Major warning: Alternator or Charging System Malfunction? Mazda3

Just out of warranty 36772 miles and here it comes:

"If the warning light illuminates while driving, it indicates a malfunction of the alternator or of the charging system.
Drive to the side of the road and park off the right-of-way. Consult an Authorized Mazda Dealer."

Has anyone had this issue before and what could it be? I am going now to but new battery at COSTCO.
Thank you for replies

Attachments

• image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    26.5 KB · Views: 51
Go to Autozone and get the battery and alternator tested for free.

Don't just buy a battery you may not need.

Autozone say s faulty charging system. But seriosuly 3.5 year ol car to have alterator broke. And why car runs fine when jumped start. That tells me lternator is working fine.

No, a running motor after a jump doesn't mean the alternator is fine. The battery just needs to output the smallest of charges to keep the engine running. Only when you run that battery down to literally nothing, will the car not run after a jump.

I've literally run a car with a disconnected alternator for 100 miles on a near dead battery before it didn't have enough juice to spark the spark plugs. I popped in a new battery I had and ran it for another 150 miles with no issue to home where I got it fixed.

What was the voltage output on the alternator? If it's putting out 13.5v...it should be ok.

Thank you. I popped up new AMG Costco Interstate battery Saturday, so far so good. Tested in AutoZone and voltage was fine and no alternator failure massage. Hope this is it ...but not super excited about Mazda tbh. Will keep everyone updated. Called dealership and on my surprise service guy told me that alternator do not fail that early and that Mazda bad battery can give that kind of warning. But, of course, he suggested I come and diagnose it for 199$. Alternator replacement is 1200$ lol. Will keep folks posted here after few days ...

Back