Show me your CX-5 wheels

I wanted a flush fitment. I thought about using +45et in a 20x10 but decided I didn't want the extra weight or trying to make them fit.
255/45 +35 isn't flush though, it pokes beyond the fenders. We all have different preferences through, and I'm especially anti-poke :)

When I measured with a string from the fenders, it would take +28mm for the wheel face to be flush with the fenders. Therefore going to a 9" wheel (1" extra on the inside and 1" on the outside) at stock offset will get you very close. Then you have to select a tire that is also appropriately sized.

Further supporting my research was this post from @ziggi testing 20×9 +35.

Last edited:
When I measured with a string from the fenders, it took +28mm to be flush with the fenders. Therefore going to a 9" wheel (1" extra on the inside and 1" on the outside) at stock offset will get you very close. Then you have to select a tire that is also appropriately sized.

Further supporting my research was this post from @ziggi testing 20×9 +35.

Looks like he test fit at full droop where the camber curve goes positive causing the wheels to stick out more. I wanted my wheels flush with the bodyline, if the tires poke 3mm NBD. I did my own research and it resulted in exactly what I wanted as this is not my first rodeo.
IMG_1853 (2).JPG
IMG_1851.JPG

Looks like he test fit at full droop where the camber curve goes positive causing the wheels to stick out more. I wanted my wheels flush with the bodyline, if the tires poke 3mm NBD. I did my own research and it resulted in exactly what I wanted as this is not my first rodeo.
View attachment 328151View attachment 328152
Looks good. Reminds of another setup using 9.5 et40 wheels and a 275 tire. Had about the same amount of poke as you.

Does look good. PlusarKF, you're probably right, I hadn't considered the suspension being unweighted. I read every post on this thread at least three times trying to find someone running this setup and showing the flushness like you have. Couldn't find it and I ended up going conservative with an 8.5 width. I really do wish I'd gone wider as even the 255s on the 8.5 still feel a little skinny to me. Like N7Turbo, I didn't want any poke. Congratulations to you both though. Enjoy your purchases!

IMO that is poking out a little. If it takes +28mm to get flush, and you add 1" (25.4mm) of wheel width plus another 10mm from the offset, plus about 5mm from the tire, you would be out a total of ~12mm. That's why I kept to the stock offset.

But regardless, you're the only one who has to like it! And it looks ok.

I'll find out in a couple of days what mine look like on the car. As I was doing the ceramic coating the other day I started to think 255/45 might have been better than 245/45, but there's a fine line between perfection and overshooting, plus there's no going back now. Here's hoping you don't see a set of new DWS06 Plus for sale due to OCD.

Using stock wheels I installed 25mm front and 30mm rear spacers to reach the effect I wanted - a few mm of poke at the wide point near top of the tire when on the road. Be aware the front and rear are different by about 5mm so wheels with the same offset will look different on each end of the vehicle.

To see how this offset looks, I'm selling my spacers here:

Spacers for Sale

Using stock wheels I installed 25mm front and 30mm rear spacers to reach the effect I wanted - a few mm of poke at the wide point near top of the tire when on the road. Be aware the front and rear are different by about 5mm so wheels with the same offset will look different on each end of the vehicle.

To see how this offset looks, I'm selling my spacers here:

Spacers for Sale

Ideally you want to keep the front and rear the same width for proper handling. Having a larger rear spacer increases the possibility for rollover in a hard turn or emergency maneuvers. Glws.

but there's a fine line between perfection and overshooting

And that line varies from person to person. All that really matters is whether you, as the owner, like it or not.

I probably get a lot of head shakes from other CX-9 or mid-size SUV drivers, as well as other car enthusiasts, about my wheel fitment and how aggressive it might be to them lol

Ideally you want to keep the front and rear the same width for proper handling. Having a larger rear spacer increases the possibility for rollover in a hard turn or emergency maneuvers. Glws.
Actually, a wider track reduces the chance of a roll over, just like a cup with a wider base is less likely to tip over than one with a narrow base. But in fact a 10mm difference in track width is meaningless anyway.

Actually, a wider track reduces the chance of a roll over, just like a cup with a wider base is less likely to tip over than one with a narrow base. But in fact a 10mm difference in track width is meaningless anyway.
Yes a wider track does reduce tip over chances but when you stagger the track so that the rear is wider than the front it will have a greater chance of roll over than if you track front to rear was the same.

Theory not fact. And a 10MM difference? That's just 1/2 of 1% difference in track width. The CX-5 isn't a three-wheeler.

BTW, the BMW X3 has a 63.8" front and a 64.4" rear track - does it have a problem "rolling over"? SMH.

Back