Now with the CX-70 "revealed", what is everyone buying?

This is true but how much does the latter platform distribute power to the front when cornering? The former sends up to 50% to the rear.
The real issue is where is the weight and what is the feel during normal driving. A BMW xDrive distributes 40% front/ 60% rear on a normal basis. Mazda's system in the CX-5 (new generation) is up to 100% front wheel drive and distributes power based on sensor data distributing torque front to rear only. There is no left to right torque vectoring, though it will brake a slipping wheel versus a non slipping wheel on any axle.

I have not seen an exact normal and max power distribution front to rear for the CX-90 (60, 70,80), only various test sites saying that "most of the power is sent to the rear wheels" on a normal basis. I would assume they are using the same type of system as the front drivers but in reverse only driving the front wheels when necessary.

Last edited:
The real issue is where is the weight and what is the feel during normal driving. A BMW xDrive distributes 40% front/ 60% rear on a normal basis. Mazda's system in the CX-5 (new generation) is up to 100% front wheel drive and distributes power based on sensor data distributing torque front to rear only. There is no left to right torque vectoring, though it will brake a slipping wheel versus a non slipping wheel on any axle.
While my drive of the CX-50 gave me the impression of a car that rotated easier than the CX-5 (though with different tires), the AWD with G-vectoring has closed the gap quite a bit compared to my older FWD model. The weight distribution of the Turbo AWD CX-5 is 50/50 and the AWD system in the corners (yes, you need to be on throttle when cornering for best results) is also splitting power 50/50 so it's well balanced for what it is. I also just installed Corksport springs which are helping to keep the car flatter and once the new tires go on, I'll get to really see what it can do once it's no longer handicapped.

🤔
Speaking of V6, I made the decision to go with the Edge ST. Pick it up on Tuesday. Sad to leave Mazda this round but it has so much of what I was looking for. There were definitely some compromises I had to make but overall the Edge (with extended warranty and dealer discounts) is a pretty great package and not as big as the 70.

I’ll share some pics once I pick it up.
I hope the quality has improved! Never had more recalls than with my Explorer. Check out Flood Ford for an extended warranty unless you got yours included as a part of the deal.

I hope the quality has improved! Never had more recalls than with my Explorer. Check out Flood Ford for an extended warranty unless you got yours included as a part of the deal.
That is the one thing I am nervous about (quality) but hoping since it's such an old model that it will work out well in my favour. 🤞

That is the one thing I am nervous about (quality) but hoping since it's such an old model that it will work out well in my favour. 🤞
Not a good sign if you trust this list...
attachment.php

The problem with “dependability” is that it means nothing. Dependability is not reliability. It is kind of this JD Powers made up thing. You don’t know how your bluetooth work? It lowers your dependability scores.

The problem with “dependability” is that it means nothing. Dependability is not reliability. It is kind of this JD Powers made up thing. You don’t know how your bluetooth work? It lowers your dependability scores.
While there is meaning to what you're saying, the list certainly doesn't fail the "optics" test as the car makes are approximately where we "expect" them to be, no? Which ranking looks egregiously wrong?

While there is meaning to what you're saying, the list certainly doesn't fail the "optics" test as the car makes are approximately where we "expect" them to be, no? Which ranking looks egregiously wrong?

Personally, I would say no. Toyota should be higher, Chevy lower, Nissan and Honda could probably swap spots, For me, the biggest red flag is KIA being as high as they are. That could probably be it's own discussion though.

We should probably stick to the thread topic, so let's circle back to the CX-70 and it's potential alternatives.

Getting us back on track, any takers for the GV80? It'd have more serious consideration from me if Genesis somehow had way more standalone dealerships than taking space in Hyundai dealerships!

Last edited:
Getting us back on track, any takers for the GV80? It'd have more serious consideration from me if Genesis somehow had way more standalone dealerships than taking space in KIA dealerships!

Agreed, the GV80 (and GV70) have some prominent design features that I'm on the fence about, but their on-road presence is undeniable.

I was seriously considering the GV-70, but from my research their reliability has fallen out like a rock. And the dealer network and supply chain is not very good at resolving the problems in a timely fashion under warranty. So even if you are leasing, it is quite annoying.

Consumer reports has taken it off their recommended list because of it. And looking into it there are tons of negative comments on the support and reliability side on the net.

Plus their selling point of their valet services is falling appart because their dealership can’t support the influx of car repair required. The only good side is that they seem fairly good at providing loaner car, but that is only if the fault is critical. (For example, they have rear diff problems and will give a loaner for that, but if your AWD light is on in the summer or your infotainment 360 camera does not work then you may just be driving it like that for 3 months while they wait for the parts).

Even on comments section of let’s say a Caranddriver magazine GV-70 review, you see people complaining about their issues with their GV-70. This is pretty unusual.

From consumer reports:
The GV-80 is declared one of the least reliable car and the GV-70 is no longer recommended. I don’t fully trust consumer reports reliability’s ratings and list, but when cars are at the bottom of the list, there is a reason. Genesis is at the top of the JD Powers dependability study though…

1715003983884.png

1715003932053.png

Last edited:
Getting us back on track, any takers for the GV80? It'd have more serious consideration from me if Genesis somehow had way more standalone dealerships than taking space in Hyundai dealerships!
I had my wife test drive the GV70. We had the 4 banger for the test drive. She ranked it in a tie for 2nd with the CX-50 with the X5 #1. She also liked the RDX. If I was going for a 4 banger, the RDX is hard to beat for the price in the luxury segment. In Huntsville, Genesis is taking over the current Hyundai dealership and building a big Hyundai dealership where the other lower rent dealers are located.

Big issue with Genesis is by the time you option them out, you might as well have the BMW. The Genesis has more techno features, but the BMW basic vehicle is better. The X3 would be comprable to the GV70 in size while the X5 closer to the GV80 which is a small 3-row. A X3 M40i ($61,000) has a 382hp inline 6, but also has all the M package with upgraded active suspension and bracing and stuff. The 6 banger GV70 basically is just a normal GV70 with a375hp 6 cylinder motor ($57000). Plus Genesis gas mileage sucks. The The GV70 is 187" and the GV80 195" That is what the CX-70 and CX-90 should have been. I'm way past wanting a land yacht!

I had my wife test drive the GV70. We had the 4 banger for the test drive. She ranked it in a tie for 2nd with the CX-50 with the X5 #1. She also liked the RDX. If I was going for a 4 banger, the RDX is hard to beat for the price in the luxury segment. In Huntsville, Genesis is taking over the current Hyundai dealership and building a big Hyundai dealership where the other lower rent dealers are located.

Big issue with Genesis is by the time you option them out, you might as well have the BMW. The Genesis has more techno features, but the BMW basic vehicle is better. The X3 would be comprable to the GV70 in size while the X5 closer to the GV80 which is a small 3-row. A X3 M40i ($61,000) has a 382hp inline 6, but also has all the M package with upgraded active suspension and bracing and stuff. The 6 banger GV70 basically is just a normal GV70 with a375hp 6 cylinder motor ($57000). Plus Genesis gas mileage sucks. The The GV70 is 187" and the GV80 195" That is what the CX-70 and CX-90 should have been. I'm way past wanting a land yacht!
Genesis and Acura fuel economy are both pretty abysmal (especially any Acura w/SHAWD)!

Back