer doing the rebuild, the cost will be very high. And a new cylinder head usually is needed because it could have cracked.

Besides, the general practice by Mazda to fix this overheating problem is to replace the entire engine, not a rebuild. A rebuild can only fix the problem on surface, not the root cause.

BTW, you also want to replace the oil pump chain and even the turbo as these are also the common problem areas on Mazda’s 2.2L diesel. If the oil pump chain breaks while driving, your engine most likely would be done.

Please help!
Adding that the Exact issue that cause of engine dead is the OIL CHAIN BROKE! rebuild possible or replacement?

Back