CX-5 Hood Lift Assist

Pitter

Pitter
Contributor
:
2020 CX-5 Signature Azul Metalico
I'm surprised that with power everything else the Signature has a completely mechanical hood lift system with the hood being rather heavy. My former Renault Duster had hydraulic struts to lift and hold the hood and cost less than half the Signature. I guess Mazda had to stop somewhere.

I don't know if the CX-9 and CX-5 hoods are made of different metals, but the CX-9 hood isn't heavy at all. I don't mind having a prop rod as it's much less likely to fail than hood struts. If you really want hood struts, you can buy aftermarket ones for like $30-50 USD and install them yourself.

Good information but still surprised.

I agree that it is odd that something like this isn't included, given Mazda's push towards becoming more of a premium brand. I'd be willing to bet that 2021 or 2022 models will get hood dampers as standard equipment.

I agree that it is odd that something like this isn't included, given Mazda's push towards becoming more of a premium brand. I'd be willing to bet that 2021 or 2022 models will get hood dampers as standard equipment.

I think she's talking about a lift to raise the hood automatically like the rear hatch. Push the button and the hood rises.

Only vehicles that need to be serviced frequently need hood lifts...and even then, who is the hood lift helping but the mechanic. (wink)

Only vehicles that need to be serviced frequently need hood lifts...and even then, who is the hood lift helping but the mechanic. (wink)

You know, that's what I thought as I was installing those after-market hood struts on my Reserve. I just paid for something I hope to get minimal use of.

But they were less than $30. And they do work well.

I had a'56 IHC S 120 4x4 that let you open the hood from either side.

Don't you check your oil level?

Oh, yeah.

I also like to keep the washer fluid topped off (it's a safety issue to me).
And these will sure make it all a little easier.

But it's just not an every day use kinda thing.

I had a'56 IHC S 120 4x4 that let you open the hood from either side.

I had a 1959 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite where you lifted the entire front half of the body.

iu

Makes my back ache remembering what it was like to contort underneath that thing.

I think she's talking about a lift to raise the hood automatically like the rear hatch. Push the button and the hood rises.

No, I don't think so. Pitter (who is a dude, that's his wife in his avatar picture) wrote Hood Lift Assist in the title. What you're talking about is an electric hood opener. You can buy the parts to put together your own kit, but it would be pretty expensive.

That is super dangerous. Imagine going at highway speeds and hitting that button.

There is a reason why there is a two stage safety catch on the front hood.

That is super dangerous. Imagine going at highway speeds and hitting that button.

And hopefully the 2 stage latch functions properly. One of my ex-coworkers who actually wound up being interviewed by Consumer Reports for an article about defects such as that, had the hood of his older Honda Accord unlatch & fly up against his windshield while going 60 mph on the highway. Fortunately he was able to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the highway & stop safely.

Not that I would want one but I would assume Mazda would disable it when the car was not in park.

And hopefully the 2 stage latch functions properly. One of my ex-coworkers who actually wound up being interviewed by Consumer Reports for an article about defects such as that, had the hood of his older Honda Accord unlatch & fly up against his windshield while going 60 mph on the highway. Fortunately he was able to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the highway & stop safely.

This is not unheard of.

This latch needs to be greased every 5 years or so because they can pop open enough and stay stuck open just enough to have this happen. On an older car...the car WILL be totaled. You will destroy your roof/cowl and crack the windshield.

-Mike

Not that I would want one but I would assume Mazda would disable it when the car was not in park.

Don't give them any ideas. Yet another sensor.

Wait! They could add an override to override the parking brake override!

Don't give them any ideas. Yet another sensor.

Wait! They could add an override to override the parking brake override!

I have nightmares that my car will start singing Bicycle Built For Two in a creepy soothing tone and take over control as I'm going down the road.

Back