Switched to 5W-30 from 0W-20

dont worry. The oil is good even if its on the thinner side. And if you dont have Turbo and dont live in the desert :)
the thinner oil is said to be noisy though. it sure was in my n/a engine. i switched to maxlife synthetic blend for this last oil change (supposedly the same viscosity? didn't realize a 0w-20 blend even existed), and the engine is running MUCH quieter than before.

the thinner oil is said to be noisy though. it sure was in my n/a engine. i switched to maxlife synthetic blend for this last oil change (supposedly the same viscosity? didn't realize a 0w-20 blend even existed), and the engine is running MUCH quieter than before.
that's weird, I thought motor oil had to be synthetic to be a 0w grade.

Replaced the standard, non-magnetic drain plug (M14x1.5)

s-l500.jpg

with a magnetic drain plug.

61BL4jFU9RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

what car takes that OEM drain bolt? Ours is black, with a flat round head, and takes a 8mm hex Allen wrench/socket.

All 2018- come with it. Mazda switched to it, probably because mechanics were smashing the hex :)
I think it may be compatible and you can replace your existing flat hex. Used to be around 8usd back in 2019

Last edited:
that's weird, I thought motor oil had to be synthetic to be a 0w grade.
you're telling me. it could be a typo on the invoice and it was really 5w-20, or even 5w-30. as long as the engine is designed to run it and the engine doesn't sound like a 70s mercedes diesel (or better yet 80s GM diesel), i should be OK.

you're telling me. it could be a typo on the invoice and it was really 5w-20, or even 5w-30. as long as the engine is designed to run it and the engine doesn't sound like a 70s mercedes diesel (or better yet 80s GM diesel), i should be OK.
Yes the Valvoline High Mileage with MaxLife Technology is a blend and does offer 0W-20 viscosity.

C162BD5B-D23C-47D4-B6C1-8F732BD6F2AC.jpeg

lololol my parents had a 4-cylinder diesel Oldsmobile (I think) when I was a little kid in the 80's. That car was a massive POS :ROFLMAO:

Yes the Valvoline High Mileage with MaxLife Technology is a blend and does offer 0W-20 viscosity.

View attachment 322395
I would be concerned about the rather high Noack volatility (evaporative loss shown as < 15%) contributing to deposits, especially on valves in a GDI engine which don't get washed from fuel mixture flow. Or deposits causing sticking on the low tension piston rings that are prevalent these days. JMO

I would be concerned about the rather high Noack volatility (evaporative loss shown as < 15%) contributing to deposits, especially on valves in a GDI engine which don't get washed from fuel mixture flow. Or deposits causing sticking on the low tension piston rings that are prevalent these days. JMO
That's one of the things I try to look for. You'd be hard pressed to find a very low NOACK oil on the shelves of Walmart or any auto parts store. Most oil companies don't even show that number on their data sheets. I'm surprised Valvoline is showing that.

Last edited:
Based on several research reports mentioned here, low NOACK oil actually increases the intake valve deposit on GDI engines. 🧐

Best NOACK for 0w20

Based on several research reports mentioned here, low NOACK oil actually increases the intake valve deposit on GDI engines. 🧐

Best NOACK for 0w20
I'm not disagreeing with what you found, seems to be an ongoing debate. Research on this subject seems to evolve as we learn more about what happens in a GDI engine as time passes by.

A few other links

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/noak-evaporation-and-gdi-engines.324400/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrLNDgrIw3U

https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/03/choosing-right-oil/

That Mobile 1 EP is a damn good oil, although formulations tend to change from time to time.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing the links above. I found the Castro Edge 5w-30 results intriguing for the bar chart shared at BITOG. Very low deposits. Going to give that a shot.

Thanks for sharing the links above. I found the Castro Edge 5w-30 results intriguing for the bar chart shared at BITOG. Very low deposits. Going to give that a shot.
Would love to see this chart. Need to do an oil change here fairly soon.

Always been happy with my Castrol Edge. I've used it and Pennzoil Platinum and I'd give the nod to Castrol based on my oil reports.

I took a screenshot of TEOST test results when I fell down a hole from the BITOG link shared above. There’s debate on whether or not the TEOST test correlates with preventing intake valve deposits, but it’s less controversial believing it’s tied to preventing deposits in the turbo.

What I didn’t screenshot was that the Castrol was on the higher end of the NOACK results (higher being “worse”). Take that for what you will.
IMG_5555.png

I personally would like to use Castrol Edge SP/ GF-6 oil when I switch. But I’d keep using Mazda OEM oil filter as I don’t like those “one-size-fit-all” after-market oil filters; and my Mazda dealer sells the OEM 1WPE-14-302 Denso filer for $6.80 each with a free drain-plug aluminum washer.
So you think Castrol Edge SP/GF-6 ( 5W-30 ) is preferable over the OE 0w-20 Mazda oil w/moly ? Im up to speed with the US being the only country that uses ow-20 instead of 5w-30 - I checked with Mazda and looked at the 5w-30 oil- no moly - I did first oil change recently at about 5500 mi and stayed OE with 0w-20 w/moly Mazda oil --- Drove it 1500 miles in 5 days and got 31mpg --95% freeway stuff ---- It seems my factory ow-20 oil got better mileage ? was it in fact 0w-20 ? or did it have other lubricants in it for break in ? Seems different -- ?? What say you 52 ?

I took a screenshot of TEOST test results when I fell down a hole from the BITOG link shared above. There’s debate on whether or not the TEOST test correlates with preventing intake valve deposits, but it’s less controversial believing it’s tied to preventing deposits in the turbo.

What I didn’t screenshot was that the Castrol was on the higher end of the NOACK results (higher being “worse”). Take that for what you will.
View attachment 322541
You have to watch, formulations change quickly. Not disagreeing with you but that post is over 4 years old. Interesting results nonetheless. Yes, the rabbit hole is deep on these topics.

You have to watch, formulations change quickly. Not disagreeing with you but that post is over 4 years old. Interesting results nonetheless. Yes, the rabbit hole is deep on these topics.
All you can really do is check the label on the bottle and see if it meets the spec in the owners manual. Any oil that meets the spec will work. That chart was an interesting result as I rarely ever see that level of detail shared. Another issue would be the source of the study. It was likely Amsoil that did it.

So you think Castrol Edge SP/GF-6 ( 5W-30 ) is preferable over the OE 0w-20 Mazda oil w/moly ? Im up to speed with the US being the only country that uses ow-20 instead of 5w-30 - I checked with Mazda and looked at the 5w-30 oil- no moly - I did first oil change recently at about 5500 mi and stayed OE with 0w-20 w/moly Mazda oil --- Drove it 1500 miles in 5 days and got 31mpg --95% freeway stuff ---- It seems my factory ow-20 oil got better mileage ? was it in fact 0w-20 ? or did it have other lubricants in it for break in ? Seems different -- ?? What say you 52 ?
The reason why I plan to switch from my current Mazda 0W-20 moly oil to Castrol Edge 5W-30 oil is twofold. Firstly I prefer Mazda worldwide approved 5W-30 viscosity than 0W-20 for less valve noise being reported by many 2.5L NA owners here. Secondly the price has gone up significantly on Mazda parts nowadays, and its 0W-20 moly oil now is $11.15 per quart MSRP comparing to $7 per quart in old days when I bought a couple of cases. I simply feel it’s now over-priced even with high moly content in oil. Remember Mazda’s 5W-30 factory fill in 2.5T has minimum moly content, as Mazda doesn’t offer moly oil on 5W-30 viscosity.

Back