Rishie's FITMENT RECIPE

ARD MP5

Contributor
Hello Gentlemen.

I had posted this on the other board a very long time ago. But knowing how loyal people are to a single board I've come to find out that several are not looking into this. So here it is:

THE MATRIX: 3rd Generation Proto's

Mazda Protege5 fitment guide

215/40/17; 215/35/18
-------------
7.0" +45 and higher
7.5" +48 and higher

205/40/17
-------------
7.0" +42 and higher; Barely making it
7.5" +48 or higher, the +45 still worries me with this width on a 205.

Mazda Protege Sedan
----------------------------
Can run 2 to 3 mm less offset than the Wagon. Appears to have a little more room under the fender. As we've got no problems with wheelguuruu's 19's at all.

BEWARE OF THE PASSENGER SIDE. IT will be the first to rub. hehe. Not as much negative adjustment on that side, even with camber bolts. Based on left hand drive. hehe.

Hope this helps everyone. Please feel free to call us as we will be stocking the real good ones, quality, appearance, weight, perfect fitment. Plus you'll get your forum/club deal and the sanctity of mind that the fitment has my blessing.

Be weary of the "local tire shop" as many have not done real time fitments prior to your consultation. Not even the manufacturers who create the fitment guide for the dealers have test fitted everything. It's based on patterns with fitments in the industry. Unfortunately, our cars veer off that line just slightly but enough to be very annoying and bad when you just bought wheels that you were told fit only to have them rub.

We are a tuning shop and therefore specialize in certain performance oriented vehicles. Therefore do multiple fitments on the same vehicles with different wheels and so forth. We weigh them loaded and unloaded, tires and wheels. It's some good info to base your decisions on.

Thanks, Rishie

PLEASE READ IT SLOW AND TAKE NOTES. THIS IS A NO bulls*** POST. ALL OF THE INFO AND STIPULATIONS ARE INDICATED.

Ok Rishie, you seem to be the man when it comes to rims and tires. I have seen great answers to everyone's questions, and most of the people thank you for the answers.
So, I, being completely wheel stupid when it comes to sizes and stuff, looked at your last post, and am still a little confused, hoping you can help.
I want to buy the rims that are attached in the pic below. They are Excel DL-46's in a 17X7 size. Unfortunately, I cannot figure out which ones to get, when it comes to bolt patterns, offset, yada yada yada. Some guy (i wish I could remember his name, 'cause I would shoot him) said that if I want 16" rims, go with a 4 bolt pattern, and with 17" size, go 5 bolt. Is there any truth to this at all??
Ok, almost done picking your brain(hopefully this will help others as dumb as me, if there are any!) Also, what tire size do you recommend? 205/40/17's or 215/45/17's? My car is not lowered, but may decide to install an eibach lowering kit later.
Last question, I have heard that you have some of the greatest deals available for rims, and was wondering if you carry these, and how much the would cost me with shipping to Hawaii. I will not be buying them for a few more months, but I am trying to get an estimate on how much to save. The best I could find now was for $899 for the rims and tires, plus $125 shipping to good ol' HI.
Thanks for you help man, I really apprecaite it. Like I said, I am new to this whole thing, and just trying to learn as much as I can.
excel%20dl-46(silver).bmp

Can you give us fitments for the stock 16" tires on a P5? I need new rubber soon, but won't be buying new rims.

Thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately I'm out of town right now but when I return in less than a week i will get you some answers. Depending on the offset of the wheel you may or may not be able to fit it. I will have to look into this for you.

As for tire sizes the offset will depict whether or not you can do a 205/40/ or 215/40 but no 45 series.

Arkos, I can't remember if our stock wheel is 6" wide or 6.5" wide. If it is 6.5" wide you can upgrade to a 205/45/16. If not I would suggest remaining with the stock tire size of 195/50/16. Ask someone on the board as my car is not with me.

Later, Rishie

Thanks Rishie :)

Anyone happen to know the width of the stock P5 tire?

Also, .. Rishie: when you get back in town, can you quote me some prices?

ArkosP5 said:

Um, I think they are 195s...Did you look at your tire??

ArkosP5 said:

the width of the stock tires are 195's

and the width of the stock 16" wheels are 6 inch.

Auto R & D at SEMA w/19's

We were missing a couple stickers at this time. The car looks a little different now.

DSCN7225.jpg

DSCN7224.jpg

Rishie

I would love 19s on my P5...!

But they would fit ?

I love to do some hard-cornering, but hate to hear tires rubbing the car or things like that...
Is it possible to turn around corners hard with 19s and really low suspensions ???
Don't like air-suspensions...

Thanks in advance for the details in offsets, widths, and tire brand options and measurements. Preferably I would like to have ultra-lite forged wheels...

FEDE.:p

Andres that sounds like a physical impossibility unless you plan to do some fender rolling and repositioning of the struts. 18s...19s can you tell the difference all that much?

It's not impossible, but is also relative to what you consider to be really low suspension. Sean's MP3 is real low in my opinion and he's driven the s*** out of that thing at that ride height. For testing purposes only though. :D

Remember that it's the rear of the P5 that is different. The fronts are the same. But who would want to buy different offsets for the front and rear. Well I would but that's just me. I'd want a thinner wheel track in the rear to get that f***r to rotate. hehe.

If you get the right offset it could work. You'd run a 215/35/19 obviously and can't slam your s*** as much as a 17" or 18" wheel because you're an inch taller no matter what with the 19. But it's possible.

Give me an idea of how low you're talking. Measure from the ground to the front and rear of your sideskirt. I just want to hyptohesize this for s**** and giggles.

There are 7" wide 19's now so that makes things quite a bit easier to work out. Still very limited but it'll all be there on the website in the next month. Woo Hoo. Finally a damn website. I probably should have caved in sooner.

Laters, Rishie:D

Last edited:
So will a 17 x 7.5" rim with 205/40/17's and a 45 mm offset fit my p5 ok?
I was only going to go with a 1.3-1.5" lowering spring.
Thanks,
Evan

That's a real tough one. I can't give you an honest opinion other than it depends on what tire brand and model you run. I would assume that it wouldn't. It's one of those iffy situations which is why it's not posted in the recipe. Good job. You're the first to have picked up on that "hole", hehe. It's called the Unknown Zone of the recipe. hehe. However, if enough people try it we can gather the data.

Rishie

I'll see if I can get one test fitted this week sometime. I'll use a Rota and just check it out.

I have a new idea...

First of all,

You're right Melicha8,,, from 18 to 19" it's not going to be so different anyway...
And Rishie, thanks a lot for your time and advice. The thing is that I want the car to sit with the tires some 1/2 or 3/4" inside the fenders, so you can barely see the rubber. That's the kind of look I want, but of course I want to corner hard.
I don't know if measuring the distances from ground to the front and rear will give a real answer since I'm not looking for a specific ground clearance but more for a certain wheel gap (a non-existing wheel gap for that matter...):p .
Now, some valuable data is that I will be installing 2 amps, a 12" sub and a fiberglass box for it, so there would be some extra 80 lbs all the time over the rear suspensions...

Now, I really wanted the new Rotary-Forged CenterLine wheels
Forged Center Line wheels
An it looked nice they have 18" by only 7" wide wheels (black for my Lazerbluemica please...) but the offset doesn't fit your recipe Rishie, those are only +42 mm
So now I'm really confused... Those were the wheels I really wanted, they have them in black, and they're only an unbelievable 15.5 lbs a piece!!!! (amazing for a 18"...):cool:

So... I am looking forward for comments...

Thanks in advance for time once again!!!
FEDE.

Well, SEan spoke with centerline at SEMA and we were told that we can perform the mod to get these to fit and it won't sacrifice the integrity of the lugnut seat. So you can get them but this is about a $200.00 additional charge.

So how much tire do you want to see? Half inch or what. I can figure it out then. The problem when lowered too much is that you'll rub in the front when you crank the wheel. So I don't know if you can have both. My P5 is totally border line.

Back