Best budget scanner / code reader? Nissan Lafesta (B35) / Mazda5 2011

Hi, whats the best value (cheap) scanner (code reader & reset)?
Or what works for you?
My abs & traction & brake warning dash lights stay on (happen after coming off a shingle hilly road (done >100km since but still on).
Its a nissan lafesta 2011 (a Mazda5 2011 renamed nissan lafesta for Japanese market). A Japanese import which I suspect may be lying about its age/km. My 1st computer car, which I'm regretting, get me back to old analogue. Why can't they be user friendly & be able to have the codes to be read via the cars dash screen? Heaps$ & time to scan it, heaps$ to reset it, so makes sense to buy a scanner, what works for you?

I've use UltraGauge. Purchased back in 2013. Works for what I want (to read codes and reset them when needed). I know it works on 2008, 2012, and 2015 Mazda 5. Cost is $84 to $94. I was actually thinking of buying the bluetooth model, but it was discontinued in Jan 2022.

Ditto on Forscan, any old laptop and a $20 usb adapter is the way to go (they have a list on the official site of recommendations) ELM327-compatible adapters - how to choose - FORScan forum

Bought it for my Ford Escape and was delighted to find it worked with the Mazda too.
I've got an OBDLink EX I use with an old laptop running ForScan. Works pretty well, you get all the codes and can make adjustments to some ECU values if you want, too.
Hi, I get a message saying that it is 'Unable to identify the vehicle' and asks to enter a strategy/calibration name or part number.'
The example number given by Forscan (for a later model Ford Diesel) works PC3A-14C204-FGB, it gives fault codes for my abs which I'm trying to repair, not brave enough to reset though.
But I can't find the equivalent number for the Mazda5 2011 alias Nissan lafesta highway star 2011.
Do you have the number? Or does Forscan recognize your mazda5? Can't find a number that works on my pump/ecu.
Thanks for any help.

When I connected to my 2012 Mazda5, Forscan picked up on it right away. I didn't see any numbers in the software without being connected to my van, so I'll have to check in the car later today.

Edit:
Forscan pulls it up as: Mazda Premacy/Mazda5 L5 2.5L 2012
According to a connection guide, this might be the value you're looking for: L5E1-188K2-B

No promises.

Last edited:
Just wanted to share, I'm using:
Vgate vLinker FS ELM327 For Ford FORScan + PC
Newest ELM327 V1.5 PIC18F25K80 Chip ELM 327 (BT 25k80) + Android

Now that you've mentioned the part number, I did some research, here's a link that might help you find the matching part number by searching through car models/gen
(Use google translate)

When I connected to my 2012 Mazda5, Forscan picked up on it right away. I didn't see any numbers in the software without being connected to my van, so I'll have to check in the car later today.

Edit:
Forscan pulls it up as: Mazda Premacy/Mazda5 L5 2.5L 2012
According to a connection guide, this might be the value you're looking for: L5E1-188K2-B

No promises.
Thanks, I'll give it a try tomorrow (just what I was after) & thanks for taking the time to check it out.
:)

Last edited:
Just wanted to share, I'm using:
Vgate vLinker FS ELM327 For Ford FORScan + PC
Newest ELM327 V1.5 PIC18F25K80 Chip ELM 327 (BT 25k80) + Android

Now that you've mentioned the part number, I did some research, here's a link that might help you find the matching part number by searching through car models/gen
(Use google translate)
Thanks that's an interesting & useful site.
The only mention of the Nissan l. on Forscan forum was a 1/2 doz Russian posts, but nothing related to recognizing the ecu.
A quick search of your site brings up possibly several numbers eg LFDV-188K2-D similar to MolarCraft. My car has C570-437AZ-A, which didn't work, so a named Mazda should work, I can try them all.
Hopeful.

This from the site;
'Firmware information:Car: Mazda 5This software version can also be found on one of the following cars: Mazda Premacy or Nissan Lafesta (B35)Control system: Gen2 / Mitsubishi MPC5565 (2048kb)Software identifiers: LFDV-188K2-D_LFDVED000LFGA0A0To select and identify firmware for this control system for the format of our catalog, you can use the Mazda car firmware identification module.

Last edited:
Just some info, (for forscan)-after trying many old windows os, in an old 4GB 2007 ASUS Eee Netbook
, without success,
worked, had all the drivers, (not sure if it has internet access/wifi driver etc).
Its so small/cutdown it doesn't require a product key.

big Thanks! to MolarCraft & hleboklop
My engine is only 2l, 2011 but your code for a 2.5l, 2012 worked fined for the abs (wouldn't use it to tune the engine).
Loads of abs related fault codes listed, but a bit of a fiddle with them (not a clue what I'm doing) & then I rebooted the abs module, worked like a charm, took it for a quick drive, no warning lights, Yah!
Here's holding my breath until it passes it's annual road safety inspection.
The biggest time investment was trying to replace a Linux os with win7 on an old laptop.
All in all 9 weeks just to reboot my abs, not user friendly.

Last edited:
big Thanks! to MolarCraft & hleboklop
My engine is only 2l, 2011 but your code for a 2.5l, 2012 worked fined for the abs (wouldn't use it to tune the engine).
Loads of abs related fault codes listed, but a bit of a fiddle with them (not a clue what I'm doing) & then I rebooted the abs module, worked like a charm, took it for a quick drive, no warning lights, Yah!
Here's holding my breath until it passes it's annual road safety inspection.
The biggest time investment was trying to replace a Linux os with win7 on an old laptop.
All in all 9 weeks just to reboot my abs, not user friendly.

Glad it worked out!

Latest posts

Back