2023 CX-5 Upper front strut covers not attached, just flopping around

I just painted calipers on my CX-5 2023 Turbo Signature and noticed the upper front strut covers are not attached on both sides, left and right. just flops around.
There are some notches on the strut that it looks like they should lock onto. Someone please take a look at yours and see if it is attached or are they loose, no need to take off tire. Weird thing is there are 8 "nubs" on the cover and only 5 on the part where it looks like it should fit into that makes it difficult to secure them.
Only 7.5k on my CX-5.

Attachments

• strut boot.jpg
    strut boot.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I have a 2018 CX-9, but mine have been loose like that for years. I think I noticed it back in 2020 and I'd just try to pull them back down and reseat them. But after that I've just let them flop around. I'm thinking maybe I'll find some way to ziptie them in place next time I have the car jacked up for a fluid change or something.

I have a 2018 CX-9, but mine have been loose like that for years. I think I noticed it back in 2020 and I'd just try to pull them back down and reseat them. But after that I've just let them flop around. I'm thinking maybe I'll find some way to ziptie them in place next time I have the car jacked up for a fluid change or something.
Thanks! PITA to get back on. I was thinking same thing with zip tie. Mine is still under warranty, I will ask dealer to look at them. If you check, you will see there are more "nubs" on boot then notches on where they seat. It would be a piece of cake if they matched. I tried to push them on with no luck.

my 2023 turbo is the same. I think it is designed that way on purpose. I can not see the benefit of it being attached.

my 2023 turbo is the same. I think it is designed that way on purpose. I can not see the benefit of it being attached.
Thanks for checking! I Hear you, but why have a protective boot if not attached? Doesn't make sense. Hope we have a Mazda Tech that can verify about it.

Thanks for checking! I Hear you, but why have a protective boot if not attached? Doesn't make sense. Hope we have a Mazda Tech that can verify about it.
it is there to keep the shaft from getting nicked and it probably does a better job of protecting the shaft if grit or mud can actually get back out. I have had many pairs of shocks that had the same type of boot.the boot probably lasts a lot longer not being attached so there is that.

it is there to keep the shaft from getting nicked and it probably does a better job of protecting the shaft if grit or mud can actually get back out. I have had many pairs of shocks that had the same type of boot.the boot probably lasts a lot longer not being attached so there is that.
Makes sense, thanks...

Back