Pics after ceramic coating on CX-50

Picked this baby up about 1.5 weeks ago. Had a 2 coat ceramic coating applied. Loving this vehicle.

car9.jpg
car11.png

Last edited by a moderator:
What is ceramic coating? Is it a film of some kind?
A ceramic coating is what is, a coating made of ceramic. It's purpose is protect the paint and clear coat and to reduce maintenance while giving the finish a beautiful glossy finish. If you would like to see it applied and a more thorough explanation, you can do so on youtube.

That was very enlightening.

A ceramic coating generally does the same thing as a wax or a sealant does, which is protect the paint from UV damage and environmental contaminants (rain/water spots, bird poop, tree sap, tar, etc.). The difference is that the ceramic coating is generally much more durable, lasting 2+ years due to the SiO2 in it's chemical makeup. A typical wax lasts 6-8 months, and primarily uses carnauba and other waxes as well as natural oils in it's chemical makeup. Application is different as well, with ceramic coating being a little harder to apply correctly, but still similar to applying wax. As a result, ceramic coating is more expensive to buy and install, while wax is much cheaper.

Some people say that waxes look like they give the paint more "depth", but I don't know if that's really true.

A ceramic coating generally does the same thing as a wax or a sealant does, which is protect the paint from UV damage and environmental contaminants (rain/water spots, bird poop, tree sap, tar, etc.). The difference is that the ceramic coating is generally much more durable, lasting 2+ years due to the SiO2 in it's chemical makeup. A typical wax lasts 6-8 months, and primarily uses carnauba and other waxes as well as natural oils in it's chemical makeup. Application is different as well, with ceramic coating being a little harder to apply correctly, but still similar to applying wax. As a result, ceramic coating is more expensive to buy and install, while wax is much cheaper.

Some people say that waxes look like they give the paint more "depth", but I don't know if that's really true.
I think it's true.

I had a 5 year ceramic done on mine - color looks great. Best part is, I get this same shine after a touchless wash and dry.

Attachments

• IMG_0416.JPG
    IMG_0416.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0417.JPG
    IMG_0417.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0418.JPG
    IMG_0418.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 112
I had a coating applied to my '20 CX5 (it was a cheaper ceramic option) but I am seriously considering going all in on the next vehicle I get and getting the full ceramic treatment.

Looks nice!

Back