Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Visit TeamMFactory.com for the best Mazda transmission components!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feels like my car is pulling back power

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

cruisin somewhere between Copperas Cove and Harker Heights, TX

feels like my car is pulling back power

For some reason, when I am driving my car, as soon as my car sees boost it feels like it pulls back power. It drives fine during regular driving, but as soon as my boost gauge touches 0 or higher, it feels like the engine rocks and if I gradually give it more gas and get more boost, it will rock again and it feels like it is the car is losing power or something. The rocking thing with the engine is not huge, but I can feel a slight rocking motion as soon as the car sees boost. Of course the engine moves during gas on/gas off driving or shifting but this is not that. I gradually give it gas until the needle on the gauge reaches 0 and it pulls back. Any higher in boost and it feels like it pulls back more. any clue what it is? I don't want to blow my motor. I am ordering a split second air/fuel and timing controller and rear motor mount this week.

RIP 1549

Running higher than stock boost can easily cause fuelcut but that usually more violent like hitting a wall. I would check your plugs first to see if they look healthy if they are looking a redish brown you are running lean and shiny specs on them would be from detonation. Could be bad coils they are a common failure or the wga could be bad causing you to run higher boost and run out of fuel.
    GT3071R Dual BB 64a/r Steedspeed Mani SpeedCircuit block Arias 8.5:1 Pauter Rods Stage 1 Head AWR oil pan PAR 1-4 Straightcut gearset Haltech F10A J&S Safeguard w Knock Gauge AEM WB Autometer Boost EGT Gauges CS Radiator Walbro GSS342 Fuel Pump Perrin Fuel Rail JoeP FCD Denso Forester 730cc Injectors MSP LSD welded Competition Clutch Stage 5 SS clutchline & brake lines Pope 3" Dp My Custom 3" Boost Activated Cutout Polished Gauge rings Polished Door Sills B&M SS 16oz SS shiftknob Magnacore wires 4awg ground kit Nex Full Coilovers Racing Beat rear sway AWR endlinks DIY Mounts Bronzoil Bushings Redline shiftboot e-brake boot Rota P1 Black 18x8 Yoko S Drives 215/35/18 Sony headunit Sony 1000w 2ch Kenwood 550w 4ch Sony 12" Infinity Reference doors PA 2 farad cap
    FS P5 Rad, P5 OEM Intake , P5 Fans http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123768336

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by shane02pro5 View Post
    Running higher than stock boost can easily cause fuelcut but that usually more violent like hitting a wall. I would check your plugs first to see if they look healthy if they are looking a redish brown you are running lean and shiny specs on them would be from detonation. Could be bad coils they are a common failure or the wga could be bad causing you to run higher boost and run out of fuel.
    thanks for the info, I replaced my coils recently and I have experienced fuel cut before so I know it is not fuel cut. I will check my plugs and see how they look. It could be my wga but I tested the actuator recently and it was good. But, how could it be from running higher boost if it happens as soon as the needle on my boost gauge reaches zero. My car barely sees boost because I don't want to risk a blown motor.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2003 Mazda6 3.0L Speed Yellow

Have you checked your intercooler piping to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere? Mine did that once when I forgot to tighten a coupler on the hot side.. I wondered why I wasn't able to boost at all yet I was still able to drive it.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by Metallic36 View Post
    Have you checked your intercooler piping to make sure you don't have a leak somewhere? Mine did that once when I forgot to tighten a coupler on the hot side.. I wondered why I wasn't able to boost at all yet I was still able to drive it.
    no, I will check that and see how it drives
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

2003.5 Titanium MSP

Same

Quote Originally Posted by Spiced MSP View Post
    no, I will check that and see how it drives
    Before I upgraded to the SLS Hot Pipe....the stock plastic pipe had a nice tear/hole in it...still allowing me to drive, but basically 'bucking' the second it got to 0. Sure you can get it PAST 0, but most of the air is escaping I'm sure.

Anyway, it bucked around enough to break the intake vibra-mount thing, and obviously I couldn't boost...so...it was time to fix!! But yeh, didn't see hard pipes or anything on your mod list, but maybe I skipped over it...if you have the stock one still, it might be broken now....but even when I put on the SLS pipe, the couplers weren't tight enough initially so I still had leakage.
    Injen Cold-Air Intake

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by tolagarFriS View Post
    Before I upgraded to the SLS Hot Pipe....the stock plastic pipe had a nice tear/hole in it...still allowing me to drive, but basically 'bucking' the second it got to 0. Sure you can get it PAST 0, but most of the air is escaping I'm sure.

Anyway, it bucked around enough to break the intake vibra-mount thing, and obviously I couldn't boost...so...it was time to fix!! But yeh, didn't see hard pipes or anything on your mod list, but maybe I skipped over it...if you have the stock one still, it might be broken now....but even when I put on the SLS pipe, the couplers weren't tight enough initially so I still had leakage.
    I have a FMIC, no plastic pipes anywhere. I will check all of my couplers and make sure they are tight. I just recently noticed it could be my BOV also. The piston may not be seating all the way.

Registered Member

This is my answer to everything...coil pack!

Do you get full boost otherwise?

2003 Mazda6 3.0L Speed Yellow

But he mentioned he just replaced his coils recently..

Registered Member

O...maybe they went bad?

Kidding.

I'm having trouble actually picturing his problem.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

sorry guys, I know it is hard to help. But, it is hard to actually explain what my car is doing. For instance, If I am driving at highway speeds(65+ mph), and I very slowly start giving the car more gas, the needle on my boost gauge starts to rise. As soon as the needle reaches zero, it feels like the engine rocks and the car loses a little bit of power. Someone on another forum mentioned that it could be my rear motor mount. I don't know. I am ordering the rear mount next week anyway. I already know how much of a bitch it is to replace it. But, I have access to some air powered tools and a lift at a garage here on Ft. Hood. Thanks for the info so far guys. I really appreciate it.

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by bolou17384 View Post
    ???What??? ^^^^^^

Banned

mazda speed protege

i would do both front and back. my car feels different when i did that..

2003 Mazdaspeed Protege

Quote Originally Posted by jeanspeed View Post
    i would do both front and back. my car feels different when i did that..
    yeah, I am going to order the rear mount next week, I am not looking forward to installing it though. lol

Banned

mazda speed protege

cool. i have both f and b awr i think i got 90. the car feel cool when they where installed. well good luck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast