hat1018's build thread

I don't know if anyone cares to follow this thread anymore but I am curious to get some opinions on something.
Is a 2003 Protege5 with 150k+ on the clock really worth putting ~$1000 worth of parts and labor into?

I don't know if anyone cares to follow this thread anymore but I am curious to get some opinions on something.
Is a 2003 Protege5 with 150k+ on the clock really worth putting ~$1000 worth of parts and labor into?

How is the motor and trans? I mean are you looking to get something else or is worthwhile to you to keep modding the car?

I think it really depends on how long you want to keep the car. You're basically doing a completed suspension overhaul so really the only mechanical things you'd have to worry about is drive train, brakes. And as always rust.

You could host an install day and save some $ on the labor? Although I didn't have luck when doing my wheel bearings and ended up needing new LCA's because of my handy work.

We still plan to get Jen a CX5 in the fall. I have to decide between the 3 and the P5 to use as my car.

I won't even consider doing the wheel bearings.

The engine and trans seem fine. I need to do the shifter bushings. Nothing serious.

We still plan to get Jen a CX5 in the fall. I have to decide between the 3 and the P5 to use as my car.

well there you go, if you decide on the p5 I'd say it's worth it.

I won't even consider doing the wheel bearings.

The engine and trans seem fine. I need to do the shifter bushings. Nothing serious.

I won't ever again, might want to add that to your list if you haven't already. Shifter bushings are pretty easy and are about $30 from corksport

I love my P5! It is more comfortable for me than the 3 is. Manual trans as well. Problem is there is a growing rust issue. We all know that will never go away.

Yes I have to have the bearings done, one of the fronts are howling now and since the front end will be apart I might as well do both. Right?

I've done the front bearings a few times. Time consuming but not super difficult. The big hold up is needing a press. I usually just hit a local machine shop for $30.

Bare in mind the Black P5 had 234k miles on the original motor. So if you lucked out with a motor that isn't burning oil then the old girl will last quite a while and you won't have a car payment.

Keep the P5, imho. They are easy to work on, parts are cheap and you know the platform pretty well already.

Larry did you do twi timed auto-x's last year? If you did, you need to submit your results to Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development? You can gets parts cheaper and you will also goe S-Plan pricing on new Mazda's as well. If not, I can always get you a pin.

This is exactly where I am at. I am seriously looking for a new car, just can't seem to find the specific one I want.

Bare in mind the Black P5 had 234k miles on the original motor. So if you lucked out with a motor that isn't burning oil then the old girl will last quite a while and you won't have a car payment.

Keep the P5, imho. They are easy to work on, parts are cheap and you know the platform pretty well already.

And if Larry isn't sure about something, there are A LOT of us that have wrenched on them, willing to help.

Larry did you do twi timed auto-x's last year? If you did, you need to submit your results to Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development? You can gets parts cheaper and you will also goe S-Plan pricing on new Mazda's as well. If not, I can always get you a pin.

Yes I did run 2 auto crosses last year. I'm not sure if there would be much/any benefit to signing up for Mazdaspeed thing. I will however hit you up on that pin.

And if Larry isn't sure about something, there are A LOT of us that have wrenched on them, willing to help.

I know but the problem is you guys are there and I am here. I wouldn't ask anyone to put in a 2+ hour round trip to come and wrench on my car. Even though I am sure that any of you guys would willingly do it.

I know but the problem is you guys are there and I am here. I wouldn't ask anyone to put in a 2+ hour round trip to come and wrench on my car. Even though I am sure that any of you guys would willingly do it.

You said it yourself. Hell, we drive that sort of distance to go to dinner. You know we take care of our own.

Back